which is better in bangkok hotel

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

which is better for hotels in rooms and service the peninsual or the regent four seasons?
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:41 PM

I would expect both to have wonderful service. The big difference is that the Pen is on the river, the Four Seasons is located on a busy street. As lovely as the Four Seasons is, I wouldn't consider staying at any hotel not located on the river.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 05:52 PM

I stayed at Peninsula a couple of years ago. I had a room with balcony on the 25th floor, facing the river. Every evening at 9 pm, there was a fire works on the river...right in front of my room. It was so amazingly magical. I so much enjoyed watching the river traffic every day, too.
I highly recommend it.
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:16 PM

first of all, don't expect fireworks if you stay at the peninsula....that had to be the king's birthday or something special...

i think for service the two are the same....the regent is an older building, the peninsula only about 5 years old...the river is important as kathie says and i prefer always to stay on it...i do occasionally stay in the center of town for a few days but always am glad to return to the river locations...

i think you will find the peninsula to be less well travelled...by this i mean that the lobby is quiet with little sight-seeing foot traffic and not all that many people coming in from outside (non-hotel guests) for services....the 4 seasons on the other hand has lots of outside traffic passing through for various reasons, not the least of which is their great in town location...

i think the penn is slightly cheaper and for my money it is far superior....i have never however stayed at the 4 seasons but have been there many times to eat....biscotti is one of our favorite bangkok restaurants and my wife likes spice market....

i suspect also that the rooms are equally lux...the penn has lots of gadgets, like electric drape openers which is lovely in the morning while you are still in bed....oh yes the tv in the bathtug might interest some as well....
Old Mar 29th, 2004, 06:54 PM

I swear too GOd. there are fireworks darn near every day. there where some last night and I have no clue why.

Old Mar 29th, 2004, 10:42 PM

Orgy7 and I must have stayed at the same Peninsula that's different from the one rhkkmk stayed. I was there for four days in February and there was fireworks every night, exactly at 9 pm. But hey..maybe they were just celebrating my stay.

The traffic at Peninsula is on the river side--taking that boat across the river. I loved it each time.

Old Mar 30th, 2004, 10:02 AM

interesting about the fireworks...i have stayed there at least 3 times in the last 5 years and have never once seen any fireworks...do you have to open the drapes to see them???
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 10:20 AM

I stayed at the Oriental which I really recommend.I got back Sunday. There were 2 days of fireworks which were across the river at the Penn.I cannot talk about the Penn. However: we had the best service we ever had including suites in Europe at the Oiental.We had a butler on call. You push a button in the room and they run to your room 24 hrs.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 01:32 PM

I think hotel location is a VERY subjective thing and really depends on what you like to do while in Bangkok.

I've stayed at the FS but not the Penn. From what I've read, the Penn. is wonderful and would be a better bargain than the FS although we LOVED our stay at the FS.

We generally stay in town but are planning to try the Penn on our next tri.

And yes, Biscotti is great! We always have dinner there one night on every trip.

If you'll be in town on a Sunday, try the Sunday Jazz Brunch at the Sukhothai. That's also a "tradition" for us and it's wonderful. Second best only to the Ritz Brunch in Singapore.
Old Mar 31st, 2004, 06:16 PM

i'll put in a plug for the sunday brunch at the indian restaurant at the rembrandt hotel, soi 18??, sukhumvit rd...it is fantastic and the view is great too
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 03:39 AM

I second that emotion about the Indian Restaurant at the Rembrandt. Do not miss Lord Jims lunch seafood buffet at the Oriental.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:08 AM

I just talked with the Penn. via email and they confirm that they do NOT have firewaorks every nioght. Only on special occasions.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 05:08 AM

I just talked with the Penn. via email and they confirm that they do NOT have fireworks every night. Only on special occasions.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 07:07 AM

Oh yes, Lord Jim's is a very nice lunch. We've had Thanksgiving brunch there 3 times and rave about it every year.

No more roasted taters on the line? No problem sir, please sit down, we'll make some right quick and bring them to your table...

Oh, you'd like a freshly made quesadilla mam with gucamole and sour cream on the side? My pleasure, please sit down and we'll bring it to your table...

AMAZING service.
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 09:51 AM

i can't resist....during our lunch, everytime i got up from the table i put my napkin in a different place...it is a buffet, so you are up and down often...every time when i came back the napkin had been folded and placed on my right arm rest....i never put it on the right arm rest on purpose...it bacame a game...talk about "correct" service...we did have a laugh about this...COULDN'T HE SEE THAT I AM LEFT HANDED!!!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2004, 03:09 PM

LOL! That's so true! Yes, they were always moving the linens about.

Ah, memories.
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 03:10 PM

Also, if you did not immediately put your napkin on your lap, they did. One other question, how do you cut something tough with a spoon?
Old Apr 2nd, 2004, 06:28 PM

they cut it for you stupid
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 10:27 AM

Thank you for the compliment my friend-I think that most of the food in Thailand is served in bite sized pieces.
Old Apr 7th, 2004, 06:00 PM

haven't you ever had that american favorite phad thai?? not bite size..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -