Planning two days in Yogyakarta

Aug 5th, 2019, 09:51 AM
Original Poster

Planning two days in Yogyakarta

Hello,

we (me and my girlfriend) need some advice regarding the following two-day-itinerary in Yogya:

Day 1:

Visiting the town:
  • Kraton
  • Taman Sari
  • rest of the town
  • after lunch: Prambanan
Day 2:
  • Borobodupur incl. Candi Pawon und Mendut
  • Dieng plateau
  • On the way back to Yogya: Menjer lake
  • Agrowisata Tambi tea plantation
I need some advice on how to organize this, so that the experience is as pleasant as possible.

Should we:a) Day 1: Do Yogya town by ourselves, then get a taxi to Prambanan and hire a guide at the ticket office there. Afterwards we could get a taxi back to Yogya.
Day 2: Get any kind of driver to get us to Borodobudur and hire a guide there. The driver should wait for us and drive us afterwards to Dieng plateau, Menjer lake, the Agrowisata Tambi tea plantation and then to the hotel in Yogyakarta. b) Get an english guide which also drives around the whole two days.

What do you think is a better idea?
Aug 5th, 2019, 10:27 AM

When we Borobaodur and Yogyakarta and got around mostly by bus with the odd taxi thrown but were there for 4 /5 days and so had the luxury of being able to take our time. Prambanan was very easy by bus both there and back. The rest of the town we just walked everywhere. as I recall we got a taxi out to Borobodur and a bus back.

In Borobodur we stayed overnight at the Manohara hotel in the grounds of the complex and were really glad we did as it enabled easy pre dawn access to teh temple which was amazing. sunset the evening before was pretty special too. some photos on our blog @ https://accidentalnomads.com/2015/09...ing-borobudur/ . We had planned to go to Dieng Plateau but a collapsed bridge put paid to that idea.

Given the time you have and the sites you want to visit, you have a lot of ground to cover, I think a guide/driver might be your best solution.

I am not a great fan of using guides and prefer to explore on my own having read a guide book beforehand (plus I have a low attention threshold when it comes to guides!).
Aug 5th, 2019, 02:35 PM

I'm also in the guide myself camp. I was in Yogyakarta for about a week & hired a taxi for a day to Borobudur then made stops along the way coming back. It was perfectly satisfying without a guide.

We also had a very pleasant overnight in the village closest to Mt. Merapi though there's been an eruption since so don't know the state of things now. But it was a great getaway from the tourist spots, just a few trekkers passing through, no other overnighters if I recall correctly.
Aug 5th, 2019, 06:29 PM
kja

People obviously differ in their pacing, but I honestly don't see your Day 2 as feasible -- the distances are great and the traffic can be horrendous.
Whether Day 1 is feasible depends, I think, on what you call "the rest of town."

If you haven't seen it already, you might get some useful information from my trip report:
A Memorable Solo Month in Singapore, Java, and Bali
Aug 5th, 2019, 06:54 PM

First, a comment about the Manohara Hotel in Borobudur. As of last year, it is no longer a hotel. It is now a retreat/yoga center, although they still handle the tickets to the sunrise. I stayed in a neighboring hotel last year, and it was a five minute car ride to get there. Actually, I found the sunrise cloudy and disappointing, since apparently, September is a bad time for sunrises there. However, it is definitely worth a visit to see the amazing carvings on the temple. I agree with others above, no guide is needed, as long as your study up before or after you go. I listened in on some guides there (pretending to fiddle with my camera, I'm so sneaky), and they really spout out a bunch of nothing.

I agree with kja that your itinerary is too hectic. I spread out what you plan to do in two days over three days.

I had a series of drivers during my two weeks on Java. Here is the agency I used in Yogyakarta:

Jogja Prima Transport <[email protected]>

The owner's name is Didik, and my driver's name is Jasing. Drivers in Indonesia are generally wonderful, and the cost is typically $50 to $60 per day. I would write to Didik and propose your itinerary, perhaps he can help you make it better.
Aug 5th, 2019, 07:18 PM
kja

Originally Posted by CaliforniaLady View Post
...about the Manohara Hotel in Borobudur. As of last year, it is no longer a hotel. It is now a retreat/yoga center, although they still handle the tickets to the sunrise.
I'm sorry to hear that the Manohara has changed it's function! Thanks for letting us know, CaliforniaLady. (Not that I promise to remember, lol.)
Aug 6th, 2019, 01:32 AM
Original Poster

Ok, thank you for your feedback. If you had three days instead of two for the aforementioned sights, how would you plan the itinerary?
Aug 13th, 2019, 03:43 PM

Hi Folks,
I have a question as well If I may.We are looking to go to Borobodupur in Dec.Whats the best City/Country to fly in from?We will be in Bali and KL looks like Bali is close? Starting in BKK working south.Stopping in Phuket renting a car for a week as we did 8 mo.ago.Flying from Pkuket to KL, KL to Bali..
or Java?
Anyone out there that can give me some advice?
Kind Regards
Aug 13th, 2019, 07:04 PM
kja

Originally Posted by lookingforadventure View Post
Hi Folks,
I have a question as well If I may.We are looking to go to Borobodupur in Dec.Whats the best City/Country to fly in from?We will be in Bali and KL looks like Bali is close? Starting in BKK working south.Stopping in Phuket renting a car for a week as we did 8 mo.ago.Flying from Pkuket to KL, KL to Bali..
or Java?
Anyone out there that can give me some advice?
Kind Regards
@ lookingforadventure: Even a quick glance at a map should show you that Borobudor is on Java, not Bali; the nearest airport is in Yogyakarta. And note that the cost of a good guidebook will be nugatory in comparison to the cost of your trip. Good luck!

Aug 13th, 2019, 09:46 PM

From KL you can fly non-stop to Yogyakarta which is about an hour's drive to Borobudur (and quite close to Prambanan). From Yoygakarta you can fly non-stop to Bali Denpasar.