PHUKET any Vegetarian tips

Dec 11th, 2004, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

PHUKET any Vegetarian tips

Having five days there in the middle of December. We are vegetarians, and although have heard a lot about the food there, it all seems to be fish based!! Any ideas folks??
Dec 11th, 2004, 08:26 PM

You will have no problems finding plenty of vegetarian food both in restaurants and from local street stalls ! If you tell us which beach area you will be staying in I am sure many of us can suggest a few restaurants.
Dec 12th, 2004, 06:17 PM
Original Poster

Thats good to hear. The places we will be are Khao Lak and Surin Beach. Khao Lak is not on Phuket island but about 50 miles north on the mainland. We've never been to Phuket so would appreciate any/all tips! Thanks.
Dec 13th, 2004, 04:53 AM

I just spent five days at Surin beach with one of our party being vegetarian. We found that although few restaurants had veggie food on the menu all were able to cook a veggie meal to order (Curry, stir-frys, noodles etc). We stayed at Twinpalms and ate at Oriental Spoon several times - which I would thoroughly recommend Ė the main menu only had one veggie option (pizza) but the Chef would always prepare a veggie option off menu. There was also an Italian restaurant with veggie choices(which we didnít try).
Dec 13th, 2004, 07:49 PM
Original Poster

David_London, as luck would have it, we are spending 3 nights at the Twin Palms, so am glad to hear what you have said!!!
Dec 13th, 2004, 08:17 PM

In 'Thai' restaurants you will always find plenty of vegetarian dishes and curries. In Surin I cannot comment on any particular place but it doesn't really matter as they will have veggy dishes.

This link will also help, thanks as 'always' to Anil at Suk II Guesthouse in Bangkok for making these available:- Thai language card you can print out saying "I am Vegetarian" in Thaibr />
This link also has a printable Thai language card for 'Peanut allergy' etc.

http://www.suk11.com/allergy.htm
Dec 14th, 2004, 09:44 AM

I'm vegetarian...for 29 years...and as for Thailand...yes, there are lots of veggies, however, there is a lot of meat/fish flavoring in dishes,too. I personally will eat eggs...if I have to...and I'll eat fish.However, I eat no dairy...due to being allergic. But if you a very strict, then it could be a problem.Happy Problems!
Dec 16th, 2004, 11:51 AM

I meant...Happy Travels! I'm multi-tasking too much right now and my mind is fried. Sorry.