Buddhas in Bangkok

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 08:42 PM
Daisy

Buddhas in Bangkok

I am going to Bangkok for the first time, in a week or so. I am very interested in Buddhism and would like to purchase a small statuette of a Buddha as a memento.

However, I have been told that it is not permitted to take such statuettes out of the country - it is regarded as an insult.

Can anybody clear this up for me? Are my informants pulling my leg or is this really true? I don't want to offend anyone.

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Maureen

To the top

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 05:06 PM
Brenda

TTT......I'm interested in the answer, too. Thanks!

Old Apr 7th, 2002, 11:52 PM
lcuy

My understanding was that you can't take antique statues of Buddah, but can take new ones.
I brought home a small stone one, but it was a few years back. Anyone else know for sure?

Old Apr 8th, 2002, 01:39 AM
Colin

My understanding of it was that rare artefacts were not allowed to be taken out of the country.

Although, I must admit I did read the small print on what you shouldn't take in/out of the country, and it was worded in such a way as to make you believe that it meant ALL Buddhas statues were forbidden to be taken out of the country.

I came home with carved wooden mask of the Buddha. I was fortunate not to want a statue as I'd already bought one in Manchester, UK before going over!

Thailand Travelogue & Photos
http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~fos007/fb2b.htm