Phuket Accomodation/Weather

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:02 PM
James

Phuket Accomodation/Weather

My girfriend and I are planning to spend around 10 days in Phuket in early September. We are looking to stay at the Holiday Inn but were told that it specializes in families with children and not to stay there. Can anyone confirm or deny this - is it still okay for a couple to stay at? Also, we were told that as it was the wet season in September we wouldn't be able to swim in the sea due to strong currents. Is this true or is it only on certain days that you can't swim?

Any help would be most appreciated

Thanks

James

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:01 PM
Morgan

Swimmin 'will' be a problem, the undercurrents make the water look not too bad, hence when red flags are posted people swim, but they drown too!
The Holiday Inn caters well for kids. You won't want to take them near Soi Bangla at night though. There's McDonalds, Starbucks and plenty of burger joints in Patong Beach for the kids.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 12:49 PM
jenomad

I don't even recommend Phuket at all. Unless u just like to meet alot of Germans and Dutch and see weird sexshows. There are many other islands which are much less touristy for a real holiday.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 03:01 PM
Michael From New York

The last poster has made only partial reality.While there are many western eruopeans that visit phuket, they are hardly an exclusive lot. Second, there are considerable places that cater to those interested in pleasures of the flesh, but Phuket is a big island. You can stay in Kata Yai, Kata Noi, Karon,
Naiharn Beach, bBang-Tao...etc etc and not have to deal with Patong and in particular Bangla Soi. It is hardly fair to downgrade the whole resort island because of one area.

I recall that while staying in Kata Noi, there were days that were red flagged, as the sea was thought to be strong. Many people swam anyway. I did not see any days that the seas were so rough that swimming wasn't possible.

More likely to be a problem is September Weather which includes the rainy season. And if your are in storm season then indeed the ocean may be too rough. I was there last few days in October first 10 days in November.

Michael

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 10:52 PM
nicole

Just returned from Phuket! Had a great time staying at the new Marriot hotel that opened 3 months ago.

I would not stay in Patong. I was by far the worst place we experienced.

Take a boat trip for a day and enjoy the beautiful water and sea cliffs.