Please help with Chiang Mai Hotel

Sep 18th, 2005, 05:28 AM
Original Poster

Please help with Chiang Mai Hotel

Thank you for all the help you have given us in planning our first trip to Thailand. We could never have gotten this far in our plans without you.

We still need a hotel for five nights in Chiang Mai beginning November 28th. We already tried Tamarind and Suriwongse and both are fully booked. We would like to stay near the night market and the restaurants so which hotel would you recommend? The Royal Princess, Chiang Mai Plaza or some other find. We noted the talk about the Baan Orapin but it seems far from the night market and restaurants. However, never having been to Chiang Mai we don't really know.

glorialf it seems you have stayed in many of the hotels. What's your take?

Thanks so much.
Sep 18th, 2005, 05:39 AM

If you want to be near the night market I would try Chiang Mai Plaza. Ask for a deluxe room. You can get good rates on www.asiahotels.com. Nothing fancy. Big hotel with lots of groups but the rooms are large and clean and service pleasant. And location is great. Royal Princess was a bit dirty when I stayed there. Another new option which looks nice is a place called D2 (part of the Dusit chain). It looks as though it will be very "hip" and is well located.

Baan orapin is near restaurants but is a longish (20 minute or more) walk to the night market.
Sep 18th, 2005, 09:20 AM

Rydges is another good deal, if you go to any of these sites you can bang in 5 or 6 hotels in your price range and then tick the box for other options, even if all those are full they will come back with the closest, you don't have to give any credit card information at all to make the booking requests, they come back and tell you what is on offer and conform the rate it is then up to you to accept within a certain number of days, so I would put in for all those in the central area within your range plus tick the box that you are interested in similar.

www.chiang-mai-hotels.itgo.com or www.huahin.20m.com
Sep 18th, 2005, 12:50 PM

Have you checked The Park Hotel? Up the same street as the night market yet away from its noise and bustle, spotless clean, excellent staff, pleasant ambience, fine dining. We loved it.
Sep 19th, 2005, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. We booked a deluxe room at the Chiang Mai Plaza. FYI the best rate was on Asiarooms and consistently we are finding they have the best rate.

Has anyone gone to the Thai Cooking School in Chiang Mai? We would like to take the whole day class where they take you to the market and you purchase ingredients, then come back to cook. Question? This school offers this class either at their restaurant - The Wok - or in a home that is set up for the cooking class. Do you know which would be better?
Sep 20th, 2005, 02:56 AM

I've been to this cookery school - it is fab. I've done courses at Sompon's home and at the restaurant. Both are lovely, but I prefer the home as it gets you out of the city for a bit (although the restaurant is down a lovely green soi and has a lovely garden). The courses are the same at either place and the facilities are very good at both places.

I do one day each time I go to Chiang Mai - I've now done 4 out of 5 of the Courses that they offer and was feeling a bit mournful as I had only one course left to complete. I've seen however that Sompon is now doing masterclasses (in effect 5 more courses - yippee!). Be prepared to eat lots of yummy food - that somehow miraculously you have cooked yourself

You also get a lovely cookbook to take away with you. I've used the recipes at home quite a lot. The teachers are also very good at telling you what ingredients you can use as substitutes if there isn't a thai store near you at home.

Have fun
Sep 20th, 2005, 02:57 AM

Ooops - meant to post the web address for anyone reading who might want to go.

http://www.thaicookeryschool.com/

They come and pick you up from your hotel as I remember.
Sep 20th, 2005, 04:19 AM

I originally wanted to go to the cookery school, but the only days I had available would be their courses #3 and #4. As a beginner, I figure those would be a little too advanced for me.

So I have heard good things about A Lot of Thai ( http://alotofthai.bravehost.com/ ) and will be doing their Popular Dishes course for a day in December.
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:14 AM

I myself have not taken a cooking class in CM (although I plan to on my next trip) but I have heard nothing but raves from everyone who takes one. All the cooking schools seem good. I would suggest trying to take one that includes a market tour to buy the ingredients. That can be very interesting.
Sep 20th, 2005, 06:33 AM

You don't need to do the courses at the Thai Cookery School in order - I did day 5, 1, 4, 3 in that order Each day they cater for all levels.

Sep 20th, 2005, 02:40 PM
Original Poster

Thank you. We have booked the Thai Cookery School and following the advice of Fodorites are taking course 4 which is the one where we go to the market and will take it at Pom's home. Yes they pick you up and drop you back at your hotel. The cost is 990 baht per person. We sent in our reservation and they replied to us immediately.

This should be a wonderful experience and we are looking forward to it.
Sep 21st, 2005, 05:36 AM

My son took a half day course at the Chiang Mai cooking school (I think it was written up in Gourmet a while back). Said it was great. I'll be taking the full day courses when there in January.