Search

Question for Cicerone ...

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2006, 08:27 PM
Les
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for Cicerone ...

In response to one of your many helpful recommendations in an answer to a previous post of mine, I procured a copy of Jason Wordie's book, Streets, Exploring Hong Kong Island. I'm working my way through it now, and find it very interesting.
I'm particularly interested in his description of Graham Street in Central. However, he does caveat this description with , "...but all of this is soon to change as the area is slated for eventual demolition and redevelopment." Since the book was published in (I believe) 2002 (the latest version I could find), I'm curious as to whether Graham Street (and others, I'm sure) is still as he describes it? If you're familiar with the area, perhaps you can tell me (of course, if anyone else knows the answer, I would like to hear from you).
Thanks.
Old Oct 12th, 2006, 09:07 PM

Graham Street has probably changed a little in terms of there being more trendy restaurants on it than Chinese vegetable shops which used to outnumber the restaurants; now the reverse is the case. However, the buildings are still there, it has not been redeveloped to that extent like other parts of the island, e.g. parts of the old market areas of Wan Chai where buildings have and are being pulled down and replaced with skyscrapers. I will get out my copy of Jason’s book and compare what he says with what I see on Graham Street over this weekend, as I am in that area most days or nights on the weekends. I still find it a very interesting area to walk around if for nothing else than the juxtaposition of the trendy restaurants next to the Chinese vegetable shops….and every once and a while you come across a temple, like the tiny one on the steps Peel Street where it intersects with Staunton Street which is a nice surprise.
Old Oct 13th, 2006, 12:03 PM
pep

Hi Cicerone

I left a question on "Hong Kong guide" thread. I can search all your old posts but I thought you might have some quick answers. Would you mind???

Thanks
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 06:26 PM

Les, having re-read Jason’s piece on Graham Street, I was initially concerned because his piece focuses on the lower part which runs into Queens Road, where there has been quite a bit of development. However, I am happy to say that I went on Saturday morning to the lower part of Graham Street and nothing at all has changed, the markets are still there and are very lively. I don’t think Jason gives them quite the justice they deserve, as he focuses more on the medicine shops, but there are lots of fruit, veg, meat and fish markets in this area, and also along Gage Street as well. As Graham Street is narrow and pedestrian-only it may be saved from the wrecking ball for a while yet. Also, it is not really until you cross Hollywood Road and get into Soho proper that the trendy restaurants start outnumbering the veg stalls. I shop so much in the Wanchai market now that I had forgotten about this interesting market area on lower Graham. It is definitely worth a walk. Also take in Gage, and Peel Streets as well.

Pep, I will find some of old replies and add what I can and will repost here. I would certainly include Graham Street from Queens Road East all the way up into the Soho area as something to do, there are tourists for sure, but lots of locals as well.

Old Oct 15th, 2006, 09:22 PM
Les
Original Poster

Cicerone,
Once again, thank you! It's kind of you to go out of your way to answer these questions, and very much appreciated.
Les
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:16 AM
pep

Ditto. I can't believe how much time you must devote to everyone's questions!
Old Oct 16th, 2006, 05:39 PM

Actually I don't devote that much time, you would be surprised how often the same question is asked, so I just recycle posts. I also decided to answer a few posts thoroughly rather than a lot of posts briefly; I only post really on Hong Kong, India (where there are a lot of travellers going for the first time and not many people who have been) and Zurich (where I used to live). I also have a very good assistant who takes care of lots of stuff for me, i.e. if I need to know the bus schedule to Shek-O or a flight schedule from Delhi to Hyderabad she can get if for me, and today she is taking care of my car registration, leaving me time to write posts....(she also gets lunch, drycleaning and waters plants, they don't make 'em like that anymore!)
Old Oct 17th, 2006, 12:19 AM

Cicerone, thanks posting. i have gone through many of your posts about hong kong; they are very helpful. i just created a non-commercial travel forums for people to help each other. you and other people are welcome to join.

http://www.hngweb.com/asia_travel/
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 12:20 PM
pep

Cicerone

Any off the beaten path, really unknown non-touristy places you'd recommend? Any smaller islands besides the usual suspects that one should visit?
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 04:45 PM

Pep, if you like hiking, climb the Lion Rock Mountain. Here is the picture I took of the Lion Rock in 1994. http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ng/lion_mt.jpg
Old Oct 19th, 2006, 05:12 PM

pep, I am working on a longish reply for you; putting together a mish mash of other replies I have made and trying to make a proper list of stuff. Should be maybe next week. As your trip is not until late November you have time, none of this stuff I am suggesting requires reseverations.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 04:44 AM
pep

Thanks J and Cicerone. Have a great weekend!
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 02:07 AM

Pep, my response turned out to be 15 pages, so I have posted it separately, it is called "Cicerone’s Reccos for What the Locals Do for Fun in Hong Kong (Hint: We DON’T Go to those Awful Night Markets....)"

FYI, weather is absolutely fantatic now; the humidty starting dropping about 2 weeks ago and temps are now down into the low 80s and high 70s and it basically won't rain until mid-January. Really wonderful if you just ignore the smog, which we are all trying to do...
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 09:05 AM

Cicerone

When I went to Hong Kong in 2004 to visit relatives, I was planning to do some hiking, but was warned by some people (relatives, friends - who actually don't hike) that one may get mugged in the trails. They said they've seen news of people getting mugged.

They were saying that someones illegals from Mainland would smuggle guns into Hong Kong, and hide in the trails waiting for hikers.

I know this sounds absurd: what about if no one shows up at the trails?? wouldn't the muggers be waiting in vain? It's not a very sure way of making a living!

Anyways I had to abandon the idea of trekking because I did feel uneasy after that.

Are these just made-up tales or is it something that ene be should be concerned about?
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 05:39 PM

I believe there have been five reported cases, two of which occurred in Tai Tam Park and one on the Pok Folum trail on Hong Kong Island, and two on the Lion Rock trail in Kowloon. All but one of them took place in 2004, and the last case was in 2005. In none of the cases was anyone hurt, money, mobile phones and ATM cards were taken. In no cases did the thieves have a gun, they used knives (still scary I admit, but much less chance of a mis-firing or a nervous triggerman). In all cases the thieves were mainland Chinese in Hong Kong on temporary visas, it is my understanding that this was actually a ring which was broken up in late 2005. Because crime is so rare here, these things tend to get quite overblown in the press, and according to my bi-lingual friends, even more sensationalized in the Chinese press. I would not be concerned. I would not hike alone in any event just for your own safety in case you got hurt.
Old Oct 31st, 2006, 06:05 PM

Pep, also if you are thinking of going to Macau, the Grand Prix is being held there November 16-19 this year. If you like Grand Prix Formula 1 racing, then you should go (get tickets ASAP, go to http://www.macau.grandprix.gov.mo); if you don't then avoid Macau on those days and IMO for the few days beforeand maybe the day after as they will be setting up and taking down stands, etc.
Old Nov 2nd, 2006, 11:47 AM
pep

THANKS!!!!!!!!