Oriental Hotel Amenities

Jul 27th, 2005, 06:13 AM
Original Poster

Oriental Hotel Amenities

I just had a brain storm and thought I might give my boyfriend a Christmas gift of two nights in the Oriental Hotel or Peninsula during our trip to Thailand in February.

I have a few questions, especially for Gloria since she stays there so frequently. I did check out there web site.

I was originally considering two nights at Davis or Ibrik but I may be able to justify two nights at the Oriental or Peninsula if I gift it to my bf. He LOVES luxury hotels but our budget doesn't often allow for them.

What amenities are INCLUDED in the price? I can probably only swing for a standard room.

What is the best price I may be able to find for each hotel?

Is it possible to win a bid on Priceline for either hotel?

Is breakfast included?

Is Airport transfer included?

Will dining and cocktailing in the hotels break our bank?

Please list the reasons why this would be a great gift for him.

Thanks!
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM

What amenities are included depends on how you book it. Some rates include breakfast, some don't. What do you mean by amenities? I mean I have often stayed in a standard room and you still have a floor butler, gorgeous river view, huge bathrooms, hairdryer, newspapers, mini bar, safe, fabulous bathrobe, daily fruit basket, at least 3 floral arrangements, turn down service, slippers, free shoe shine etc.

In February your best rate for the Oriental is probably somewhere between $225 and $250. I would say you can probably get the Peninsula for around $200 and perhaps less.

The Oriental never shows up on Priceline and I don't think there is much chance of the Peninsula being there either.

Airport transfer is extra.

Breakfast may or may not be included depending on how you book. Generally it is.

Eating at the Oriental is fabulous and very reasonable by U.S. standards. They have many different restaurants with different prices. The Riverside Buffet at night is great and is all you can eat (lobster, beef, lamb chops etc) for $27. At China House you can have incredible Peking Duck for two for $20 total and you can have a gorgeous lunch buffet at Lord Jim for about $20 and dinner for $30. You can also eat at the Verandah for anywhere from $10-20.
Drinks are about the same as in the U.S. Wine, however, is very high and ming (especially winetuvnetPr

Why should you give him this as a gift? Because it is simply the most wonderful place in the world in my opinion. And in giving it to him you will be giving the two of you a memory you will not forget.

Now as to which of the two -- what kind of luxury does he prefer? The two hotels are VERY different in many ways and which one you prefer depends largely on what you are looking for in a hotel.
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:39 AM

i can only speak for the penn...for the normal base price room, nothing extra is included if purchased directly from the hotel and from some websites...just the room...on top you will pay 17.7% tax/service....breakfast may or may not be included and most likely not...

some special deals come with certain packages...but not at the base price usually...

priceline has never offered either oriental or penn in the last 3 years and i do not think it ever will...for the last year on 4.5* hotels have been offered and they are on sukhumvit: jw marriott, westin grande and sheraton grande...all at about $75+...

eating at the hotel restaurants while expensive is well worth every penny...you need only have one or two meals there...they are exciting and the food is excellent...in the pen: jesters is fantastic and may run $60 without wine....the al fresco thai rest. in the garden is unusual and the mid range set meal for two was 2200 B plus tax/service a year ago...lord jim in the oriental has a fantastic lunch buffet at about $27 pp.....

airport transfers are included in some packages but usually the more expensive ones....its cheap if you do it on your own...it might be worth looking at it....the penn has a pkg called "on the river" or something similar which includes: breakfast, one way transfer and a 3 day sky train pass and tea one day...last time i looked anyways...

some of the special web sites, like the one i have mentioned before offer overnite with tas/service and breakfast included....www.huahin.20m.com
the site gloria has posted today looks good as well...

for the penn the basic room is fantastic...you do not need to worry that you will receive an inferior room...i should thing $200 would be about average just now...
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:44 AM

sorry for the typing errors...i think you still will understand it however...
Jul 27th, 2005, 06:57 AM

Just stay at both. They are across the river from each other...not that far away. I did the Pen last August(2004) and the Royal Orchid Sheraton...up the river from the Oriental and up the river and across from the Pen.The Pen's private boat drove me up the river to the Royal Orchid Sheraton (5 minutes away...you can see it across the water from the Pen) and hand carried my luggage into the Royal Orchid Sheraton where someone at that hotel took over the luggage. I never had to touch any luggage after I had packed my bag...in my hotel room at the Pen. Hotel transfers are very easy in Bangkok. They know the meaning of SERVICE in Southeast Asia.I also did the very HIP/ new/ultra Asian modern/young Metropolitan Hotel which I really enjoyed.And then also did my all time favorite the Four Seasons in the same trip. You don't have to be stuck in one hotel.Variety is the spice of life and since you might not get to do a 5-star experience again...due to your budget...then do BOTH. Next month I'll do the Oriental...so that I'll be able to get into the hotel debate about the Pen vs The Oriental... and then back to the Four Seasons...for the rest of the trip... where I prefer to be anyhow. Happy Travels!
Jul 27th, 2005, 07:37 AM

If your BF likes luxury and new- go for the Penn- we love this hotel. The Oriental can give you more history and if that appeals more then go there.
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:03 AM
Original Poster

Wow! Thanks for the quick and awesome feedback! The posters in this Asia forum are so nice!

Guenmai, we arrive at the airport sometime between 23:30-1:00 a.m. (our flight isn't booked yet). Due to the fact that this means we won't arrive at our hotel until sometime between 2:00-3:00 a.m. would it really be worth it to pack our bags back up after only a few hours at one hotel in order to experience 2 luxury hotels? It may be worth it if we could arrange for a 4:00 p.m. check out but it may not be otherwise, right?

Gloria, I basically listed the amenities in my op.

I asked that because I read that the Shangri La has a complimentary cocktail 2 hours in the afternoon, refreshed fruit basket daily and free breakfast.

Bob, I can always get past your typos because your info is always so good!

The restaurant prices seem reasonable. I will definitely try a couple of them out.

Thanks!
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:20 AM

I"ve stayed at both Oriental and Pen, and prefer Pen. I can't speak highly enough about having breakfast along the riverside in the morning. It's soooo relaxing, just sitting there reading the newspaper, sipping coffee, having a pastry, fruit, a little at a time from the buffet. I usually sat for at least an hour each morning (at the Pen).
Carol
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:27 AM

I believe the value proposition (what you get for the money spent)is better with the Penn.
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:47 AM

I think it would be nuts to spend one day at each. If you were there a week it might be worth dividing your time but not two days which from your description is actually one day.
Jul 27th, 2005, 08:52 AM

If you love amenities, consider one of the river hotels that have club floors. The Shangri-La does as does the Royal Orchid Sheraton. Generally a club floor gives you upgraded amenities in the room (often special shampoos, bath salts, etc), in room check in and check out, full breakfast, evening cocktails and canapes and often, butler service. I've not stayed at the Shrangri-La, but I stay at the Royal Orchid regularly. Their Club room price (it's called the Towers)includes free laundry. I typically book a Towers suite, and can usually get it for under US$200 (plus tax and service). The Royal Orchid and the SHangri-La are a cut below the Oriental the the Pen, but the extra amenities make it preferable for me.
Jul 27th, 2005, 09:47 AM

To answer your question...I would check into the Pen first and then check into the Oriental second since the Oriental is on the convenient side of the river...then you can walk around shops close the Oriental. Although I checked into the Pen in the afternoon around 2:00PM, I could have very well have checked in late at night the night before and out the next day by noon. I didn't find the place very interesting. But, the bathrooms are fantastic and they alone are worth a night's stay...that's why I say go for BOTH. Why not? When will you have this chance again...due to your stated budget? You are only crossing the river(5 minutes)... not traveling to outer Mongolia or something! I'd have absolutely no problem doing both. Plus let the hotel hold your luggage...when you check out of the Pen at 12:00 noon... and go out exploring until it's time to pick it up and check into the next hotel...probably around 2:00PM. It depends on your energy level, I guess. I have a high one and move around with ease. As for the Royal Orchid Sheraton, I know Kathie loves the place...I personally can't stand the place and wouldn't give it another night...been there done that and once was enough. I had a standard room. She stays in the Towers. I was given an extensive tour of the Towers, but it wasn't for me and I was counting the hours before I could check out and head back to the Four Seasons. Happy Travels!
Jul 27th, 2005, 09:56 AM

As I have said before on this forum - Guenmai is probably a participant in the US Witness Protection Program- what else explains her constant moving from one hotel to the next every other day?????
Jul 27th, 2005, 10:50 AM

eurotraveler:
We are going to be in BKK at the same time as you and are planning on staying at both hotels during our stay there. Are you aware that it is their HIGH season there and the prices are at their highest (except for maybe Xmas)? The best price we are getting for the Oriental at that time is $484.00 US per nite. At the Pen it is more reasonable at $245.00 US per nite w/ breakfast Incl. We are looking constantly at different websites daily looking for breaks or price drops. If any happens that we notice I'll let you know.
So to answer your question, you'll probably get better bang for your buck at the Peninsula. I'll probably get fried for that comment...but
Aloha!
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:08 AM

If you go to the Oriental website you will see rates for that time period for $299.
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:34 AM

I would think you get a couple hundred dollers worth of hand soups. shower caps and toilett paper. in either.

asitravel.com offers a couple of packages to the Pen which include mercades benz tranfers too hotel and bunch other goodies.
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:49 AM

Bill....Bill...Poor Bill...You are demented! Happy Travels!
Jul 27th, 2005, 11:53 AM

Eurotraveller...Are you going to be in BAngkok only two nights or are you only going to stay at a 5-star hotel for 2 nights? If you are going to be in Bangkok for more than two nights, then check into a cheap hotel on arrival night and transfer over to the 5-star the next day. I've done this a lot in places around the world. Sleep cheaply and wake up and move to the good hotel. Happy Travels!
Jul 27th, 2005, 12:15 PM

I agree with Guen that if you are going to be in Bangkok more than 2 nights (and I hope you are) you should stay someplace cheaper for the first night and move the next day. I've never seen anyone wait for a room at the Oriental so if you get there at 10AM you will be able to have your room -- they have a huge staff and rooms are made up within minutes of your leaving.
Jul 27th, 2005, 12:39 PM

I have to agree with Goria that for a two night luxury stay, staying in both the Oriental and Pen, one night each, is nuts. It's better to pick one and stay for the two nights.

I haven't stayed at the Oriental but I've stayed at the Pen several times and it's my favorite hotel in the world. I have to disagree with Bob, the rates I got always incuded tax and service and breakfast a well. The breakfast is a huge buffet with eggs made to order and everything else you can think of, including delicious smoked salmon. You also get a daily newspaper and wonderful bathroom amenities, slippers, bathrobe (don't keep this though!), unbrella (don't keep this either). They don't have any club floors since all the floors have gorgeous large rooms and the same amenities. The bathrooms are fabulous, all marble with his and hers vanities, seperate shower and toilet in their own enclosed rooms within the bathroom, a big tub with a TV sunk into the wall above it, and wonderful mood lighting. Although they don't advertise butler service per se, there is always someone on call at any hour of the day or night to do whatever. I called once for more bottled water at 3am and within 5 minutes, 3 bottles were put into our "butler pantry". There is not one negative I can say about his hotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO