Place to Propose? :)

Nov 29th, 2005, 07:37 PM
Original Poster

Place to Propose? :)

My girlfriend and I are headed to Bangkok at the end of January and I have it set in my head to propose... yay! But where? We are staying at the Royal Orchid, but I would rather not propose in a hotel or restaurant. A perfect outside spot outside of town (train ride?) or a great view in town or some "in the moment" place in Bangkok is what I have in mind. Any of you seasoned Bangkok travelers have any advice? Thanks!
Nov 29th, 2005, 07:44 PM

two places come to mind...one is maybe traditional and one not so....

hire a long tail boat and take a klong tour of thornburi....the sheraton will get the boat for you and it will pick you up at the hotel and return you there....trip about 2-3 hours---cost about 400 B ($10) per hour.....at the end have the hotel tell the boat man, in thai, to stop the boat in the middle of the river and turn to her and give it to her right there....fabulous....

bangkok would be a good place to buy your wedding rings too...

the second place is at the sky bar on the 64th floor of the state building at the corner of silom and new roads....its fantastic....the bar is a circular outcropping from the roof of the building and has the most fabulous view of bangkok....go at nite...its fabulous....you could have dinner there as well at sirrocco....

another thing you could do is go to a really nice restaurant and have the ring delivered to her on a fancy plate by the waiter...you would have to pre-arrange that...

the sheraton conceige could help you arrange all of these things....
Nov 29th, 2005, 07:48 PM

i got engaged in the dining room of the plaza hotel in NYC...i was going to do it in a handsome cab in central park but it was pouring that day....

problem arose when i undid the safety pin in my vest pocket which was holding the ring and stuck myself....i gave a little yell...blood on the ring...oh well...lunch was a success...and now the plaza oak room and plaza itself are no more....

thought you might enjoy my ring day...
Nov 29th, 2005, 08:41 PM
Original Poster

Haha... thanks... funny story!
Nov 29th, 2005, 09:42 PM

How about NEP?
Nov 30th, 2005, 01:24 AM
Original Poster

What is NEP?
Nov 30th, 2005, 03:39 AM

Switch to the Peninsula, book the helicopter transfer from the airport and propose on the flight in to BKK!
Nov 30th, 2005, 03:45 AM

I haven't been to Bed restaurant - but from the reviews that certainly sounds like a memorable place to propose, quirky rather than romantic though?

Are you anywhere else in Thailand - a friend of mine was proposed to on the beach. 'Will you marry me?' written in the sand, surrounded by candles in little glass bowls and with a waiter on standby with champange, v romantic and private.
Nov 30th, 2005, 05:11 AM

a friend of mine spent a 2 week trip in thailand trying to find the perfect place and ended up doing it at the restaurant at the Royal Orchid.

I would definitely do it on the river -- either on a long tail boat or at one of the lovely restaurants overlooking the river. I would NOT do it on one of the dinner cruises.
Nov 30th, 2005, 06:48 AM

Totally agree with Bob and Gloria. Long tail boat trip and proposal at the end right in the middle of the river. Very romantic and unique.
Nov 30th, 2005, 06:52 AM

Bed Supper Club Restaurant was the first place that came to mind with me. Just contact them and see if they could arrange for you to announce it right there on the floor between the two seating areas. I think that would be very hip and cool. Happy Travels!
Nov 30th, 2005, 06:56 AM

I think it depends on the woman. If anyone proposed to me at Bed Supper Club and made it a public announcement they'd be given an absolute no. But then I am neither hip nor cool.
Nov 30th, 2005, 08:07 AM

What a fun thread!

I love the long tail boat idea too, I would say it should be at sunset as the lights are coming up and do it up by the Grand Palace with the stupas all lit up as a backdrop. For sunset times, go to sunrisesunset.com. If you really want to bowl her over, have the boat filled with flowers, like orchids and roses, and of course a bottle of champagne chilling in an ice bucket.

I also love the Skybar idea, I was just there for the first time a few weeks ago and boy the views are really something. If you do this, I would call ahead and tell them what you have in mind, they may set aside an area for you, or at the very least have the champagne on ice for you.

Another idea is to go on the Manohra Song boat, which is the wooden rice barge run by the Marriott Riverside (NOT one of those big booze dinner cruises). You could take one of their overnight cruises up river OR even charter the whole boat yourself for a few hours, an evening or overnight. The overnight cruise would be pretty romantic, IMO you could pop the question at sunset somewhere upriver.... You could also just join the regular dinner cruise. The boat is very nice, food is good and you may be more comfortable than in the longtail (i.e. you can get down on your knees, do men still do that??!!). There are not a lot of tables, and the few times I have done it it has not been full, so you could have privacy. Again, you might speak to them and arrange to maybe have an end of the boat to yourself. Take a look at marriott.com website or http://www.manohracruises.com.

Another thought is the garden of the Sala Rim Naan Restaurant, run by the Oriental Hotel. This is basically across the river from the Royal Orchid. There are lots of tree with fairy lights in them. Try the website for the Oriental to see if they have pictures. I wouldn't necessarily recommend you have the set dinner with dancing, but they have a separate a la carte restaurant as well, and she would not suspect anything by you taking her over there for dinner.

Finally, you might also enlist the help of the Royal Orchid. I have not stayed there in some years myself, but they may have a rooftop bar or other area which you could use, if they could arrange it with flowers, candles, champagne, etc this could be quite nice. They also have a pool area, it is a bit public, but they might be able to do something in the evening. I would contact the concierge at the Royal Orchid and ask them to help. (Maybe Kathie can offer advice on good spots, she stays there a lot).

Sorry, but I agree on the Bed Supper Club comment from gloria, I just don't think it is at all romantic, but you know your girlfriend best, maybe she would.

Nov 30th, 2005, 08:26 AM

I wasn't thinking of a public announcement at Bed - more of an intimate proposal whilst reclining in unique situation. It was in response to the 'in the moment' request - which I took to mean hip but perhasp Radiohead does not mean that at all!

The Skybar idea or overnight barge cruise appeals to me. not sure about the long tail boat though, the river is quite a noisy place with all the phut phut phuts of the longtail boats around you...

One place I thought would be lovely is Jungle Rafts in Kanchanaburi - but you have to be brave - no hot water, no air con - which means that by night it is lit by gas lamps and candles and a tranquil atmosphere...
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Original Poster

By the way you are all SO cool for your ideas! When I said "in the moment" I just meant a location you get swept up in... mid fireworks Chinese New Year was another thought... or a waterfall, a cliff overlooking something, some beautiful area... the longboat idea certainly sounds awesome as does the rooftop dinner...

Awesome ideas, keep 'em coming! haha This forum is so cool!
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:38 AM

i personally do not think bed would be a good place but that is only my opinion....
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:45 AM

Yes, Glorialf...It does depend on the woman. But if someone proposed to me at Bed, I would love it. I would look at the person as being very spontaneous, having a lot of guts, and one who thinks out of the box. Since I'm very much like that, the proposer would score 10 points out of 10 with me. Smiles. Happy Travels!
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:50 AM

To ensure a higher success rate maybe do it at a jewelry store. Then say to her- if you say yes - you can pick out your ring right there! With all those diamonds staring at her - it will be hard to say no
Nov 30th, 2005, 12:36 PM

RadioheadLA - I love the fireworks idea!
Nov 30th, 2005, 12:43 PM

I like the long tail boat idea suggested by some of the above posters. I do recommend that in addition to stopping the boat, that the driver shuts down the engine - otherwise your dearly beloved will never hear your proposal.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO