private driver in chiang mai?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, Just got into Chiang Mai. First-time visitor. Very different from Luang Prabang, which we loved. Staying at the Yaang Come Village. Seems like a very good place. But want to get into some nature. Can anyone suggest a way to line-up a private driver for 2 all-day trips? We want to go down to the falls and somewhere else the next day. The hotel has a driver but it costs like $75 which seems rather extreme. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:55 AM

Try searching "POON" on this board, many a thread has been written about her. She is the sister on the Bangkok driver RATT, who has equally asmany threads on this site.

Old Jan 6th, 2006, 06:21 AM

Hi alibi...I just saw your posting when I got to my room...I think I just walked by you in the lobby of the Yaang Come village.

I went back out there and asked a man sitting there if he had just posted on the Fodors board and of course he didn't know what the heck I was talking about!

Anyways...I can't help you with the driver, but wanted to welcome you to Yaang Come Village! It's very nice here...but we leave in the morning.

Have a good trip,

Margy
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:08 AM

Hey Margy,

That is totally wild. We must have just missed each other. I will be hanging around the hotel somewhat tomorrow as my wife is taking a Thai Cooking class and I have a little work I have to catch up on. Hopefully our paths will cross. I have the beginnings of a beard.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Margy,

This is so strange. I must be on the same computer you were just on, and you didn't sign out, so my last post was under your name. Very small world.
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 08:41 AM

Sorry, I have his card at home and could only copy the email from another post I made here but our guide/driver in August in Chiang Mai was Mr. Ukrit Yasuan e-mail at [email protected] ($25 per half day, he is the guide and the driver). He was very accomodating as to what we wanted to do, no shopping pressure and he was very knowledgable about Thailand economics and politics. He grew up in Chiang Mai. We had a great half day at Wiang Kum Kon (sp?) one of the original northern Thai cities from the 10th century and the village not far from there where they do wood carving. As for the cost it was definititely worth it. (and he is a licensed guide.)
Old Jan 6th, 2006, 05:08 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
For a driver in the Chiang Mai area, if you can't get Poon, try Sergeant Kai...

http://www.chiangmaitours.com/index.html

Good luck!
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 02:20 AM

Hey again Alibi...that is so funny you posting under my name! I saw the posting and was quite confused for a moment. We're now in Koh Samui.....so I'm afraid our paths won't be crossing unless you're coming here in the next 7 days. So far I am not impressed and like Chiang Mai better. Hopefully tomorrow will change my mind.

Have a great time in chiang mai!

margy
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 06:30 AM
Original Poster

Hi Margy,

We are not heading to Samui. I wanted to hit Koh Chang, but it wasn't in the cards. We are here for 3 more nights then it's off to BKK for two final nights on a month long trip.

It's funny, I've looked at a couple today at YCV and wondered, "is that Margy?".

Have a great time.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:30 AM

brusselschap has just recommended a driver on his trip report - Itiphon (Pom) his email is [email protected]. He has recommended him highly.
Old Jan 7th, 2006, 07:10 PM

Alibi-- I think I was in the cooking class with your wife yesterday! In fact we were partners making the last dish and sat next to each other in the van. Wish I had known then!