Transfer from Airport PEK to Dongchen area

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6th, 2018, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking for a transfer from PEK airport to the Dongchen area of Bejing. I have found a couple of companies but they seem to have mixed reviews. Any ideas?
Old Feb 6th, 2018, 08:00 PM

Just get in a taxi.

Although there are occasional difficulties, the taxi ranks are well signposted, the line-ups kept orderly, and there's a marshall who asks you where you want to go and tells the driver. For simplicity just have the characters for your destination (preferably a place name rather than a street name) ready to show (the driver will be unlikely to know any English version, however popular your destination). Have either a printed map or a mobile device with you so the driver believes you know where you're going, and better than nine times in ten you'll reach Dong Cheng (note spelling) district with no problems, and typically for a fraction of the cost of any car booked in advance.

NB: Do NOT go with anyone who approaches you in the arrivals hall (unless you love getting into difficulties). Just follow the signs to the taxi rank and join the line. Make sure the meter is started as you pull away (and not before, or not at all). 'Da biao' is 'start the meter'. Chances are your ride will be in the region of ¥150 or so, depending on traffic and exactly where you're going. Have cash ready, and preferably a one hundred and some smaller bills. Do not tip (for there is no tipping in China). Ask for a receipt ('fa piao'), as should you happen to leave anything in the cab, having a Mandarin speaker call the number on the receipt will usually get whatever it is back for you.
Old Feb 7th, 2018, 05:15 AM

Nothing wrong with taxis. Just have your destination's name and address in writing in Chinese. However, when I was there recently, the waiting time was about one hour and I decided to take the Airport Express and subway but this may not be your cup of tea.
If money is no object, the hotel can send a car but this will cost a multiple of a taxi fare.
Old Feb 9th, 2018, 04:50 AM
Original Poster

thank you both for your input. I think that I will go the taxi route. I am not in any hurry.