Phuket vs Hanoi

Old Jul 15th, 2006, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket vs Hanoi

We are planning a trip to Thailand end of Sept/first of Oct and am concerned about the raining season. We were thinking about a relaxing 3 days at the end of the trip in Phuket. Because of the rainy season factor, we were thinking about flying to Hanoi instead to finalize our trip. Need advise.
Old Jul 15th, 2006, 07:50 AM

Now those are two totally different experiences! Personally, I'd almost always substitute another destination for a beach, especially when you can count on rainy weather at the beach. Hanoi is a fascinating city. Three days (three full days, not counting travel time?) is not much, but you could see a few highlights. I would not call Hanoi restful by any means. If you are looking for somewhere slower paced, Hanoi is not the place to go. But if you are looking for a vibrant city with lots to see and do, Hanoi fills the bill.

Tell us where else you are going and what you are interested in so we can advise you better.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 09:50 AM

Nancy, when you want to add to one of your own posts, just reply to your post. If you can't find your old post, just click on your name and a list of your posts will appear.

I've seen your follow-up question, and that you are going to Bangkok and Chaing Mai. You have just two weeks (I don't know if you have a full two weeks on the ground or if that includes your travel time).

You have enough time for one more destination, though it would be fine to confine your travel to Bangkok and Chaing Mai with day trips farther afield.

I don't know whether it is wise to try Hanoi for just three days. It's not much time to see the city and there would be no time for outside the city day trips. You might be better off saving Hanoi for the next trip. Also, you must have a visa in advance to enter VN, and the curent cost is US$65 per person.

If you have three full days, you might consider a side trip to Siem Reap, Cambodia to visit the temples at Angkor. You can see the major temples in three days. Visas for Cambodia can be purchased on arrival for US$20. There are many posts about Angkor. IF you are at all interested, read some of them.

You can see photos of Angkor, Hanoi, and Thailand at www.marlandc.com
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 05:56 PM

For good information about Phuket Weather at that time - try:

http://phuketdelight.com/Phuket-When_to_go.htm

and

http://phuketdelight.com/Phuket_Weather.htm

It is rainy season - but that doesn't mean it rains ALL the time.

Otherwise - I agree that Angkor is a better alternative than HaNoi.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 09:53 AM

Nancy, I'm topping this for you. Because your question got posted so many times (must have been the Fodors servers acting up again) you are getting bits and pieces of information posted to different versions of your questions.