Phuket with Kids in Dec

Old Sep 9th, 2012, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket with Kids in Dec

Hi,

Planning a short trip from Singapore to Phuket sometime around 2nd or 3rd week of Dec, Looks like it will be pretty busy as I noticed from the air fares and hotels.
Kids are aged below 8 years and our interests are mostly beaches, boat rides and a bit of shopping. Not too much into nightlife as you'd imagine.
Prefer a quite beach- which is family friendly. Planning to spend about 5 days there. Wondering if anyone might be able to help with the below questions.
a) Which is the best place to stay and which beach. From what I gather, Kata beach is not too busy and wold be a good choice.
b) Can anyone reccomend a good area to stay. Not crazy about a resort since we will be spending time on the beach anyways, Prefer an apartment. Most of the places are very pricey though. My bydget is around US$150 per night
c) What are the suggested plae to include in my itinerary. SHould i make a day trip to Krabi and do PhiPhi islands? Is it a good idea to stay there overnight?
d) Lastly, is it worthwhile renting a car from airport? I am not sure of the traffic sense in phuket though. Prob better to take a taxi instead?

cheers
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 12:10 PM

i like having a car and that way you can get around easily... i find the driving there easy..

i would stay at any town except patong and phuket town.

krabi is not worth a day trip except maybe by water
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 02:50 PM

I was going to suggest Katathani Resort on Kata Noi Beach, but I'm guessing it will be out of your budget. But it would be my first choice w/family!

Traffic around Patong, Kata, Karon, etc. will be pretty heavy during the time of your visit. I'd be tempted to leave the car for another time, OR get a car if you plan to go to a bit quieter location!

Check out what is available around Mai Khao Beach. It is but 15 minutes or so from the airport, and is quieter than other beaches. You would want a car for this area. I stayed at the Renaissance, but again, it would most probably bust your budget during the high season, which December certainly is.

Weather should be fabulous! Not sure I'd take the time to do Phi Phi on this (short) trip. But it is beautiful! And the water should be pretty smooth getting out there at this time of the year. Other times it can be pretty choppy.
Old Sep 9th, 2012, 07:04 PM

Hi
i would recommend 2 beaches NaiYang and NaiHarn, you can do one day trips to Koh Phi Phi Or visit other islands (similan and surin islands,Koh Racha,Kho Khai).
I think you and your kids might like Phuket Fantasea ,You can check out their website it's kind of a good show.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 03:16 AM

That time in December $150 for a family is not much for Phuket prices.

The centara Grand beach Resort north end of Karon has excellent facilities for families but it will be way over your budget.
Kata Beach will be very crowded, Karon Beach is much longer.
Are you looking for 2 rooms or apartment style ?

There is a Water Park in the north of the island but that could cost you $150 for a family, so it is pricey. Perhaps look at somewhere like Horizon Resort Karon or , Karon Princess neither on the beach, you might just get within your budget.
Old Sep 10th, 2012, 04:57 AM

Outside the box suggestion - slip Phuket and do Bangkok. Stay at the Anatara on the river (formerly the Marriott). No beach but they have best pool in Bangkok- kids will love it and they have kids activities. Boat rides- the hotel has its own boat and the there are river taxis to take to get to the temples. Shopping galore needless to say. Much more to do and see in Bangkok and you will spend less on hotels and food.