Phuket Weather in August - honeymoon

Old Apr 30th, 2007, 01:56 AM
CSJ
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket Weather in August - honeymoon

Hi,
we have booked a 2 week honeymoon in Phuket (Cape Panwa) from August 13th to the 25th of this year, with 2 nights in Bangok at the end. However, after checking out local websites etc, I am worried about the weather as I get mixed reports. These range from the odd tropical downpour which lasts a short time to beaches being closed and one day of sun out of 10. Can anyone help with a reliable report please as we are considering changing at the moment as you only get one honeymoon. Thanks very much x
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:36 AM

Weather anywhere in the world is unpredictable.

Having said that the 'fact' is that August is in the middle of the rainy monsoon season, the guide books all have it clearly May-October rainy season, best time to go November to April and best months December to February.

To appreciwte Phuket, Phi Phi, krabi, Koh lanta, Koh Lak you need to appreciate in the clear sunny weather. You would want to do trips and that is best done when the best weather is there.

I lived in Phuket for many years, in the rainy season you might not get rain for some day, then a short shower in the evenings, perhaps an overnight thunderstorm. Daytime might be some light rain or it could be torrential rain with drains overflowed and streets flooded.
Our house I admit was low lying but we had to build a low brick barrier after being flooded inside more than once.

I know we can say don't worry, go shopping or head to a spa, but the reality is it 'is' the rainy season and that is simply why the hotel rates are so very low at that time.

You could strike it lucky, but if you had a miserable time because of the weather that just wouldn't be fair.

Cape Panwa is quite remote, so another hassle you have is that if it rains you are pretty much 'stuck' down there.

What about Koh Samui ? August rainfall Phuket is statistics wise 10.3 ins in August, Samui is 5.6 ( compare that to August winter in Melbourne when it's 2.0 ! )

My opinion is simply don't risk it, Panwa can be more sheltered actualy but it is a quiet and remote part, it's not like being on the west side where you can walk to resturants, shops etc, very much quieter.

I would seriously look at Samui ( but if you had asked about Samui in say Nov / Dec I would be saying the opposite, that 'is' the best time to visit Phuket ).

If clear sunny days with maybe just a little rain the Samui.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 03:39 AM

Here is a day by day account of the weather in Phuket in August 2006
http://phuket-weather.blogspot.com/2...1_archive.html

Hope it's of some help. We stayed at the Cape Panwa in 2005. Nothing special, but decent hotel.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 04:14 AM
CSJ
Original Poster

Thanks ever so much for your advice. Definitely going to change now methinks - will visit at the sensible time of year in the future. At least Ive learnt my lesson about not fully researching first before booking.
Old Apr 30th, 2007, 07:10 AM

Note that there are other beaches in Thailand that have lovely weather at that time of the year.

I use www.weatherbase.com to check weather when I'm planning a vacation.