places to stay

May 11th, 2004, 02:47 PM
Original Poster

places to stay

Hi there. Heading to Chiang Mai, then pai, then Krabi, then Koh Lanta, all in Feb. 05.
Would appreciate recommendations as to mid-range places to stay, as well as how long to stay in each place. Thanks!
May 11th, 2004, 02:55 PM

Fern Resort in Pai is nice, also the Imperiel Golden triangle, bot cheap/mid range. In Chiang Mai a lot of us like the Tamarind Village. if you really want to get 'into' the feel of places I would give 3 nights or maybe 4, you might want to stick just just one of either Krabi or Koh Lanta, Koh Lanta is very quiet, around Krabi there are lots of beaches plus Phang Nga Bay area plus Phi Phi etc, I would tend to give Krabi a solid8-10 days if you can. After Krabi I don't think you will find too much on Lanta to interest you but Koh Lanta is still a nice quiet Island but unless you have a good 3 weeks plus I wouldn't do both.
May 11th, 2004, 03:56 PM
Original Poster

Thanks. Is the Fern resort in Pai, though? It seems to be in another town..

have you been to both Koh Lanta and Krabi? I was thinking from Koh Lanta we could take day trips to Phi Phi and other islands, and dive trips. But Krabi also sounded nice. We dont' really like the party scene..don't shop much, either. Also not into the time share crowd. Any advice based on this new info?
May 13th, 2004, 05:24 AM

I like Koh Lanta BECAUSE it's quiet. The further south you go the quieter it becomes. Reminds me of Koh Samui in the early '80's. The Waterfall Bay Resort is about as quiet as you can get, on a semi-private beach. No pool, but a calm sea and A/C if you require it. For some mellow beachfront music at night, the Lanta Miami Bungalows has a bar in the sand for casual socializing. Food's good there, and the room prices are very reasonable. More upscale places are the Narima Resort and the top of the line Pimalai. I've read that the Narima now has a pool, which wasn't there my last visit.
May 13th, 2004, 10:14 AM
Original Poster

How about Koh Ngai instead of Koh Lanta? I am hearing Railey is too small and crowded.. I don't think we'll get bored on Ngai if we can take boat trips to see other islands.

Anyone been to Koh Ngai lately? What resort?
May 13th, 2004, 02:39 PM

Fern resort is in Mae Hon Song, a lovely place to stay-we were there in July last year and LOVED the place! Krabi particularly Railay West is perfect for a week. Railay is my idea of the perfect beach with no time share crowds, few bars, everything was so quiet by 11 pm. Railay East is a different story! Check out Sand and Sea resort at Railay West on sawadee.com. In early May 2004 the resorts were uncrowded and it was near perfect weather with rain late afternoon and fine days. I would have 5 days at each destination and I would avoid Riverview Lodge in Chiang Mai-horrible owners & rude arrogant staff with tiny rooms all for 1800 baht!!!Tamarind Village is lovely and when we return in Dec we'll stay there. Inspected it in July and loved the ambience and location. Koh Lanta was a "waste of time" according to several couples we met in Krabi. Time is too short to waste it on places with big reputations that underdeliver, imho. We were so glad we chose Railay West and not Ao Nang (dirty & overdeveloped). Good luck.
May 15th, 2004, 10:56 AM

I love Railay as well, but did notice the increase in building from Jan 2002 to February 2003. I still can't wait to go back though! We stayed at the Sand and Sea Resort in 2003, in 2002 we rented a house at the Railay Beach Club. One of my favorite things to do there is take a longtail out to the Ko Poda and just hang out on the beach.

http://kerstentraveler.com/photos.htm
May 15th, 2004, 08:22 PM

One more vote for Tamarind Village. Stayed there in dec and LOVEd it. Great VFM too. Koh Lanta the Sri Lanta resort and Krabi the Costa lanta resorts have been getting good reviews. Not stayed there.
May 17th, 2004, 08:18 AM

Unless it's grown, there are only 3 places to stay on all of Koh Ngai, the Fantasy Resort, the Koh Ngai Resort and one other backpacker special. The view out to sea from the Fantasy Resort is picture-postcard perfect. The white sand, crystal-clear water and limestone karsts offshore make for an idyllic setting. There is, however, ABSOLUTELY NO nightlife, shopping or restaurants on Koh Ngai. It's best for those who will be satisfied to stay in one place and soak up the sun, swim, read and take walks. You can get there either by boat from Koh Lanta or from Trang on the mainland south of Krabi.