Search

Pai or Mae Hong Son

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:06 AM
SuY
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pai or Mae Hong Son

Tried posting this earlier so apologies if this is a repeat.
Debating between Pai or Mae Hong son. Husband and I want to trek/eat/ride elephants/visit hill tribes. What is the better altenative? Also, any accommodation recommendations?
Thanks much!
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 11:47 AM

I've heard good reports about this resort for a "slightly adventurous time".

http://www.maehongsontourism.net/fernresort.htm

It's in the Mae Hong Son area.

Mae Hong Son will be a bit more "touristy" although Pai has become more popular recently. The two areas are near each other and both offer the activities you are interested in. I'd check out places to stay and have that guide you.

Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 05:15 PM

Pai town is a dump compared to MHS. The Fern is a fab resort and I've recommended it to several friends and fodorites. We stayed in July 2003 and loved it. Borders a national park and they can organise everything you'd want to do. Email them at [email protected]
Old Jul 22nd, 2005, 08:04 PM

You can do what you asked in both places but I would recommend Mae Hong Son. Pai is not really a dump but it does cater to the backpack crowd and therefore has lots of cheap guesthouses and eating places. But just outside the town (15minute walk) is the Belle Villa a great place to stay. MHS has many good places to stay Fern Resort, Golden Pai & Suite Resort, Rook Holiday Hotel & Resort and the more upscale Imperial Tara Mae Hong Son Hotel. Pai you have to drive or take a bus to, but for MHS thai flies there from Chiang Mai for 2140 baht return (54us)
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 03:26 AM

We stayed at both the Fern Resort im MHS and the Belle Villa last year while driving the "Mae Hong Son loop" from Chiang Mai. Both were really nice hotels and we enjoyed our time in both locations. I would disagree that Pai is a dump, perhaps just a little more laid back. Personally, i wouldn't bother with the Imperial ( we dined there and the food was awful!) or Rooks in MHS as these tend to cater for mass tour groups. The Fern resort is a collection of bungalows set around a rice paddy & really picuresque. However it is alittle way out of town so you really need transport to make the best of the area around MHS where the scenery is spectacular. Why not try both if you have the time - the drive between the two is amazing.
Old Jul 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM

We also did the drive from mae hong son to Pai and it is spectacular. But I would do it with a car and driver rather than trying to drive yourself. I would also pass on the Rook and Imperial resorts in MHS. They are international style commercial resorts -- you could be anywhere.
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 11:27 AM
SuY
Original Poster

Thanks much for the feedback. Have contacted the Fern Resort and will likely be staying there. Did not get any confirmation number or provide my credit card information so hopefully my booking is confirmed!

Will look into hiring a driver. Any suggestions? Also, does anyone have any recommendation on who I should contact to try and organize the long boat - elephant ride trip?