Please comment on Beijing itinerary

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 26th, 2009, 02:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in China for 17 days in May. We are staying for 4 days in Beijing. We are booked at the Bamboo Garden Hotel, which is next to the Golou metro stop. Here is a proposed rough itinerary, which we would like your comments on. Incidentally, we are not planning to use any guides at Beijing. Also, we are vegetarians, so any suggestions on good veg food would also be welcome.
Day 1: Thursday May 14: Arrive at Beijing by flight from Xian. Have the hotel pick us up by taxi. Spend the day in areas near the hotel, e.g. walking tour of nearby hutongs, Bell and Drum Towers, Beihai Park, Jingshan Park (if time permits), finishing off with a Beijing Opera at Prince Gong's residence.
Day 2: Friday May 15: Take a taxi to the Great Wall (undecided about Badaling or Mutianyu), and possibly Ming Tombs. Visit Lama Temple in evening.
Day 3: Saturday May 16: Visit Tianenmen Square in morning, and Forbidden City in afternoon. Stroll on Wangfujing Dajie and the Silk Street Market.
Day 4: Sunday May 17: Visit Panjiayuan Market early morning, followed by Summer Palace. Visit Temple of Heaven in afternoon, followed by Pearl Market.
Day 5: Monday May 18: Flight to Guilin.

Plan on using public transport everywhere, except for Great Wall. Please offer your comments and suggestions.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 10:56 PM

I don't think it makes sense to arrange Summer Palace and Temple of Heaven in the same day, as these two places are located on the opposite direction.
Old Feb 26th, 2009, 11:57 PM
Original Poster

Good point. Any suggestions on how we should re-arrange it ?
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 04:16 AM

Hi Indiancouple: One of the joys of the Temple of Heaven Park is watching the locals engage in early morning activities: Ballroom dancing, ribbon twirling, choral singing, etc. I believe that these activities taper off or even stop, later in the day. See if you can visit the Park first thing in the morning. it is across the street from the Pearl Market, which is a large 4- or 5-story modern shopping arcade. What time is your flight on Day 5?
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

ekscrunchy, I am leaving the internal flight bookings in China for the last minute (after we arrive in China), as I understand you get tickets at almost 50% of regular prices if you wait till 2-3 days before the flight. But I would imagine we will be opting for an early flight on Day 5, as we would want to reach Yangshuo ASAP to fulfill a hectic schedule there as well. So I doubt if anything is possible on Day 5.

Day 4 is a Sunday, when the Panjiayuan Market operates, and I have heard good things about it, especially early in the morning. What we could do is to roam the Panjiayuan Market, then go to Temple of Heaven (followed by Pearl Market), and leave the Summer Palace for the afternoon.

I know that the Summer Palace is off in a totally different direction, but I am hoping for good metro connections, maybe combined with taxis. What do you think ?

Are the things that we have planned for each day doable in a day ? Anything that we should omit or include ?
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Incidentally, does the Panjiayuan Market operate on Saturdays as well ? In which case we could do that on Day 3, and go early on Day 4 to Temple of Heaven .
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:50 AM

Yes, it operates on Saturdays also. We'll be there Saturday, May 30!
Old Feb 27th, 2009, 05:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi indiancouple - I remember you report on Lisbon, looking forward to hearing how you like China. BTW, before you think about actually buying anything at the Panjiayuan market (maybe you just plan to look?), read this: http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...in-beijing.cfm (I think there have been some other reports here, too).
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 06:22 AM

I actually went from the temple of heaven; had lunch; and then taxied to the Summer palace in the afternoon. http://www.fodors.com/community/asia...rip-we-had.cfm Scroll down to the 12th in my report. It was a 40-minute taxi ride. Didn't have any problems going from one end of town to the other.

Monica
Old Feb 28th, 2009, 07:35 AM

Pan Jia Yuan operates every day, with more than enough stalls and shops open to keep anyone busy for hours (although buying here should be with caution) on weekdays, but with less hassle and lower prices then. It is merely busier at weekends.

Peter N-H