Notices

Phuket - Hotel suggestions

Oct 9th, 2013, 01:53 AM
Original Poster

Phuket - Hotel suggestions

Hi,

I am looking at going to Phuket with my OH for a week in November; we're in our late 20's. We are looking at staying in a beach-front or beach-view hotel (happy for a walk to the beach, as long as it's no more than 10-15 minutes), and looking at spending up to £450/$720 for the 7 nights.

I have been to Thailand before (Bangkok, Koh Samui, Chiang Mai) and really enjoyed the laid-back side of Samui and Chiang Mai. This is the first time my OH will have gone outside of Europe, and I'm looking for somewhere exceptional. I've had a look at a lot of booking sites - and I'm a bit overwhelmed with the choice, so looking for a little help. I'm not looking to be in a really touristy area, but want a chilled out atmosphere.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks.
Oct 9th, 2013, 04:23 AM

Hi dklon - I hope this will give you some actual 'help'

First you want to decide on which beach because they are very different.

Where did you stay on Koh Samui ? If you went around Samui and liked one beach better than another then say so, that way we get a better idea of what you would like.

Beach-Front or beach View is not as easy as on Koh Samui though, appreciate that. So $100 ( about B 3,000 ) you may be limited also as rates go up for most places from 1st of November.

Patong is the busiest crowded nightlife shopping European bars , pubs, shopping. Lots of concrete !

Karon and Kata are south of Patong and not as crowded but you can find nice restaurants and bars. In Karon you are stuck with just one very expensive resort the Centara Grand or a budget place ( the Inn ) , though there are plenty along the beach road so you cross the road to get to the beach, Karon Princess and Sea Sand might be within you budget but it may now be sea view or might be a side sea view like at Karon Princess.
Kata there is Kata beach Resort, might be just within or over your budget, some rooms are sea view but others are a side view over parking. There are a few other places but they are well expensive.

Kamala Beach is noth of Patong and quieter but again restautants, bars, shops. You may get some sea view but could be expensive.

I think best if you can say something about your bisit to Koh Samui because that is an amzing help to get some ideas which will suit you.

Once you jave done that I can give you some ideas about places and also tips where to book - I live in Thailand and know Phuket and Koh Samui well so I hope that helps give you some real 'help'

James
Oct 9th, 2013, 04:46 AM

Another tip - when looking at hotels watch out for wording like 'panoramic view' or 'amazing views' because that can often mean stuck up a hillside, yes great views, but a long way to the beach, you would be much better off on the beach road

The Front Village in Karon is a walk to the beach and restaurants and you can probably get just around the top end of your budget perhaps $770 for 7 nights but good for the price at that time but to get an idea of just how much rates go up, if you had same for last 7 nights of october that would only be about $45 a night without breakfast or $75 eith breakfast for nice poolside studio ( ie their Top level room )

That is Karon, as I have already mentioned if you want busy and close to nightlife Patong might be for you but, your budget should be fine for Patong but probably a short walk to the beach road and no sea views.

In Patong Coconut Village to me is one of the very best for value and unlike many other places in that price range it still has a tropical island feel, it is south part of patong so you can get to beach ( less crowded that end ) but also walk to places , plenty of photos here

http://phuket-luxury-hotels.com.r24....Village-Resort

lots of palm trees and garden area, standard room including all taxes and brekfast in early November under $ 80( pressuming you mean US$ or AU$ )a night ( about $ 545 for 7 nights ) which is good value for that time
Oct 9th, 2013, 06:53 AM

This thread sure did attract the spam!

JamesA, thanks for stepping in and offering some good info. James lives in Thailand so has good information.

The booking site I typically use for Thailand is www.sawasdee.com although sometimes I can find a better deal on www.agoda.com
Oct 9th, 2013, 07:34 AM
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for your help. I stayed on Choengmon Beach, at the White House Hotel. What I liked about staying there was the hotel itself had a laid-back feel, the rooms were excellent, and walking through to the beach was beautiful. The town was small, and quiet, which I enjoyed. There were some small restaurants near the hotel where we ate (only ate in the hotel for breakfast) and happily would do the same again. I know that Phuket generally will be a lot busier though than Koh Samui.

I'd be prepared to compromise on the beach/beach view if that gives me better options in terms of the quality of the accommodation.

Thanks in advance!
Oct 9th, 2013, 01:33 PM

This is what is somewhat tricky on Phuket as many areas which were once quite are now very touristy, however, thinking about White House , style of area and very important your budget, I think the Manthai at Surin beach might come about the closest, Surin is a quieter I guess you could say more stylish area but that positive !
It is very close to the Amanpuri which is one of the mega luxury places so you are in good company / neighbours .. there are some nice restaurants in the area.

Have a look at this, just on $100 a night with breakfast taxes etc , deluxe room, ( Hotel deal promotion ) for November, that is fact goes into Sawadee who in my opinion are excellent . For that type of place at that time of year it is pretty good value.

http://phuket-luxury-hotels.com.r24....anathai-Resort

That is a much more relaxed area than even Kata or Karon

I am only up now as it is puppies time again .....

Search this Thread