1st Thailand trip

Jan 22nd, 2005, 02:12 PM
Original Poster

1st Thailand trip

We (2 adults, 2 boys age 12 and 14) are arriving in Bangkok June 21 after 2 days in Hong Kong. I am thinking we will fly directly to Chiang Mai for 3 days and then back to Bangkok for 2 or 3 days. Any suggestions on fun things to do, especially in and around Chiang Mai? I hear about things like elephant rides and rafting. Are they very touristy? What about trekking and visiting hill tribes?

Then we will go to Phuket for a week. I know it's the rainy season, but we have a free week in a 2-bedroom condo at the Marriott Resort timeshare. I don't care that much if it's not beach weather. Is it feasible to rent a car and use Phuket as a base for exploring that part of the country? There seem to be good national parks.
Thanks
Steven B
Jan 23rd, 2005, 12:44 AM

Hii

My wife and I have been to trips to both Hong Kong and Bangkok. I have posted trip reports with some pictures on my homepage http://gardkarlsen.com. Maybe you can find some useful information there

Regards
Gard
Stavanger, Norway
Jan 23rd, 2005, 05:16 AM

Fore elephants, go to the Elephant Conservation Center. It is about an hour and a half drive from Chiang Mai but is well worth it. It is far superior to the other elelphant camps and there is no question that the elephants are well cared for and not exploited. It is a wonderful place. If you could do an overnight homestay I think you and your sons would love it.

Jan 23rd, 2005, 10:36 AM

Our guide (see earlier trip description) told us they do their hiking treks from CM throughout the rainy season--it is just as you might imagine with muddy trails, slippery slopes, soaking wet hikers, and altered routes to avoid the streams and waterfalls because they are too high to cross. I like to hike, but it didn't sound to fun to me under those conditions.
Jan 23rd, 2005, 04:47 PM

I've also been to Hong Kong and then Bangkok. I wish I had spent a little more time in Hong Kong than just the 4 days we had. It's worth another visit, for sure.

I think you will enjoy Chiang Mai also.
We enjoyed Doi Suthep (sp) high on the hillside overlooking Chiang Mai. Also, the monkey school was fun. They teach monkeys how to climb palm trees and pick coconuts. We got to hold a monkey, feed monkeys, etc. It was a hoot!

Then there is the snake farm... your boys might like that!

Enjoy your trip!
Carol
Jan 23rd, 2005, 08:40 PM

Glorialf when you go to the Elephant Conservation Center can you ride the elephants or does one just observe the Elephants on the compound? Is it open everyday? How much does it cost to enter? Do you have to visit with a group tour or can one just simply show up for a couple of hours? Any info would be greatly appreciated.