possible change of plans

Search

possible change of plans

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible change of plans

I was planning a trip to Thailand for my daughter and myself for late Dec.-early Jan. Wanted to stay at Baan Orapin in Chiang Mai for 3 nights, but they only accept stays of 6 nights minimum during Christmas- New Year period. Any other hotel suggestions? Or we may change plans and go in mid August and take my 12 year old son also. Any suggestions? I know that this is the rainy season, but how bad is the rain? I've heard everything from a brief shower early evening to a downpour with flooded streets. Plan 3 days BKK, 3 days CM, with 3 days Phuket if Christmas. If August not Phuket, but where?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:19 AM

You'll find it much more enjoyable during late the Dec - early Jan period. The weather does make a big different and the enjoyment factor will be higher too.

Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:22 AM

Forgot to add that you should look for another hotel and there are many.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 06:22 AM

There are plenty of places to stay in Chiang Mai. If nothing but Baan Orapin will do for you, consider juggling your dates a bit. Would moving CM earlier or later in your trip put it outside the Xmas to New Years week?

One other thought... 3 nights in each place won't give you much of a sense of any of these places. And your transit time will cut into your useable time significantly. Consider visiting just two places, Bangkok and one other.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

thanks for your suggestions.
should I leave out Phuket? Maybe spend 4 nights BKK, 5 nights CM, then back to BKK for 1 night and day before returning home? Also, flight in lands at midnight.Is it Hard to get to the hotel then, checking in at around 1:00 am.?
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 08:22 AM

Lots of flights land in Bangkok around midnight, so it will be no problem to get to your hotel at that time. Taxis are plentiful and cheap.

Phuket will certainly be your most expensive hotel, especially at that time of the year. If you don't have to have a beach, limiting yourselves to just Bangkok and Chiang Mai will make it a more relaxing trip.

If you give us a price range for hotels, we can offer suggestions.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 08:56 AM

Many posters have said that Tamarind village is very nice. haven't read much about it recently, but it has gotten very good reviews.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 11:59 AM

I think eliminating Phuket helps the trip a lot. And add the time to Chiang Mai/northern thailand. There's plenty to do. Chiang Mai is my favorite place in thailand and Bangkok requires a minimum of 5 or 6 days.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 12:18 PM

Check out the Marriott Resort and Spa in BKK. I think you will really like this resort- its on the river and many of us on this forum prefer to be on the river. Also the temps are much better in Dec/Jan than August- prices will be a bit higher.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:31 PM

i would add the day to bkk and take from CM
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 05:56 PM

Just to let you know-- Christmas week is REALLY crowded in Bangkok. Overwhelmingly so I think at the tourist highlights. Also many stores there close for a few days around christmas and again around Jan. 1.
Old Mar 24th, 2008, 07:09 PM

We've been to Thailand twice at Christmas/New Year and 3 times in August. We prefer August. Weather is fine, rain doesn't bother us and it seldom rains a whole day or days on end...in fact, we've never experienced an entire day of rain. Everything is green and lovely. Fewer tourists, lower prices.
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 02:19 PM
Original Poster

Thanks again for all suggestions. Our price range for hotels is approximately $100 US/night. We will only have 11-12 days for trip due to school schedules(daughter's summer classes end and grad school starts August 23). We can take a little rain each day, but would hate to have trip of a lifetime ruined due to downpours. Is short trip to Laos, Cambodia possible if skipping beaches, and going in August? Trip is a suprise for my daughter, will tell her at college graduation May 18, but airfare prices are rising, and want to get a good deal in order to have more money on trip. We have only been abroad once last year to Spain, Marrekech(great trip).Please help!!!
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 08:32 PM

With 11 or 12 days on the ground, you'd be best advised to choose two places. GIven your last post I'd suggest you choose either Bangkok/Siem Reap or Bangkok/Luang Prabang. Either would be a fabulous trip. Squeezing in a third location would detract from your enjoyment of the trip, as you'd spend much more time in transit and would not have time to experience any of the places.

Take a look at some of our photos - they may help you decide www.marlandc.com

take a look at www,weatherbase.com for info on weather in each location at the two different times of the year.