Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Planning Borneo trip (plus Cameron Highlands) and seek comment

Old Nov 21st, 2013, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost 4 years ago, I planned a trip to Borneo but had to cancel because of work schedule changes. I had the frequent flyer trans Pacific flights that had to be cancelled and lost money on the Borneo Rainforest Lodge deposit and one set of flights within Borneo. But now a “replacement” trip is in the works and barring any health issues, we should make it in May. We have our tickets into Singapore with a 4 day stopover in Japan on the return (DH is eager to spend a few days because he has never been). I would love to hear comments on my draft itinerary and any other suggestions - - at this point I am only planning the Malaysia portion (already benefitting from the recent Japan trip reports).

Day 1: Nonstop from IAD-NRT.
Day 2: Brief layover in NRT, fly to SIN. Arrive at midnight on Day 3. Overnight at Crowne Plaza Chiangi.
Day 3: Fly to Kuching. Spend days 3-6 in Kuching doing day trips. We will have 3 full days plus partial first day there.
Day 7: Fly to Kota Kinabalu, visit a few sights, probably stay at Le Meridien
Day 8 – 10: Borneo Rainforest Lodge
Days 11-13: Overland to a lodge on the Kinabatangan River. Flight from Sandakan to KK
Days 13 & 14: “Recover” at Shangrila Ria Risa or Bunga Raya or another resort
Day 15: Morning flight to KUL, drive to Cameron Highlands
Day 16: CH
Day 17: Back to KUL for 9pm flight to NRT through BKK (overnight)
Days 18-21 Tokyo (arrive 8am)
Day 22: 10am flight NRT to IAD
We generally like to spend at least 3 nights in one place but I don’t think it will work for this trip. A few concerns and alternatives to the itinerary:
1) Maybe one night on Turtle Island before BRL and Riverlodge. I’d give up either one night in Kuching or give up the resort and stay an extra day in KK and do a trip to Mt. Kinabalu Park. I’m not so invested in going to a beach resort because we spend part of the year in Anguilla where the beaches are pretty amazing.
2) Cameron Highlands: I’ve been wanting to visit for quite some time because I am fascinated with the Jim Thompson legend and I loved the book Garden of Evening Mists. I am concerned about getting there (renting a car and driving from KUL) and whether it would be a difficult drive. I know we will want a car when we get there and that DH will not want to take the bus from KUL). But CH is not a very popular destination for members of this forum, so is this a fantasy? If I were to cut this out, I would consider changing our tickets and staying longer in Japan.
3) Having some difficulty finding consistent quotes from a tour operator in Sabah. I am getting wildly different quotes for very similar packages. One agency quoted me a lower price for 5 nights - - 3 in BRL and 2 in a riverlodge including all tours and transport between lodges - -than the rate charged directly by BRL for three nights (via Borneo Nature Tours). Worried that it is too good to be true, other quotes all seem lower than direct rate changed by BRL. Recommendations for a recently used tour operator would be very helpful.
Thanks, Fodorites!
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:23 PM

I travelled with a driver from Kuala Lumpur to the Cameron Highlands a little over a year ago, and as this was my first trip to Malaysia, I was surprised to see how modern the highway system was. If it wasn't for the vast fields of palm trees outside the window, I would have sworn I was in the US as it was identical to our interstates.

It does become a very twisty road as you get into the higher elevations but the road was in very good condition and there was not a lot of other traffic.

I was not overly impressed with the Highlands. The tea plantations are pretty to look at from a distance and the weather was cool compared to KL. Yes, there are lots of fruits and vegetables grown there, but hydroponic in greenhouses--not scenic farms! I stopped at a strawberry farm/roadside shop that sold everything you could put strawberries in. Not very exotic but the strawberry milkshake and muffin were delicious.

We stopped on the way to see a house built by the indigenous people on the side of the road--they sell flutes and blow guns and such that they have carved. Half tourist trap/half authentic look at the people who live in and off of the jungle. It was nice to see that jungle still existed here as so much of the country has been razed to plant palm trees. Of course the palm oil has provided the funds to have such modern infrastructure, but at the expense of the beauty of the country.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 05:49 PM

Overall, I think your itinerary looks good. A couple of comments: we felt Mt. Kinalabu Park was a disappointment after being in the rainforest. We very much enjoyed Kuching, and would advise two to three days there just in the city. Day trips would mean you need extra time in Kuching.

I've not been to the Cameron Highlands, though the Jim Thompson legend makes it sound like such a wild, untamed area. Everything else I've read about it makes it sound like a bit of a disappointment, especially after BRL. So I've skipped it on my multiple trips to Malaysia.

If at all possible, I'd add another day to the BRL.

Also, I don't know where tiny baubles lives, but I thought the Malaysian highway system was in MUCH better repair than the roads where I live, anyway.

Travel agents can sometimes get you better rates than the hotel itself will give you. So that doesn't make be suspicious at all.
Old Nov 21st, 2013, 06:53 PM

sounds like another great adventure..

i vote for hakone for your japan stay..
Old Nov 22nd, 2013, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

it helps to work things out with others who have similar travel interests...thanks for the replies so far...I am struggling with the CH part because it is a chunk of time and I haven't heard anyone say they LOVE it.
Anyone out there been to Turtle Island??