Oriental or Peninsula in Bangkok?

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 13th, 2006, 12:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this has been discussed several times before, but I still can't decide. Has anyone stayed at either (or both!) hotels recently?

Price difference isn't really a big consideration. We'll only be staying there 4 or 5 nights, so proportionately it won't make a huge difference to the overall cost of our 15 night trip. More interested in service, ambience and general feeling of being pampered

Thanks for any input.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:30 AM

I was at the Peninsula last week - in one word "FANTASTIC"

Modern (But still classically elegant), beautiful rooms - excellent large pool

We nipped over to The Oriental for an evening meal - very nice but felt a little more touristy (Much more bustling in the lobby than the Peninsula)

Both are great hotels - when we were booking the Oriental was more expensive. For about $50 a night less at the Peninsula we got breakfast each day, a room upgrade, afternoon tea and daily free vouchers for the Sky Train. For us it wasn't worth paying the extra for the Oriental.

I'd check out some of the reviews of the hotels on Trip Advisor.
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:12 AM

This issue has been discussed endlessly on this forum, including a few recent reviews by people who stayed at both places. Do a search. It's really a matter of personal preference. They are both excellent hotels.
Old May 13th, 2006, 07:21 AM

There are also many reviews in the tripadvisor.com Thailand hotel review section. Some of those postings have candid photos too which I always like - can provide a different angle to the posed hotel shots!

We couldn't decide between the two so are staying at both so we can compare (but our stay is split up anyway - I'd have made a decision if I was in Bangkok for one period only during our visit).
Old May 13th, 2006, 08:58 AM
Original Poster

I'll have a look at Trip Advisor, but I was hoping someone here might have stayed at both hotels recently, so I could get a comparison.

Kathie, I did a search before I posted and could only find one short review for each hotel this year and, going back a little further, an argument between Gloria and Bill

I remember there was quite a lengthy debate on the subject some time ago here, but I was looking for more recent opinions, because hotels change so quickly and what applied even 12 months ago, might not be the case now.
Old May 13th, 2006, 11:59 AM

The problem is that the search facility on this website is very inconsistent. If you do the searches again, you may find totally different results. Also search on Asia generally, not just on Thailand.
Old May 13th, 2006, 12:42 PM

Xenos- the bottom line is that they are both 5 star hotels, on the river, with excellent pampering service and your odds of being happy are equal at either one. The Pen has a high tech feel, the Oriental more historic. It truly is a personal preference.

I would have brunch at Lord Jim no matter which hotel I stayed in, and next time I go, I'll try the Peking Duck at the Oriental as well.
Old May 13th, 2006, 01:46 PM

I've stayed at both, but it has been several years ago. Both are excellent in every way, but my preference is for the Peninsula. Just personal preference, that's all. I like the wonderful view of the river from all the rooms at the Pen.
Old May 13th, 2006, 02:22 PM

Xenos, it sounds like the search function iis acting up again. Sometimes it will turn up lots of posts, other times, it will only turn up posts a couple of years old. There was someone recently who stayed at both and gave their take on the contraversy. Was it HawaiianTraveler, perhaps?
Old May 13th, 2006, 04:24 PM

Also just returned from Asia.pent 5 nights at Peninsula (second visit, first was shortly after it opened). It has not aged and Grand Deluxe was excellent but rate doulbled to $220 in 6 years (through Sawadee) but worth it. Buffet full breakfast worth the $10/person.Enjoy!
Old May 14th, 2006, 01:50 AM
Original Poster

Having now read loads of recent reports on Trip Advisor, I think it's going to be the Peninsula.

Thanks for all your replies.
Old May 14th, 2006, 05:04 PM

The Peninsula is heavenly. We just stayed there for our second time (April 28). The best value for any fine hotel I have ever stayed in (and we have stayed at the best places.) From friends, we understand that the food at the Oriental is terrific, but the rooms in the newer end cannot compare to the fine rooms in the author's section (really pricey). That's why most of our friends opt for the elegance of the Peninsula. All rooms are gorgeous, spacious, traditionally designed, with high tech, push-button electrical wiring for everything. A sumptuous experience!

Old May 22nd, 2006, 11:57 AM

I've stayed at both and the Oriental gets my vote. I didn't like the Pen. Happy Travels!
Old May 22nd, 2006, 08:20 PM

stayed at both hotel and hands down my fav the pen classic,moder n great rooms..will be there over july 4th and can't wait for that great afternoon high tea and that mango freeze..so refreshing after being in that oppressive heat..
Old May 23rd, 2006, 03:37 AM

The debate rages on - again!

We are visiting the Oriental and the Peninsula in August (as well as the Marriott in July) - departing from our usual hotel the Shangri-La based on recommendations from this board. I can't wait to have an opinion and join in! (Less than 2 months until we are in Bangkok now!)
Old May 29th, 2006, 07:14 AM

Why does it have to be one of them? I've reviewed both and both are amazing properties. Penn is a little more modern but also on the Thonburi side of the river, and I personally hate making that trip. There is also the new Hilton Millenium (also on the Thonburi side) which had its grand opening on Friday. Its very stylish but I can't speak to the service yet. Also on the river is the ever wonderful Shangri La and the classic Royal Orchid Sheraton. Any one of these hotels is going to give you exceptional service.
As for your debate, their so close, why not split your time and stay at both. At least you can add to the debate then.
Old May 29th, 2006, 08:50 AM
Original Poster

Well, I've already stayed in the Royal Orchid Sheraton in Bangkok and in several other Shangri-La's, all of which were excellent hotels. This time though, I just fancied something really special, so that I can look back in my old age and know that I've stayed in one of the best hotels in the world. Maybe others will think that's sad, but it's just something I want to be able to do

As for staying in both, well we're going on a 3-night river cruise halfway through our stay in Bangkok, and so we'd prefer to stay in just the one hotel for both halves, to avoid any hassle leaving the majority of our luggage behind whilst we're away from the hotel.

Thanks for all the advice and reviews. I'm still leaning towards the Pen, but who knows? I could well be swayed ;-)
Old May 29th, 2006, 09:46 AM

Oriental all the way for us. I have stayed at both and the previous posts are correct in stating that the Penn is a lovely hotel, up to date, beautiful rooms, etc. - but I don't need the business like efficency in Thailand. Also one just cannot beat the ambiance and history of the Oriental. Each I arrive I feel like I am in my eastern home and it is always sad to leave. As for the lobby that some say is crowded with "lookers" ...what a place to sit for a bit and people watch - it's wild. I don't think you will be sorry about chosing the Oriental. It is one of the few places around that strives & achieves certain feel and pace of its very own.

Old May 29th, 2006, 10:05 AM

As I said above earlier the Pen. But, pay the $12USD for the buffet breakfast if you can not overeat. A substantial meal at 8:30AM can carry you until a 6-7PM dinner with msybe an ice cream in the afternoon. Grand Deluxe Room is a bit larger and worth it. Beacuse of heat the balcony is not worth the extra monrey.
Old May 29th, 2006, 10:34 AM

One more for the Oriental.
We stayed at both and realy disliked the Penn. Would go back to Bangkok just to stay at the Oriental!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -