8 hours in Tokyo-what to see (quickly!)

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2017, 05:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will have an 8 hour layover at Narita airport (in) Tokyo in September. I've read that many people suggest staying in Narita on short layovers because Tokyo is about an hour away. However, I will probably never go this area of the world again, and I can't be that close to a major city like Tokyo and not go. I realize that I won't have much time in the city, but I would like to at least see it.

I don't really know anything about the city except that it is huge and is very technologically advanced. What do you guys suggest trying to see in 3-4 hours? No shopping, but I'm open to just about anything else. It seems that Shibuya is a popular place. What else? Thanks!
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:13 AM

There are many more expert than I am in this area, but if you have to go through customs and security each way, and RT train to Tokyo, you really don't have enough time. I am not sure if there are helicopters, but I doubt that is what you have in mind. I have seen people suggest visiting Narita town and castle--perhaps that is more realistic. Good luck.
Old May 13th, 2017, 07:58 AM

There is some sort of tour through the ANA facility near Narita. You may want to look into that. Or like wandermama says, wander around Narita town. IIRC, it takes over an hour to get into Tokyo from the airport.
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:06 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
1 to 2 hours on arrival at the airport, 2 to 3 hours at the airport for departure, and 1+ hour each way to/from Tokyo - and you have maybe 45 mins free in the city - and that would be around the station . . .

nuff' said.
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:29 AM

What time does your flight arrive and what day of the week? If it's like a Sunday afternoon you might have a little time.

Our departure out of NRT to our ride to the hotel was less than an hour and we had bags to claim. That being said I don't think you will have 3-4 hrs. I would say 2 maximum if all goes optimally.

Yep, explore Narita town which is rather quaint or so I have read. At least you will see some of Japan and will not have to rush.
Old May 13th, 2017, 09:17 AM

http://wikitravel.org/en/Narita
Old May 13th, 2017, 10:01 AM

All of the above and: getting to Tokyo is not cheap.

Here is a classic reference that you should use:
http://www.mgnewman.com/Naritax/index.php
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:01 PM

If you have the 12 hour layover, say from from 6 am to 6 pm, you can go into Tokyo, visit Asakusa or another place that interests you get a meal, and then get back to Narita in time.

Take the JR Nex (Narita Express). It is 4000 yen and takes about an hour each way. You could instead find a bath house, go shopping and have a meal near Tokyo station and get back to Narita in 12 hours. I have done these types of trip a couple of times.

With only 8 hours, I would take the train into Narita town. It's only a few minutes. From the station, take a leisurely walk down the hill to the main temple, stopping in the food and souvenir shops along the way. Stop somewhere for lunch, then go out to the shopping center that has free shuttle buses.

Or go to Yamato-no Yu onsen for a bath.
http://www.yamatonoyu.com/eng/bath/bath.asp Directions for getting there by train/taxi are on the web site. Looks like it is 1000 for a day visit.

Depending on your time, you may be able to see the temple in Narita, then head back to the airport.

Make sure you allow enough time to get lost and get back to the airport two hours before your flight leaves. You do not want to miss an international flight!
Old May 13th, 2017, 08:40 PM

I have never been to Tokyo, but have visited other towns. I love Japan and its people. It is a unique country and everything there is beautiful.

Just sharing some things I enjoyed and maybe wherever you go, you can try to have similar experience.
You should try to visit at least one temple. You will see many Japanese rituals, traditions that will be memorable as they are special to the culture and the country.

Even just watching the monks and the people doing their own thing--such as washing hands in a special area or getting incense or even talking to monks.

I also enjoyed going to major dept. stores to browse and then also stop in the basement where there are tons of tiny food shops/vendors selling all sorts of treats that are truly beautifully packed. After you purchase anything, it is wrapped again in colorful paper and ribbon. Very neat and very memorable experience to just see how quickly a small item is wrapped up in paper. I was surprised to see so many types of rice cakes and rice snacks.

For lunch stop at a tiny restaurant and enjoy a huge, hot bowl of soup at an amazingly low price.

Lastly, enjoy looking at or buying Japanese artwork, origami decorations or even books on origami or the paper. Everything is so beautiful.

So, figure out the best way to reach some area where you can quickly experience some really Japanese rituals.

Have fun planning.
Old May 14th, 2017, 09:45 PM

There is so much to see in Tokyo. You can go to shibuya crossing, harajuku takeshita doori, you can go to the monster cafe in harajuku or the owl cafe. They also have an area called the cat street. And right by harajuku station is the meiji jingu shrine which is a must see. i would also go to shinjuku and go see omoide yokocho and golden gai and shinjuku gyoen. Asakusa shrine is also a must see!