Search this Thread

Old Dec 2nd, 2023, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Osaka - Kyoto - Nara

Hopefully this info is helpful for anyone planning

I did a 4 day trip to Osaka, Kyoto and Nara

stayed at Agora Place Osaka Namba
it was about 10 mins from Namba station which connects to KIX intentional airport. It’s also steps from the subway that goes around Osaka and trains for Kyoto and Nara

hotel was located next to a Family Mart convenience store. For budget travelers, you can get great food options for all meals here. The hotel is between 2 main outdoor vendor streets filled with great food and shopping.

upon arrival at KIX, I decided to use the Nankai RapiT train and chose the reserved seats. After being on a crowded plane, I wanted an assigned solo seat with less people. Train station at airport had ticket machines where you can choose English language and purchasing a ticket was straightforward. There is also in-person purchase where someone can assist if you choose not to use the machines.
TIP: Google maps or a mapping service will be your best friend. Splurge on an international plan for the days you are there, it’s worth it. My carrier AT&T knew when I landed that I was international and added the daily international plan to my account.

schedule in Osaka: stores and restaurants don’t open until 10a-11a so don’t wake up early for that. Even stores at Dotonbori open at same time.

Spent 2 days in Osaka based on an itinerary that worked for me. In my 2 days, I was able to go to the Osaka Castle, Dotonbori, and many other areas around Americamura and various shopping streets. Many stores offer tax free shopping. I was looking for Japanese flavors for Kit Kat. I noticed prices ranged 198yen - 298 yen for same package size/flavor so just be aware. Don Quijote was not the cheapest for candy but they offered tax free and also many more items. So while I found candy at 198 yen, I bought at DonQ for 218 yen for tax free and knowing I was going to buy other items. Getting around via train or walking is very convenient with Google maps. Google Maps had train times, others for other transportation methods, etc. I found convenient store prices were much lower than US. Also food like ramen, etc is also lower. I did try the staple foods of Okonomiyaki and Takoyaki. Many vendors in Dotonbori sold them and you will know the popular ones because of the wait line. Both were worth trying. I ate Okonomiyaki in a restaurant and Takoyaki is a street vendor food.

Day 3 was an early day to Kyoto. I decided to start my Kyoto excursion further up north at Kinkakujicho ( Golden temple). Using Google maps, transportation was easy to see, it was train from Osaka to Kyoto then bus. I took various buses and made my way down to Gion area and final stop at Fushimi Inari (the orange gates that Kyoto is know for). I went to other places in between and used Google Maps to figure out how to get there. I went to 5 different areas/temples at left Kyoto at 5p back for Osaka . While I didn’t feel rushed, I now know I need at least 2 days in Kyoto to furthe explore.

Day 4 was a morning trip to Nara Park. The park was about 10 mins from the train station. I spent about 3 hours at Nara Park. Part of it was obviously for the deer. It is amazing to see so many in the wild. TIP: do not feed the deer at the entrance to the park.. they are used to being fed and will aggressively knock you with their head for more. I saw kids and adults scream from being harassed and also saw a deer with horns ram a guys rear end for attention. Instead, feed the deer that are away from the entrance. They’re more docile. Most of my time was wont wandering the massive park checking out temples and other buildings within the park. This was my goal so I headed back to Osaka with only having visited Nara Park.

my flight was via Korean Air via Incheon. If you have time at Incheon, look for their FREE Transfer Lounge. They have recliners, sleepers, huge open space, bathrooms and showers. hidden gem!!

GOOD LUCK on your travels and enjoy!!

Last edited by gotta_luv_the_foie; Dec 2nd, 2023 at 03:41 PM.