Plaza Athenee-Bangkok

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Plaza Athenee-Bangkok

Anyone stay at the Plaza Athenee? We are considering the Oriental, the Penisula, the Sukathai the heard about the Plaza.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:33 PM

We stayed there in February on the executive floor. While well-located for shopping, it is not in the class of the Penn or the Oriental. Can't compare to the Sukathai as I have not stayed there. That being said, it is a very good hotel. The breakfast buffet is excellent and the service, at least on the exec floor was quite good. It is a great value for the price and less than 5 minutes from the sky train as well.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 08:02 PM

I haven't stayed at the Plaza Athenee, but stayed across from it at the Chateau de Bangkok. But, I have stayed at the Pen and the Oriental among many other hotels in BK and I made an appointment to be shown around the Sukothai a few years ago. The Sukothai is beautiful and I've eaten at the restaurants there, but the location isn't the best as it's not that close to a skytrain station. I stayed at the Metropolitan...which I loved...which is next door to the Sukothai.You'll be more taxi dependent, but taxis are cheap in BK so that's not really a problem...except for traffic of which there's quite a lot on the street the Sukothai and Metropolitan are on. I prefer to be VERY close to a skytrain station. As for the Pen and the Oriental...there has for years been all out arguments in this forum as to which one to stay at. I'll just say that whichever one you pick, you'll probably like it...although I'm personally not a Pen fan and would chose the Oriental over the two although my number one choice is the Four Seasons. There are so many really good hotels in Bangkok that it's hard to really go wrong...it just all comes down to a personal taste and what part of town you want to be in...there are those who love the river area and there are those who don't...like Carol(Simpson510) and I love being in the heart of the city. So again...it's personal choice. Happy Travels!
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 05:49 AM

Now now, guenmai. I never said I didn't like staying on the river. In fact, I'm staying at the Marriott on the river for my first two nights in the city this August. It's just that, for me, an apartment closer to the heart of the city is more convenient. The things I do, the friends I see, the places I frequent are all closer to the Siam and Sukhumvit areas.

Staying on the river is a lovely experience for those who come to BKK for their first time, and/or who plan to see sights along the river. And yes, there are some who always stay on the river. There is really nothing quite like having breakfast at the Pen, sitting right alongside the river, watching the city come alive. To each his own... Isn't having a choice a wonderful thing?

I've also stayed at both the Oriental once and the Pen twice. The Pen would be my first choice of the two.

I have not stayed at the Plaza Athenee, but I have had their buffet dinner and it was excellent.

Carol
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 07:54 AM

Carol...what I meant to write was not that there were those of us who don't like the river area, but that there are those of us who "prefer" other areas. I am multi-tasking as I'm typing and reading these posts...very fast... and many times don't have time to go back and reread what I've typed before clicking on "post my reply" so I stand corrected. And yes,I know that you like the river area, although you did state in one of your post that you seldom go over there and that you prefer to stay in town since there's so much more to do in town. And yes,first timers would probably like the river area. When I was a first timer I stayed at the(no-longer) Siam Intercontinental...in town and was fine with it since having lots of open space was just more important to me personally than being on the river. But, as I said previously it's a matter of personal taste. Happy Travels!