Search

Question/help please

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question/help please

Hi Everyone,
Im now am sure I will be going to Cambodia first week of Feb. Do u suggest P.P.??Never been. I can fly to P.P. from Bkk.Stay 3 days Then take a bus to Siem Reap 4 days good idea?I was in Siem Reap last yr for 5 days never to P.P.though.
Or,fly into Siem Reap then to P.P..Any other ideas while there. Fly to laos? Vietnam?I have the whole month.

Thanks alot!
zoso
Old Dec 17th, 2012, 08:30 AM

I would definitely visit PP, a great city with good food and lots to keep your interest for 3 or 4 days. I would probably go to SR first, then a bus to PP. from PP it is approx 5 hours to Kratie, a nice riverside town which is stepping point to the Lao border at Stung Treng where you can get a boat up the Mekong to Lao and the Si Phan Don (4000 islands) area, very laid back. Lots to see in southern Laos like the Bolavens plateau, Tad Lo, Wat Phu etc. I would then head for Luang Prabang en route to the far north; Muang Sing, Phongsali etc. which is a really rural but exceptionally beautiful part of Asia. Travel in this area is a lot easier than it was but you might like to consider a guide/ driver to make the most of it. www.travelfish.org is a good site for planning and more info.
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

Many thanks so much to do never enough tine it seems!!

Also, does anyone knoew about cell phone service in Thailand?
To call the U.S.?
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 01:25 PM

If you have a GSM phone, it will work just fine in Thailand. However, last I checked, it was $3.99 a minute. If your phone has a sim card, you can purchase a thai based sim card when you get there and then load money onto it as you need it. (you can buy a basic thai phone cheap also)Can buy extra time at 7-11's etc in 50 baht increments. I usually buy 200 baht at a time. (one two call is the provider I use) Calling the states with one two call runs 9 baht per minute.(about 33 cents. Here is their website..
http://www.ais.co.th/12call/en/service.html
Old Dec 18th, 2012, 02:03 PM

I really enjoyed a stop at Kompong Cham which is on the road to Kratie. We spent a day being taken round the district by tuk tuk. The dolphins at Kratie are also worth a stop over. Crossing the border at Stung Treng was easy but we were coming the other way. From Laos to Cambodia. A lot of backpackers were going both ways but you may have to wait an hour or so for the buses to link up.

Phnom Penh is definitely worth a visit. I like both Laos and Vietnam so take your pick. The former is fairly laid back while Vietnam is not so laid back. (To put it mildly!!)