Overnight in Narita

Search

Overnight in Narita

Search this Thread

Old May 16th, 2003, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overnight in Narita

I have an overnight stay in Narita en route to Rome in june. Are there any suggestions for activities/ restaurants etc?
Old May 17th, 2003, 10:12 AM

i see you found the correct site...did you see my posting on europe??
Old May 18th, 2003, 11:01 AM

Bonjour Timdog,

Depending on the lenght of the layover, you can consider staying inside the Airport, going to a nearby hotel, visiting the town of Narita or even going for a few hours to Tokyo. Here's one of the best links about Narita layover:

http://net.saipan.com/personal/mike_...arita.html#top

The security measures he talks about in the introduction have been eased (or at least there was not much left when I was there in April).
Old May 20th, 2003, 09:00 PM

Hi Timdog - it does depend on how long you have as a layover - but if you are overnighting at one of the JAL hotels then two things:
1. you will be able to make your seat bookings from the motel for your flight from Japan to Rome, and
2. the hotel has buses that run into Narita - railway and also the shopping centre.

If you get the one to the railway and ask directions/info from the hotel before or check out mike newmans site you will be able to see the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park - which is a must if you have the time. You can take a taxi but the bus is free and they run quite often.
We had a departure flight of 1.30pm and got ourselves up for 6.30am breakfast - booked our seat allocations and then took a bus to the railway and made our way to the temple, walking through some traditional market streets which were very interesting - more so on the way back from the temple as they were open by this time. While we did not spend hours and hours at the temple we at least took a look, some pictures and felt that we had made the most of the short time we had in Japan and will be going back to explore more some time in the future. We made it back to the hotel in plenty of time and in fact took an earlier bus to the airport and did some shopping, so it is all possible. If you stay just in the hotel you will not even know your in Japan you really should get out and try to see something of the culture. Hope you have a wonderful trip and if you need any more details please let me know. cheers Jan
Old May 28th, 2003, 08:57 AM

I agree you should take the very short (7-10 min by local train) trip to Narita City. I found it a pleasant walk to the park with the temples and the local shoppes/restaurants you pass along the way are a nice diversion as well. While yes, travelling into Tokyo may let you see more of a big city, Narita City is much more of the 'typical' smaller town and of an easier (at least for me) scale to tour.