Phuket Accommodation

Search

Phuket Accommodation

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2004, 04:43 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Phuket Accommodation

After much deliberation we have decided on going to Phuket in mid September (I know its monsoon season but we will keep our fingers crossed!). We need 2 rooms (one for 2 adults & other for kids 7&6yrs) & need some opinions on hotels. Options are Merlin Beach Resort or Diamond Cliff Resort or Kata Thani Resort. We were wanting something central & close to everything but also wanting a bit of luxury Thai style, can anyone recommend one of these hotels & room types or recommend something else. (most hotels wont allow kids under 11yrs in pool access rooms - unfortunately)
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 08:49 AM

The Meridien Hotel (not The Royal Meridien Phuket Yacht Club)is a large luxurious hotel with loads of facilities, in its own secluded bay, yet only a 5 minute drive by tuk tuk / taxi from Patong. I think you need to do a bit of research on whether Patong is for you though.

The hotels at the Laguna Phuket (Dusit, Sheraton, Laguna Beach, Allamnda and the Banyan Tree (v pricy)) make up their own self contained mini town and are nice, but you are a bit cut off.

The Kata Thani is in a nice spot on Kata Beach. If you pick this one make sure you plump for the larger and better rooms at the Kata Thani instead of its sister hotel Kata Bura next door.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 09:46 AM

I totally agree with Walter's suggestions, the Meridient has it's own beach and that in a big bonus, also very large pools including good kid's pools, also a kid's club, it is modern, about 5 floors, though it is very good for kids as the beach is right in front of you. It is a few kms north of Patong so you are well 'out of Patong' itself, it's a good choice.
Do watch the weather, keep a check on www.phuketgazette.net for weather reports and forecasts for any severe weather. Forget the Diamond Cliff, not good location and walk across road to beach. The Kata Thani also a good option but again, beach road, I think with kids you don't want to have to take them to/from the beach, is so much better knowing no roads to cross and therefore no touts to deal with etc, I think the Meridient would be a good choice for a family, also quite a few things going on there if you get caught in very bad weather.
Hope you get fine weather but remember, Monsoon season 'means' Monsoon season, surprised you havem't opted for Koh Samui where weather should be far far better.
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Ok, I think I better take your advice! Thank you!
What do you suggest then in Koh Samui, once again 2 rooms, Chaweng area, good resort that caters for kids / families?
Old Jul 27th, 2004, 05:35 PM

Stayed at the Amandari 2 years ago. Besides being outragiously priced it is vastly over-rated. We are going to the Meridian-we like small-in April.
Old Jul 28th, 2004, 12:33 AM

Samui has a lot of places right on the beach, there are so many...here's a few that I have seen getting good reviews and are well known with rough price guide, guessing from those places you were looking at I 'guess' you are looking in the $70-130 rough range.

Samui Newstar $40
Nora beach $70
Chaweng Buri $70
Central Samui ( Very Good ) $105
Poppies ( famous!!) $150

http://www.georgechang.travelreporte...whats_new.html

You can see all the photos and also reviews

Take a browse thru them and you will get the idea of what's available. Check Bangkok Airways website for promotion fares

www.bangkokair.com