Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

perfect secluded/romantic/upscale beach getaway in BALI?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:00 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi - i'm spending two weeks in bali on my honeymoon in two months. trying to find the perfect beach spot for our last 3 days. i'm envisioning a upscale little boutique-type place right on the beach. someplace where you roll out of bed out onto the sand.

we're already staying in ubud (at the alila) and seminyak (at the oberoi). any suggestions of areas & hotels? we're hoping to keep it under $300 a night.

one's i've been looking at: tugu bali in canggu, taman selina in pemerutan, waka maya in sanur, and dancing dragon cottages in amed.

thoughts?
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:14 PM

How about Nusa Lembongan Resort? I've been looking at it for us last night and today. E-mail correspondence with them has been quick and very friendly. Seems the beach and water over there is lovely, and it's a nice boat trip to get there. There are a few other resorts on the island, but to me they seem a bit on the tacky side. Nusa Lembongan Resort seems nice, though.

We're also thinking about Pemuteran...it's supposed to have really good diving and snorkelling. It is, however, at least 3 hours drive to the airport, so depending on your departure time, might not be best for the last days. The beach up there is not what you are imagining though...it's course black pebble sand. Some friends stayed at Taman Sari, very near to Taman Selini, and liked it. They reported that the rooms at Taman Sari were nicer than at Taman Selini, but that Selini had really nice food.

http://www.balitravelforum.com/archive200504/20518.html is good information that you might find helpful.

In Amed, the Blue Moon Villas looks nice, too. Don't know if you've looked at that one. It's a very small place, and we had nice correspondence with them last summer about our last trip but ended up not staying there.

Also on the east coast, I found this place that looks really nice. www.balibeachhouse.com

What about Jamahal? It looks gorgeous.

Old May 20th, 2005, 06:19 PM

Although the Hotel Tugu is a perfect honeymoon spot, it is not the perfect beach spot. The beach is ok but not great. It is also very close to the Oberoi, kind of defeating the purpose of moving. If you are looking at another location but don't care about beach try Damai Resort in Lovina (northern Bali) - wonderful pool, great views, excellent (but expensive) restaurant. www.damai.com
Old May 20th, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

i hadn't seen jamahal -- thanks for the link. it looks great, though it's hard to see how close it is to the beach.

i was wondering about nusa lembongan resort, too - i have a hard time getting a fix on how touristy the island is, though.

is the beach in Amed also a black-sand-rock beach?
Old May 20th, 2005, 07:10 PM

I'm not sure about the beach in Amed...we've actually never been over there.

Nusa Lembongan might be popular with day trippers on the Bali Hai cruises out there..and the hotel run by them...the Hai Tide Huts, looks to me like it's popular with the banana boat crowd. My feeling from e-mail with the Nusa Lembongan Resort is that they are a ways away from the Bali Hai and Coconuts operations, and cater to tourists on a smaller scale. After 4 pm, when the daytrippers leave, it seems like it'll be a pretty quiet island.. I hope that's right because we'll be pretty unhappy if it turns out to be otherwise.

Jamahal says it's 300 meters from the beach I think on the website...can't remember for sure.

Old May 20th, 2005, 10:41 PM

Sounds like Amankila might have been ideal for you but out of your budget..what about a private villa on the beach?
Old May 21st, 2005, 12:27 AM

What kind of room are you going to have at the Alila in Ubud? I've stayed there once and left after one night. It was very disappointing and not at all what the pictures on the website would lead you to believe. I think you could find a much better place than the Alila, especially if it's your honeymoon. There are so many nice places in Ubud.

People say Kayumanis is great and it looks very romantic. If you're looking for something intimate, stylish, and boutique-like, then Uma Ubud is the place to stay. I stayed there and loved every minute. I was definitely not impressed by the Alila and would never stay there again.
Old May 21st, 2005, 10:08 AM
Original Poster

we have a deluxe room at the alila... we were told it was great by someone else who stayed there.

which kayumanis are you referring to? there appear to be three.
Old May 21st, 2005, 02:32 PM

I stayed in a deluxe room myself and it was very small and dark. If someone has given you a recommendation for Alila, then you might want to try it, but just know that you can find much nicer places for the same money. I've been to Ubud several times and that's my feeling. If you do stay at Alila, then it might be worth it to splurge for the much bigger suite rooms with nicer views. Those rooms look like they would have much more privacy. The terrace on the deluxe room gives you no privacy at all.

I was thinking of the Kayumanis in Ubud. (kayumanis.com) I've heard it's really romantic and luxurious, though I haven't seen the rooms myself.

You might want to check out the Jan.-Feb. 2005 issue of Business Traveller Asia-Pacific if you can find it. They have a special story covering the best small hotels and villas in Bali. There are too many beautiful places to choose from in Bali! I hope you find the perfect places and have a wonderful honeymoon.
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:08 PM

The Oberoi in Bali is definately secluded from the more tourist areas on the island. The hotel is gorgeous - you get your own villa and are just steps away from the beach.

http://www.oberoibali.com/oberoibali...OB&hl_id=1

Price wise, it may be out of your budget. Published rates start at $300. But, you can try to get a lower rate of your travel agent or travel website.

they also have a special honeymoon package:
https://www.oberoihotels.com/exotich...tinfo=overview
Old May 21st, 2005, 08:10 PM

Just checked asiarooms.com - a hotel discount website. They are offering the Oberoi at $224-$267!!

http://asiarooms.com/indonesia/bali/oberoi_bali.html
Old May 22nd, 2005, 01:34 AM

janelleb, The best, white sand beaches on Bali are now fairly well developed so you're not likely to find a secluded boutique property right on the beach. There are however quite a few new villa complexes on the cliffs overlooking the sea. The Bale is one that has received a lot of press, but I've not stayed there myself. The Four Seasons and Ritz Carlton both have lovely villas but they are not right on the beach.

My favorite beach site is the Legian (the regular rooms not the Club/villas.)It's well designed and well managed and all the rooms with large balconies face the sea. The Legian is very near the Oberoi, so to stay at both may be redundant, but I would say that the Legian is far superior to the Oberoi in aesthetic, luxury and service. (Same beach, though.)

I happen to be a fan of the Alila and have stayed there frequently over the past 10 years. It's not perfect (and some people object to the architecture) but I think it's one of the most beautiful and well run properties in Bali.

I would definitely consider getting what they call a suite, which is a large room with a wraparound terrace overlooking the river valley. #303 is my favorite.