Phuket Hotels?

Search

Phuket Hotels?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket Hotels?

I'm wondering whether anyone could give me some advice please. We will be in Phuket during the first week in January ( our flight lands there) and are looking for a moderately priced nice hotel within walking distance of (not necesarily on)swimming beach. We will have our 16 year old daughter with us so need 2 rooms which pushes the cost up considerably.We are looking at Duangitt( in Patong), Karon Whale and Marina (Karon)Has anyone stayed at any of these or are there any suggestions for others? We are so concerned that we might end up somewhere amidst bars and nightclubs, or find ourselves at a dump!
Any help gratefully received. Many thanks. Linda
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:38 AM

I would suggest avoiding Patong this is the main bar and nightclub area and all that comes with that. Other than that - Karon beach or Kata should be fine.

Have you considered the Cape Panwa area. It is a very popular hotel that is very reasonably priced.
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 09:57 AM

lin29 -- Haven't stayed here, but have searched a lot of reviews. Looks best for location/price.

http://directrooms-thailand.com/sout...phuket-148.htm
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 11:43 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks to you both. Linda
Old Oct 12th, 2004, 07:58 PM

I disagree with some of the other posts. Firstly, you do not have to get two rooms. We also have an only daughter and what we have done is get a room with two doubles or a double and a single. We usually stay at the Holiday Inn in Patong which is yes, fairly central but if your daughter is anything like mine she would like to be where some of the action is. The nightclubs etc are in Bangla Road which is about a 15-20 minute walk away.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:27 AM

Duangjitt is a good choice, also nearby is Coconut Village, both at the quieter south part of Patong, just a few minutes stroll to the beach. You have easy access to shoping, restaurants etc, Karon Whale is set much further back from the beach, tucked in behind the Felix Hotel area, , lots of buidling in Karon at the moment along the main road opposite the beach, Karon main street now very busy and packed with shops, WEuro restaurants etc. Marina has a nice style but it is very up and down to and from the rooms, nice restaurant on rocks over the water.
If you are into a mix of beach plus shopping, eating out the Duangjitt and Coconut Village and good for the price.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 05:39 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much. Have decided to book at Duangjitt, thanks to your advice,James. This forum is so helpful.So much better than travel agents and guide books! Have just returned from Croatia...wonderful holiday thanks largely to all the advice from Fodorites!
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 08:46 AM
Dot

I stayed at Marina in Karon a few years ago, and it was great! It is immediately accessible to the beach (our room had a deck hanging over the water -- amazing) and is quiet and peaceful. At the same time, it is in walking distance to lots and lots of shops and retaurants in Karon. You will not be disappointed.
Old Oct 13th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Just remember these are all 'suggestions', if you ever read hotel reviews you will see how one persons really hated a place, another loved it, so it goes, the Marina is a lovely place and more up market than the Duangjitt which is basically 'tourist' resort hotel type but for convenience for Patong and a quieter end of town it's good value as should be no doubt quite reasonable, if you go for the bungalows ask for one back from the road entrance. On you way into Patong you will pass the Merlin which has great outdoor buffets often with entertainment, also the H/Inn has a good range of eateries. When buying seafood that is charged by the weight do as locals do and check the weight as they weight it, it is quite normal and accepted but helps to ensure you get charged right.
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 07:22 AM

I am also looking for moderately priced hotels in Phuket - but just my husband and I so we would prefer to be in Patong. Any suggestions?
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 07:38 AM

Holiday Inn Buskorn Villas look good - very well located in Patong and a DEFINATE step up from the usual Holiday Inn
Old Oct 24th, 2004, 08:59 AM

I agree the Holiday Inn Patong is very nice, another favorite of mine has alweays been the Club Andaman, it is easy walking right into the center of Patong but just far enough away from the very busy area to feel quieter. Very nice gardens, choice of hotel style rooms or great Garden Bungalows which have a real tropical style, more pricey than the Duangjitt or Cocount Village but a little less than the Holiday Inn. If you want to be right in the center the Patong Beach Hotel or the Thara Patong are options, but Vlub Andaman has the largest garden area of the lot as it was built I guess over 15 years back so at a time when hotels had more space around them.