Please help plan itinerary

Feb 6th, 2006, 12:06 AM
Original Poster

Please help plan itinerary

Hello!

We are two families with a total of 7 children ages 2, 4, 6, 8, 8, 11, and 14. We will visit Thailand for the first time the second week of April and want to see Bangkok and Chiang Mai. I need some advice:

1. Clean, convenient, cheapish places to stay in both cities?
2. Is the Sriracha Tiger Zoo doable as a day trip? Suggestions on how to arrange that?
3. What should we not miss? At the moment we are looking at 3 nights in Bangkok and then the rest of the time in Chiang Mai, taking the overnight sleeper--first class--to Chiang Mai. I am thinking of the famous Wats and Palace in Bangkok, shopping, and then day trips to see the bridge over the river Kwai--DH is a history buff and then the tiger zoo so we can hold a baby tiger.
4. We hope to spend 4 full days in Chiang Mai before hopping a flight back to Bangkok and then out on a midnight flight from Bangkok. In Chiang Mai we want to see the Golden Triangle, ride elephants and maybe do some trekking if at all possible.

Help! I feel incredibly overwhelmed by the options!

Thanks in advance!
Feb 6th, 2006, 05:23 AM

In Bangkok I would look at Centre Point Silom which has gotten very good reviews. In Chiang Mai I would definitely recommend Baan Orapin.

You will need a driver with a large van for your time in Chiang Mai.
Feb 6th, 2006, 07:00 AM

With a mere three nights in Bangkok, you'll be able to see some of the most famous sites in the city (Grand Palace, Emerald Buddha, Wat Po, Wat Arun, Jim Thompson House and a few others). You will not have time for day trips outside the city unless you stay longer. As it appears you only have a total of 7 or 8 nights in Thailand, you'll have to decide what is most important for you to see.
Feb 6th, 2006, 09:30 AM

We have stayed at the King Park Avenue Hotel. It's a great value for the money and walking distance (or you can take a free tuk tuk shuttle)to the humongous Seacon mall. The hotel restaurant is fantastic and a full breakfast is included in the room price. We ate there a lot and never got sick.
Our favorite spots were Grand Palace, Wat Po, the weekend market, Wat Phra Keo, Seacon Square, and the Rose Garden. The Rose Garden would be great for kids because they have a great cultural show, elephant show, and a yummy buffet.
T&K is the best fresh seafood restuarant in Bangkok. It's in the China town area. It looks pretty rough, but the experience is a lot of fun.
Feb 6th, 2006, 09:31 AM

Oops... forgot to specify King Park is in Bangkok.
Feb 6th, 2006, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help!

We had already realized we really need a month to do all we want to do. I guess we will scratch the day trips off the itinerary.

Off to look at your suggestions