Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Planning return to a Thai beach. But where?

Old Mar 14th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, so now that the Burma planning is well under-way, I need to figure out where our final stop on our December/January vacation will be before we head back home. Know it'll be a beach and know it'll be in Thailand...and that's about it.

We'll be flying back from Yangon through Bangkok around January 3rd, so I'm still going to catch a bit of that post-holiday Thai beach madness--but I guess that's not to be avoided.

No real front-runners now although considering Ko Lanta, Krabi, Ko Pha Ngan, possibly Phuket or a return to Phi Phi. Here are some thoughts:

*prefer to fly to Phuket or Krabi...but would consider flying to Samui

*we'll have 3-4 nights at most, so convenience/location I would guess is more important on this trip (no trips to remote island destinations unfortunately)

*I am in *love* with the pictures I see of the Six Senses @ Yao Naoi -- if that gives an accurate idea of the "scenery" we're looking for (which seems like the same scenery one would get around Krabi) --but, alas, I could never ever come close to affording that $900/night price tag at Six Senses. $300-500/max is more like what I'm considering. Might splurge a *bit* more if the place was really special.

*I'm somewhat allergic to the idea of Phuket just because of all the bad preconceived notions I have of it. I know there are places that are off-the-beaten a bit there so those are the only kinds of places we'd consider. But generally speaking, I'm not really looking at Phuket proper.

*Looking for that Ko Phi Phi "powdered sugar" sand. That and the emerald water/amazing snorkeling. Since we've been to Phi Phi already I don't think we'd repeat it (although we might) but definitely looking for a similar look and feel beach and water-wise.

Hopefully this'll is enough for some suggestions/recommendations on islands/hotels. Thanks a bunch, all!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 01:04 AM

I have a friend at Six Senses Yao Naoi right at this moment and I've just asked him for his opinion of it.

I quite like Phuket as it offer other activities and dining choices that you can't get on Phi Phi or Krabi. Here's one more resort for you to look over, not on the beach but the view is spectacular.

http://www.paresaresorts.com/default-en.html
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 06:06 AM

look at amari vogue near krabi...

jw marriott at khao lak

amari at koh chang

hyatt hua hin
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 06:18 AM

I was just going to pop in and suggest JW at Khao Lak... Bob beat me to it!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 04:15 PM
Original Poster

JW looks lovely but I fear maybe a bit too big for us. The Amari in Krabi does look nice -- that's a potential candidate. Honing in on Zeavola too, but it looks like they have a 5 night mandatory stay even in January, which I have to admit is weird. I get over Christmas and New Years but not after it.

Part of what we loved so much about our previous beach trips was totally unplugging and indulging. We don't want to go anywhere (especially at night) or do anything once we're there (save for a few snorkeling trips) -- so any place that's peaceful, beautiful and preferably that has decent food (although at this point I've come to expect that any beach resort in Thailand I go to won't have that.)

Thanks for getting the ideas flowing. Hoping others can chime in on past experiences as well!
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 07:59 PM

We did Burma in January and finished off the last week in Thailand as well. We flew to Krabi for three nights and then took the boat to Phi Phi for the next three. We took a boat to Phuket to fly to Bangkok from there.
Pretty much just snorkelled and laid by the pool. It was a great way to wash all the dust off from Burma before heading home.
Old Mar 15th, 2012, 09:42 PM

I resisted posting on this topic Will because my response is just, well.....predictable.
However, now that ''The Place'', is on topic I'll chuck in my little bit.
As you know, we have been to Phi Phi many times, and often it has been at the end of a trip. eg. Borneo/Phi Phi, Cambodia/Phi Phi, etc. etc.
So I'm just seconding the point made by live42day. It's a great way to round off a trip.
I know how much you enjoyed your last visit to Island Village.
So, You have indicated consideration of Zeavola. We stayed there several years ago and also had a good look around again last month. It still doesn't do it for us. Yes, the room facilities are way better than anything on the island, but it just has such a claustrophobic feel to it. There are big issues with room privacy. I would think really hard before choosing Zeavola.
During our visit last month we also walked down to Island Village, and had our customary wander around there. Still looking stunning and they have added some super fancy rooms if you can splurge a little. We walked round to Lana Bay at the rear of the resort and once again had the entire, beautiful beach to ourselves.
So there it is...my predictable response...go back to Island Village and do some of the things you didn't do last time. I doubt very much that you will find anywhere else that will live up to your last experience there.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 12:57 AM

Check out www.choengmon.com. I lived close to this beach from 2006 to 2009 and it's by far, one of the most beautiful bays in Asia. Good luck.
Old Mar 16th, 2012, 05:25 AM

Just wanted to say that even though JW at Khao Lak is a large resort, that doesn't mean you wouldn't feel like you had 'your own space'. I'd highly recommend a pool access (actually canal access) room. The swimming canals go all around the grounds. You can sit on your terrace (you get in the canal from there) and watch random other swimmers as they come by, on their way, swimming over to the big pool, or just out for some exercise in the 1.3 miles of canals. (Bob will let us know if I'm wrong on that mileage) I really enjoyed my stay there. Bob and Karen were in the room next door. We had what you might call adjoining terraces, as there was a walk-around space. Very nice.

I just think you can feel like you are in a much smaller place, just the way the resort is arranged.

Anyway, happy planning!

Carol
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

It's been so long since we've done this that I've forgotten how it works.

When we fly from Burma to Bangkok and have to transfer to a flight to Phuket shortly after we arrive at Suvarnabhumi (hoping to keep this all on Thai Airways)--do we need to pick up our luggage in BKK, clear customs and check in again or can we check all the way through to Phuket? This will make HUGE difference in getting to any intended resort that same day.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 05:40 PM

If you do keep the whole transfer with Thai Airways, then you will not see your luggage again until you reach Phuket.
As for immigration, I've experienced it both ways. Sometimes going through customs at Bangkok, so straight out to the baggage hall at Phuket, and other times immigration has been done at the final destination.
On our most recent trip, last month, the London to Chiang Mai trip, via Bangkok, we did immigration at Bangkok, so straight out at Chiang Mai.
I think that's how it will be for your Burma Phuket journey.
Old Mar 17th, 2012, 08:07 PM

amari fits all your requirements i think... food is very good..
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Original Poster

Just a quick update on this. After much back and forth and comparing prices, we did (much hopefully to Leigh's delight) book Phi Phi Island Village.

We got a great deal--especially given the Holiday time period. And we're really looking forward to returning to our honeymoon spot from years ago.

Thanks all for your suggestions and help. It's nice to know we'll have such a beautiful place to end what's sure to be one of our best trips ever!
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 10:48 PM

Glad you have it all sorted, did you sort your SIN-RGN flights?
Old Mar 20th, 2012, 11:04 PM
Original Poster

We did, indeed. Ended up booking the Jetstar flight. With baggage extras and extra legroom seat fees, it added to the cost a bit...but still a substantial savings over SilkAir. Thanks again for the info!
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 01:52 PM

Fantastic, it so great when info is useful. X
Old Mar 21st, 2012, 07:45 PM

I will chime in hear about Khao Lak, just returned from there, our 4th time and still love it. A bit further than Phuket beaches, about 1 hour drive from airport. Good choice of hotels now, I stay at Nang Thong Bay Resort, very good value but there are many others more lux. It is a more laid back area, great scenery and beaches, small town with some interest for restos, shops, massage etc.

Bon Voyage
Old Mar 22nd, 2012, 01:14 PM

Hey Will, I just KNEW you would return to Phi Phi. And yes, very much to my delight.

A perfect way to round off your trip.

Don't miss Lana Bay......just a short walk from I.V., (don't know if you did it last time), but it is simply stunning, and incredibly,...... usually deserted.

Oh Yes..............enjoy.