Photo Impressions: A Journey in Burma

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My trip report will be mercifully brief; my photos, I hope, will give viewers a sense of Burma in 2007. You can view these images at http:www.whitepelicanphotography.com: just open the Burma gallery. My focus during my travels here and elsewhere is on people: their lives and spirits.

My trip to Burma began at the end of January; on February 10th I met a small photo group to continue on to Laos and Cambodia. This report is on the Burma portion of my journey, arranged by Santa Maria Travel and Tours, which I highly recommend. Moe (MM) helped me with the initial arrangements and also acted as my tour guide. That arrangement worked well--it was rather like traveling with a friend who was very competent and flexible. I had time to myself, yet MM naviagted the airports, settled me into hotels, found the best viewing spots for photos, arranged transportation, and so on, saving me time, energy, and grief.

A note on my decision to travel to Burma: I had wanted to visit Burma for the past ten or so years and had chosen not to because I didn't in any way want to support the despicable military junta that has an iron grasp on thecountry and people's lives. Finally, I made the choice to travel to Burma since isolation has done no good and, if anything, the situation in the country is deteriorating. I feel I made the right choice, and I plan to return, perhaps next year.

In speaking with people while I was traveling, I concluded that the reseult of the boycott is increased deprivation for the people. Tourists bring sorely needed business opportunities and cash, while the governmenet is doign nothing to help the local populace. Education is deteriorating, health care is poor or non-existent, people live in fear and often without hope, and their lives are monitored. They desperately want visitors and exposure to the outside world and some feel that hope lies in sending their children abroad for education and exposure to the outside world; the hope is that the children would return home and promote change. Of course this education takes money. Too, with increased exposure from tourists, the feeling is that the military will be more accountable in its actions.

I have the greatest admiration for the kind and generous individuals I met who manage a warm, smiling presence and a sense of humor in spite of the oppressive conditions they endure.

A few comments on hotels: I liked them all. The Savoy in Yangon offers a charming ambiance, and the staff is warm and welcoming. The same is true of the Thande in Bagan. Here the grounds are well kept, the river view from the front cottages relaxing. I especially enjoyed the kitchen staff here: we had fun viewing my photos on the computer. In Mandalay the City Hotel is not glamorous but it is conveneient and clean. I was glad to be in the middle of the city here and to get a sense of urban life. During the day I toured the towns in the area and am glad I chose to stay in Mandalay--I almost skipped it.

In Pindaya I stayed at the Pinndaya Inn, the most rustic of my accommodations but pleasant and in a good location near the lake. Finally, the Inle Princess was my choice at Inle Lake: a lovely lake-front cottage with sunset views, a gerat spa, picturesque grounds, and good food, as well as the always-accommodating staff.

I can't easily pinpoint highlights of the itinerary, for the entire trip was incredible and I wouldn't have changed anything. However, when I return I will spend more time (12 days was not enough)--and more time in each place. I especially want to explore Shan State and less tourist-ridden areas and to include a trek. I was astounded at the number of tourists (not Americans--I met only a few) and hope next time to travel at a less popular time (November?).

Thanks to all of you who patiently answered my questions as iw as plannign this trip. And to those of you who are thinking of traveling to Burma: I am glad to answer questions--and even supply additional photos!
Old Mar 31st, 2007, 10:50 PM

Very nice photographs!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:27 AM

Sandra - these photos are absolutely fabulous. Is photography a hobby for you or do you do it for a living?
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 04:54 AM

Wonderful pictures. The people are so alive. Thanks.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:44 AM

Absolutely stunning!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:30 AM

gorgeous photos. It sounds like you went through the same learning curve about Burma that I did and had the same response on trip that I did when I first went. I spent almost a month there my first time and felt like it wasn't enough.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 06:49 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your kind responses. I loved taking those photos. Burma is an amazing place for photography--one of the reasons I plan to return.

Craig--Photography is a hobby, newly acquired, though now I'm next to obsessed about it as you might be able to tell. I used to teach writing and literature; now I'm offfering photos instead of words! Just read your trip report: what incredible detail--many thanks for allowing me to relive parts of the trip.

Glorialf--I now understand why you urge travelers to spend more time in Shan State. We are definitely on the same page in our views of the country and people. Special thanks to you for all your wonderfully informative posts about the country.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 01:44 PM

Amazing photo's, I looked at all posted. Thank you for sharing!

Is Sophie a Bichon? I have Spunky, who is a Diva Bichon. She's a great dog just a tad demanding.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:03 PM

Your album is absolutely beautiful .... you have a wonderful gift. We're planning a trip to Myanmar for January 2008 and your photos are truly inspiring. Thank you so much for taking the time to post.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 02:53 PM

I simply LOVED your pictures!!! I'm going to Myanmar in January 2008 and your pictures assured me I'll be visiting the right country!!
I loved Sophie too! The two things I love most in life : travel and dogs!!!
CONGRATULATIONS!!!
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 03:58 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, hester, NLspirit, and lery for your generous feedback. I really appreciate the comments.

Yes, hester, Sophie is a bichon--and definitely a diva (aren't they all?), but she's the most intelligent, cheerful, friendly dog I've known--a great companion.

NLspirit and lery: I am excited for you both (your January 2008 trips to Myanmar). Have fun planning! We are here to answer your questions as they come up.
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 05:20 PM

WOW...fantastic pics....
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 07:18 PM

Wonderful, wonderful photos!!!

I read 'about me' and see what kind of equipment you used and I noticed in a posting above you said you hadn't been doing photograpy seriously very long. Exactly how long is that??? You obviously have a talent for it!!

Thanks for posting and sharing. I hope you're going to add Laos and Cambodia trip report and pics (I know, some people are just never satisfied - always asking for more!).
Old Apr 1st, 2007, 08:33 PM

Sandra,
Gorgeous photos -- I had to see what you'd shot in Bali, and I recognized one of the dancers, the young girl with the tray of blossoms. Thank you for taking me back.
You've got a great eye !!
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 07:50 AM

You didn't mention anything about Cambodia or Laos. What were your impressions and if you had to pick one to go to, which would it be?
Old Apr 2nd, 2007, 09:03 AM

Lovely, lovely photos! Thank you so much for sharing!

I have long wanted to visit Burma. I have cancelled trips three or four times in the last 15 years because of the political situation. I appreciate your comments on your decision to go. I am again considering whether to travel to Burma, and it is always helpful to hear the considered opinion of other travelers.
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the commentaries.

Kathie,
I think I know just where you are with the difficult decision about whether to travel to Burma. I was doubtful through the last minute; however, once I arrived I knew that I'd made the right choice for me. If you do decide to travel to Burma, I expect you'll have the same experience, and I almost guarantee you'll love the country and people.

Jenshar,
Interesting that you would recognize the dancing girl though she truly does stand out. Did you stay at the Nirwana on the north coast? She lives in the nearby town.

And, windersp, I may eventually get to a Laos and Cambodia photo report though honestly I am happier with my Burma photos. Maybe I was shot out by the second half of the trip. I was disappointed in Luang Prabang where I hadn't been for 9 years: the town has changed considerably--the tourist invasion is well underway. I was amazed at Angkor Wat and would go back to Cambodia for the people, to explore other areas of the country, and for more time at the temples. There, too, I was blown away and put off by the number of tourist buses--I've never seen anything like it.

As for how long I've been "serious" about photography . . . since I took a weekend course about a year and a quarter ago; I did, however, take photos in a casual, on-automatic, way before then. Digital certainly accelerates the learning curve!
Old Apr 3rd, 2007, 09:30 PM

Wow! Stunning photos! Glad you found your visit to Burma as satisfying as I did.

Would love to also see pics from the rest of your trip.