Photos of Angkor

Search

Photos of Angkor

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18th, 2003, 11:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Photos of Angkor

Some of you have enjoyed my traveling companion's website of photos we took at Angkor in December, 2001. The web address has changed, and the Angkor photos are now at www.angkorwat.marlandc.com
You can access our photos of Luang Prabang through her home page at www.marlandc.com
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 03:24 PM

Thanks, Kathie. I really liked your site and photos. You, me, and Sandi -- we're the Angkor Booster Club. We should get a medal from the Cambodia Tourist Board.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 04:49 PM

<<You, me, and Sandi -- we're the Angkor Booster Club.>>

I'd be a card-carrying member too were it not for the fact that I'm not qualified, not haven't been there yet. Once I return from Angkor in February, I'll likely submit my application for a life-time membership.
Old Oct 19th, 2003, 05:01 PM

Mike, we will welcome you into the club! It is so exciting that you are going -- you have so much information already that it will be a fabulous experience for you.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Original Poster

Glad you enjoyed the photos!

Mike, I'll be interested in your reactions on your return from Angkor. It is truly an amazing experience.
Old Oct 21st, 2003, 04:03 AM
sandi

Kathie -

The photos are beautiful, some similar to those we also took, during our trip last year. And yes, t-shirts, on average cost about $3 - $3.50. We didn't go to as many temples as we were there for only a short 2-days. Though I do have lots of those tree root photos from Ta Phrom.

Shortly before we left for our trip I watched a program on Wide Angle (on a PBS station) about how the fibre optic cable was layed to connect Cambodia to the cables from Thailand, Vietnam (and maybe Laos. The poorest of the poor volunteered, uprooting their entire families. Digging with hand shovels in the hardest earth a ditch 1' deep, 2'wide - and so many landmines still exploding.

Interesting to hear one of these family men question "why are we doing this when most of us cannot even read". In the end, most of these people made little or no money as the crew chiefs never paid them, running away with the funds - corruption lives and how very sad.

Finally coming into the 21st Century - you can easily see where the cable runs along the main street in Siem Reap with so many Internet Cafes connected a few feet away.

While its interesting to visit and see these amazing temples, it's just as important to know the history of this culture and its people, so much of which was destroyed during the years of Pol Pot and not many peoples have clean hands in this horror.

Kathie - thanks for a wonderful tour through this beautiful country.

Old Oct 21st, 2003, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

sandi, I'm glad you enjoyed the photos. And you are so right about understanding both the ancient history and the recent history enhancing our understanding of what we see. One of our interesting experiences was of two small boys talking with us at one of the ruined temples (Preah Pithu). They were vivid in their descriptions of what the Khmer Rouge had done to the temples, miming how the KR cut off the heads of the Buddha statues, and pointing out the damage from bullets. I think the juxtaposition of our conversation and the broken carving of the bodisattva with the sword gave such a resonance to the photo I took of the stone that it remains my favorite photo of the trip. (you can see the photo on the Preah Pithu page of the site)
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 02:48 AM

If we can contribute with more photos album you can visit www.geographic-expeditions.com and enjoy some of Cambodia in general, Laos and Vietnam for the time being. Many more will be added soon.
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 06:24 AM

Am considering travelling over to Siem Reap in February and according to the CDC, there is a risk of malaria in that area. Does everyone going there take anti-malarials?
Old Nov 2nd, 2003, 07:52 AM
Original Poster

Not everyone does, but it is certainly wise to do so. Consult with a tropical medicine or travel medicine clinic about anti-malarials and immunizations before your trip. If you do a search on anti-malarials on this site, I've posted information on this topic before,