Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > United States
Reload this Page >

Four Days in Central Area for Brandywine and Amish or Two and Two?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a wedding in Philly we have four nights and 3 1/2 days to see two areas. Since we are from the west coast we have limited time to see all!!! We want to visit the Brandywine Museum, Longwood gardens and then wander the Amish back roads. Should we stay two nights in each area or four in a "central area"?
We are eventually on our way to Fallingwater and we will fly out of Pittsburg.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 05:58 AM

As a person who hates moving hotels and doesn't mind driving, I would pick one hotel and stay there. I'm not familiar with hotels, but I've heard that are some really nice B&B's that direction. Maybe others can chime in ?

Lancaster is about 1 - 1 1/2 hours drive from Chadds Ford - depending on the time of day. Tends to be smaller one lane roads so if stuck behind a tractor or slow moving car, it will take longer.

Longwood Gardens is great - you will enjoy that!

Have you thought about visiting Winterthur ?
http://www.winterthur.org/

Or the Nemours mansion ?
http://www.nemours.org/mansion.html

Its been years and I don't remember the details, but they are worth a visit -
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 10:54 AM

Depending on what you hope to see, you can easily make a visit to Amish Country as a day trip from the Brandywine Area. This is because 90% of what's in "Amish" Country -- ie, massive consumerism -- not only has nothing whatsoever to do with the Amish, but is opposed to their beliefs. You can drive the back roads for a few hours, seeing Amish in buggies and working in their fields, and stopping at a farm for some simple farm products. Remember that the Amish do NOT want to be photographed (even from a distance) and will NOT discuss their beliefs with visitors. You may wish to take a tour with people familar with the Amish (former members and/or people who have built friendships over the decades), but all of this can be done in a day.
Of course, if you do want to engage in activities the Amish are completely opposed to, you could easily spend a couple of days AND a lot of money.
Old Apr 27th, 2009, 04:52 PM
Original Poster

Paul, I have read your "warnings" previously. I even copied the route you described to see some of the real Amish country. Where would you stay in the Brandywine area to be somewhat close to the "Amish" country? Thanks, ZIN
Old Apr 28th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Zin--
Since the Brandywine Area is just over an hour from where I live, I truly have no ideas on where to stay in that place. Even the innumerable trips I've taken to Lancaster County have (almost) always been day trips. Sorry.
Hope you enjoy Lancaster as much as we have over the last ten years!
Old May 4th, 2009, 12:52 PM

This is very do-able, I promise.After the wedding, hit Longwood Gardens and then head west toward Lancaster (1 Hour).Try the Marriott Courtyard,Hilton Garden Inn or maybe the Bird-In-Hand Inn. A full day is fine. Then go west to Gettysburg and Harpers Ferry where you'll need help with a nite's lodging. The Canaan Valley State Park in WV is very accessible to Rte 70 and their Lodge is OK. Nearby Berkeley(?) Springs,WV is actually different and interesting. Rte 70 west will then lead you to the PA Turnpike and Pittsburgh.You won't see everything but will be surprised with some pretty country.The routes aren't all expressways but will be easy to follow on a map of PA.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:08 PM
GBC

I think that somewhere in here we've lost the plan to include the Brandywine Museum. Please don't let it slip through the cracks - it is a very worthwhile stop for those who may be interested in the Wyeth family art.

(Note: not too far away is the very unusual Barnes Foundation art collection.)

I live in the area so I can't help much regarding lodging but if I were you I think I would stay near the Brandwine and then do the Amish country just as a drive through enroute to Fallingwater. Be sure to reserve ahead for Fallingwater. If I were to stay in the Amish area I would avoid Lancaster in favor of Bird in Hand, New Holland, or Lititz (home of Wilbur Buds)