Quarantine in Vietnam - one traveller’s experience

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2020, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just read a very interesting article about the experiences of one traveller quarantined in Saigon:

https://vietnamcoracle.com/the-quara...az-in-vietnam/

Old Apr 18th, 2020, 07:00 AM

Received 83 Likes on 5 Posts
That was fascinating crellston - thanks for posting.
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 07:10 AM

Interesting! Thank you for sharing it!
Old Apr 18th, 2020, 07:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks, crellston. Sounds like Vietnam is doing a great job.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 07:34 AM

Seems like the government did very well to make a tough situation tolerable and manageable and the people quarantined coped as good as can be expected. The food looked pretty good too!

Here people are sheltered in place in the comforts of their own homes for around 6 weeks now but some are protesting outside a few state capitals saying their freedom is being denied.

Thank you for this article.
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

I saw those protests on the UK News last night. I wonder how those protesters would feel when their freedom is denied through being admitted to an intensive care ward?

We are in touch with Vietnamese friends and they do seem to be handling the situation well, perhaps better than many more “developed” nations. I guess sometimes the freedoms we take for granted, may not always be in our own best interests.

Re "The food looked pretty good too! “ On the basis of food alone, if I could choose a country in which to be quarantined, it would be Vietnam - or South Korea, or Taiwan, or India (or maybe I should stop fixating on food!

Stay safe guys.

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 19th, 2020 at 04:59 PM. Reason: removed political comment
Old Apr 19th, 2020, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by crellston
I saw those protests on the UK News last night. I wonder how those protesters would feel when their freedom is denied through being admitted to an intensive care ward?

We are in touch with Vietnamese friends and they do seem to be handling the situation well, perhaps better than many more “developed” nations. I guess sometimes the freedoms we take for granted, may not always be in our own best interests.

Re "The food looked pretty good too! “ On the basis of food alone, if I could choose a country in which to be quarantined, it would be Vietnam - or South Korea, or Taiwan, or India (or maybe I should stop fixating on food!

Stay safe guys.
I hope those who decide to break social distancing guidelines don’t become ill as this would not only be harmful to them but would exponentially set all of us back.

Governor Cuomo and our Illinois gov. JB Pritzger are both showing what leaders should be like in a crisis.

I suppose we can take comfort in sustenance in times like this. We are 30 miles ish from Chicago where the really good stuff is but there is plenty out here for us to get a nice variety of ethnic treats. We decided to order take away more often especially if not exclusively from local restaurants as they need the support the most.

Anyway seems your wife is a gourmet chef so bon appetit!

Cheers!

Larry

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 19th, 2020 at 05:02 PM. Reason: removed quote of deleted comment and political remark
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 01:11 AM
Original Poster

Cheers to you Larry. Stay safe.

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 20th, 2020 at 07:01 AM. Reason: deleted comment about moderation
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 01:45 AM

Originally Posted by crellston
Cheers to you Larry. Stay safe.

All the best to you

Last edited by Moderator1; Apr 20th, 2020 at 07:02 AM. Reason: removed quote of deleted remark
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 04:54 AM

Thanks, crellston, for posting this article. Fascinating and thoughtful, with much to think about as we continue our own versions of being sheltered at home.
Old Apr 20th, 2020, 07:30 AM

And please don't stay away Mr. C!
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 08:58 AM

Vietnamese government is doing everything they could to protect their people, and the coordination between the people and the leaders is going smoothly. Thank you for sharing it! Take care everyone!
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 02:01 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
Very interesting interview. Thanks for posting crellston.
Old Apr 25th, 2020, 05:05 PM

Very interesting. Thanks, Crellston. The Coracle site is excellent-- I used it when planning a trip to VN (yipes, five yrs ago!)

The young woman in the story is amazing and inspirational, especially in how she discusses her anxiety and how she lived with it.

She and her camp-mates were lucky. Quarantine with six people to a small room!! They are very fortunate none had asymptotic coronavirus--it could have spread through there like wildfire. They were tested twice during their two-week stay. In the the intervening week, the virus could have incubated and the carrier could become asymptomatically infectious. People with coronavirus infections do not always present with elevated temperature, so that criterion alone is of limited usefulness. I don't know how other countries handle imposed quarantines, but iirc private rooms (except for couples who had already been together on the ship) were provided to passengers from Grand Princess here in California.

Thank God Taz and the others were ok, and she came out of this experience loving Vietnam and its people.

Last edited by CaliNurse; Apr 25th, 2020 at 05:09 PM. Reason: typos
Old May 14th, 2020, 05:38 PM

Latest Updates:

• As of May 14, Vietnam’s Ministry of Health’s tally of confirmed cases of COVID-19 remained at 288. However, 252 of the affected patients have recovered and been discharged from hospitals.
  • Vietnam has approved the reopening of sub-border gates and border crossings in Lang Son and Quang Ninh provinces connecting with China to ease trade between the two countries.
  • The Deputy Minister of Health stated that Vietnam has conducted 275,000 COVID-19 tests as of May 12 or 2,000 daily tests.
  • The International Monetary Fund (IMF) has stated that Vietnam’s economic growth may slow down to 2.7 percent this year due to the pandemic, but may pick up to 7 percent in 2021.
  • More than 18,000 household businesses were forced to shutdown in Ho Chi Minh City in the first four months of the year as per the city’s Tax Department.
  • Religious activities in Vietnam were allowed to resume from May 8 but with preventive measures for large gatherings.
  • The government has allowed the resumption of all non-essential services except for clubs and karaoke parlors but with preventive measures.
  • Vietnamese conglomerate Vingroup will give 2,400 ventilators to Russia and Ukraine between May 15 and August 30.
  • The Ministry of Transport on May 6 relaxed social distancing guidelines on planes, buses, taxis, and ships.
  • Vietnam’s Drug Administration issued a decision to resume the export of 37 medicine products that were suspended since April 16 and reserved for domestic use during the pandemic.
  • Authorities on May 5 lifted a lockdown on Ha Loi hamlet of Me Linh rural district of Hanoi since April 7 in relation to a patient who had visited Bach Mai hospital in Hanoi.
  • Public beaches in several cities and provinces including Da Nang, Nha Trang, Binh Dinh, Khanh Hoa, Quang Nam, Quang Ninh, Thanh Hoa and Nghe An reopened but with social distancing restrictions. In addition, tourism activities resumed in Ha Long Bay and Bai Tu Long Bay from May 1.
  • Public buses in Ho Chi Minh City resumed operations, though with no more than 20 passengers per vehicle.
Old Jul 18th, 2020, 05:57 AM

Very interesting. Thanks.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 04:09 PM

NOT good news ! around 15 000 new cases a day (but out of 98 million people), so, it all depends where you go; Hanoi Danang-Hoi An and Saigon/Phu Quoc are open, but no cruises yet in Halong Bay and, anywhere else, it depends strictly on the LOCAL authorities, so Sapa is wide open but beautiful Babe Lake is close to tourists; therefore, you have to check before you go anywhere.

Newspapers talk about reopening of the borders for foreigners on April 1 (some talk about March 15)
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 06:03 AM

Thank you for the updates. Damn covid!
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 03:16 PM

EXCELLENT news: the Government has announced that the borders will reopen for foreign tourists on 15 March. If you plan to come to Vietnam, do not hesitate to contact me; I have been roaming the country for 15 years, know it upside down and can arrange a fabulous trip for you. And NO, at 79 years of age and holder of an MBA from one of the 5 best business schools in the world (HEC Paris) I DO NOT work for a travel agency.
Old Mar 2nd, 2022, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Perhaps not so excellent news. Whilst Vietnam has stated its intention to reopen, it has not yet published information on restrictions which may remain in force. It seems as though PCR testing will be required both before departure and upon arrival and quarantine for 72 hours and vaccination within the last 6 months. The last point will surely catch more than a few people out, even those that have had boosters.

To add to this new cases in Vietnam are at a new peak https://graphics.reuters.com/world-c...ories/vietnam/ . Given the ultra cautious nature of the Vietnamese government I would be VERY wary of booking anything until matter become a lot clearer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -