Question about malaria in Sri Lanka

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4th, 2013, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I will be near Matale, Sri lanka in July for a Habitat for Humanity build. Malaria pills are suggested but not required. We are wondering if anyone who has been to central Sri Lanka has taken malaria medication? We did take Malarone when we were building in Zambia, but it was not really a suggestion in that case.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 04:07 PM

Yes, we took malarone when we were there in 2007. The war was still going on and mosquito control was a low priority in the country.

What does the cdc say? And have you looked at the malarial maps at the NHS website, fitfortravel?

Of course, you will need to use repellant carefully whether or not you take malarone.

I would make my decision based on the cdc and nhs, and would also take into consideration how likely you are to get bitten. I'm one of those people who is so delectable that I get bitten even using a good deet repellant.

I also think that if Habitat recommend anti-malarials, it's a good idea.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 04:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I also took Malarone. Matale is not one of the places the CDC says is low risk. Plus, if you're volunteering with Habitat I imagine you will be spending a lot of time outside.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 11:23 PM

Malaria is much less of an issue in Sri Lanka than Dengue which is also mosquito borne. Best is to prevent bites by using repellents.

My doctor had said it is not worth using Malarial Prophylactics as the risk is relatively low and the side effects are much higher. According to him it is easier and better strategy to treat the rare case of malaria if contracted than to use Prophylactics in a low risk zone.

Any case YOU MUST check with your doctor.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 01:25 AM

Malaria is NOT a major prevalent issue here in Sri Lanka. If you are planning on a long term stay you may want to consider some sort of vaccination.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 03:46 AM

When exactly did they discover a vaccine for Malaria zackey???

A link to the NHS website for Sri Lanka
http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/desti...sri-lanka.aspx

And the map

http://www.fitfortravel.nhs.uk/desti...laria-map.aspx
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 04:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That doctor's advice is all very well if you're not an exception and a disaster if you are. Do you forego insurance because a disaster is unlikely? I would find another doctor.
Old Jun 5th, 2013, 05:10 AM

Mohammed, Malarone makes no sense for you, as you live in Sri Lanka. But for someone going to build houses in central Sri Lanka, it may make sense.

The malaria map is significantly different now than it was in 2007, indicating that the overall risk is less than it was.

katt, I hope you have a travel clinic you can consult with to make this decision.
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 04:06 AM

I repeat again that Dengue has become much more of a serious problem whereas malaria is very rare. Dengue can only be prevented by preventing mosquito bites. It's is a major national issue, do see this article in todays press, http://www.colombopage.com/archive_1...70492353KA.php
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Looks like we'll take Malarone since we did not experience any side effects the last time we took it and also pack a supply of repellant with DEET. From what I've been reading, the emphasis is on Dengue Fever. While mosquitos are not attracted to my husband, they have always seen me as the perfect appetizer, main dish, and dessert. Thank you very much for taking the time to reply!