Phi-Phi to Krabi to Koh Samui - how?

Old Sep 2nd, 2001, 11:45 PM
Sue

Phi-Phi to Krabi to Koh Samui - how?

We are normally package travellers, but for a bit of a change, I think a bit of "do it yourselfing" might be a worthwhile experience.

BUT:- How do we find out how to get from Krabi to Koh Samui (as safely & reasonably confortably as possible)? We will be arriving from Phi Phi Islands & intend staying around Krabi for a couple of days. Are there travel type shops with transport information etc for the likes of us? And how long is the journey likely to take.

Thanks for any info.

Sue

PS: We will be travelling with our two kids (6 & 4)

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 10:55 AM
Sarah Rey

Hi Sue,
You have 3 options:-
a> Bus/Ferry. Will take you best part of the day, would not recommend and the kids will probably find it quite stressfull ( you too!)
b> Car+Driver. This could be your best bet to get a driver to take you as far as Don Suk(ferry point) you can then join ferry as 'foot passengers' and then pick-up a tuk-tuk/taxi on arrival on Samui. Can only give a very 'wild' guess at cost but I should think around B 3,000 would be normal, divide by 4 and that's 750 each. I'd go for this option as reasonable in price also comfort. Never be afraid to stress to driver 'nothing over 120 kph please!'
c> Mini-bus service to Phuket Airport, about 1hr 45 minutes then take a flight ( 40-50 minutes ). You would only save perhaps 1 - 2 hrs in total journey and would be expensive.
The bus is cheap, but make sure you are prepared for the fast driving and hair-raising overtaking.
Hope this helps
Sarah

Old Sep 3rd, 2001, 04:24 PM
Sue

Thanks for your advice Sarah - I have taken notes.

I think the driver/ferry option is the best idea. Can you tell me if we will need to bargain for the fare or make arrangements via our hotel?

What about hiring a car oneway? Do you know if this is possible?

Any recommendations for accommodation - not the Rayavadee but something really nice in a good location?

Thanks again,

Sue

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 10:09 AM
sarah

Don't hire a car. One thing is that you may have 'drop-off' problems and I would not recommend except for the hardiest of drivers! On the bargaining side, considor that if you arrange through the hotel will may pay a little more but hopefully have a reliable driver. B 3,000 is about US$67. For 4 people this is quite a reasonable deal, you may get for 2,500. I am judging based on time/distance and costs elsewhere. Just ask the hotel people, if price seems high you can ask at local tour desks/offices.

Old Sep 4th, 2001, 05:00 PM
sue

Thanks again Sarah. Most appreciated.

Regards,

Sue

Old Sep 6th, 2001, 08:33 AM
john

To get from Krabi to Koh Samui, there are two quick ways

1. Bangkok Airways flight Krabi to KS
2. Drive to Phuket and take Bangkok Airways flight (takes longer, but you could stop at JAmes Bond island etc on the way)