Our agreed itinerary

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 03:21 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Our agreed itinerary

Hello,
have been reading all the posts and have asked a few questions so here is our final itinerary for our Xmas-NewYear honeymoon (we got married in may but because i had a sudden stroke at age 35 we had to reschedule - now ALL is fine and off we go)

24 December land in BKK with Thai and have one of Ratt's drivers (Kaew) drive us to the Banyan Tree Bangkok. Spend the morning R&R and then possibly go to Jim Thompson's house in the afternoon.

25-26 December tour Bangkok on our own using skytrain, metro and taxis when needed.

27 December. Kaew (Ratt's driver) picks us up at 8:00 and off we go to Athuthaya and then to Sukhothai where we spend the night at Ananda Museum Gallery.

28 December - visit Sukhothai and spend the night at Ananda once again

29 December drive on to Lampang and visit several sites along the way - sepnd the night at Lampang River Lodge.

30 December - the Lampang Elelphant Centre for the day and then drive on the Chiang Mai to stay at Karinthip (everywhere else was full including tamarind). Kaew leaves us here.

31 December - visit Chiang Mai with a guide called Ittihpon and in the evening find somewhere to dine and celebrate the new year (still working on that).

1 January - fly direct to Phuket and then take speedboat to PhiPhi to spend five nights at the www.zeavola.com

6 January fly back to BKK and take connecting flight.

Hope it is all great as at the end of this particularly crappy year a good break is what we need (lets say that pre my stroke my then not wife was in her very early thirties, and now after my stroke my now wife feels like she's in her very late 70s!!!

Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:46 AM

Wow!! Sounds like you have had one h*&% of a year. I really hope you find Thailand to be just what you need. Your itinerary sounds very nice. My only comment would be, Phi Phi island, though very beautiful, is very small and does not have the selection of restaurants and things to do that you would find on Phuket. I would plan on maybe one or two nights on Phi Phi and the rest of your beach time on Kata or Kata Noi Beach on the island of Phuket. Only you know how remote you want to be for those five nights. I, personally, would prefer a little more to do than veg on the beach for that long of a time. But that's just me!!

Do have a great trip!
Carol
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 04:51 AM

First the disclaimer that I'm not a beach person. If would reduce your time at Phi Phi by perhaps a day and add it to Chiang Mai. And speaking of Chiang Mai have you checked Yaang Come Village for rooms? It's brand new and getting great reviews -- sounds wonderful for a honeymoon.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 05:42 AM

gosh brusselschap - sounds like you and your wife have really been through the mill this year, to say the least. I really hope you have a well deserved fantastic time on your honeymoon - and what a wonderful time of year to go.

I think your itinerary looks great - although you are busy at the beginning, this is balanced by 5 days beachtime at the end. I thought I would respond on the question of phi phi from the perspective of a beach lover! We spent a week on phi phi a few years ago and loved it - really beautiful - and would be quite happy spending a week there again. However, I love beach life and the sea, snorkelling, diving etc. If you are looking for those kind of activities or complete downtime and relaxation then I think phi phi will suit you and the Zeavola looks wonderful in the Conde Nast Traveller article and completely divine on the website. I noticed that it has two restaurants so you do have some choice even if there is nowhere else nearby. The spa also looks fab - I could probably spend 5 days in there! I am sure some wonderful treatments will rejuvenate your wife!
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 06:09 AM

looks like a good trip overall...i would add extra time to bkk if you made any choices, not to CM...
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. On the five nights at Zeavola i wasn't quite sure myself but my wife is really into the sea/beach so i think five nights by the sea after 8 nights sightseeing is a fair enough deal!

Have looked at the Yaang Come and it looks great! Also the same price as Karinthip (it is new year's eve so Karinthip and others have pushed up prices!). Will see if Asiarooms will allow me to do a hotel swap (penaly is $15 i think).

Thanks for the advice.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 07:42 AM

I just saw that you are only spending two nights in Bangkok so I agree with Bob-- if you could take one day off the beach and add it to Bangkok I think you'll be happy.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 08:36 AM
Original Poster

three nights in bangkok

we land at 6am on 24th and leave at 8am on 27th. So technically it is three full days - it's just that i was planning to take it easy on 24th as we will just have landed, jetlag etc...
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:30 AM
Original Poster

Gloria,

am in the process of cancelling Karinthip, and booking Yaang Come. They have "pre-opening prices" until April 2006 so hope it doesn't mean there is bulding work

n
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 09:59 AM

Here's a review posted yesterday:
Hi there, I am currently at the Yaang Come Hotel staying here from 14th (yesterday) to 17th Nov. The hotel has just opened and I was a bit concerned as to whether I would be stuck in the middle of a building site. I am actually writing this in their reception area. This place is absolutely lovely. They are just doing a couple of minor finishing off bits, some guy behind me installing some CCTV and a few other bits. Apart from that the place is fantastic, it is literally an oasis in the middle of Chiang Mai, really weird, if I walk down the road 2 mins you are in the night market which is very busy, you are 5 mins from everything here but when you walk into this place it is tranquil. Fantastic pool and the staff are excellent and really friendly. We are outnumbered 10-1 at the moment. Met the manager yesterday who was extremely helpful and informative. There are only 2 or 3 other couples staying here at the moment so we basically have the place to ourselves. They are actually taking photos of the staff at the moment in their costumes to, I presume, put on website and marketing material. I can recommend this place 100%, compared to the other large ugly western hotels here, this place leaves them standing and I am really pleased I found this place. I reckon, next year this place will be full and the prices will double once it gets known and has a few reviews. If I were you I would get it booked now. The rooms are very nice and everything is new. You will not be disappointed! Their web site is http://www.yaangcome.com/ it really is like the photos. Hope you find this useful. Karl, Maidstone, Kent.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:10 PM

We will be at elephant camp for the 3 day program from Dec 28 - 30, so I'm sure we'll see you on the 30th. We are also staying at Yaang Come on the 30th for just one night, but we'll probably see you there, too!

We will be easy to spot as we have an 8 year old daughter.
Old Nov 16th, 2005, 02:25 PM

And I just noticed we fly to BKK on the 6th too...we are on the 11:20 flight from Phuket on Thai Air.

You are going to have a great stay at Zeavola I'm sure. It looks stunning!
Old Nov 18th, 2005, 12:37 AM
Original Poster

Yeppee.... have just got confirmation of my cancelation at Karinthip and of the the booking at Yaang Come. The latter also appears to include some form of gala dinner on the 31st so that gets rid of the new year's eve issue (and of the $220 per person dinner at the Mandarin option!!)

KimJapan: guess i will see you at Yaang Come. As for flights to BKK ont eh 6th we are on Thai as we connect to a Thai fligth out of BKK.

Thanks