Oriental - Airport Transfer

Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:17 PM
Original Poster

Oriental - Airport Transfer

Hey Everyone,

We are staying at the Oriental on November 1-4th. The hotel is quoting us $66 for a one way trip from the new airport to the hotel. This looks to be twice the cost of other car service companies such as AAC.

Is there any benefit of using the Oriental's service over the other companies, and is it worth twice the price?

Thanks in advance....
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 10:43 PM

The driver will meet you just outside of the secure area of the airport and take you to the car and he will take care of all of your bags for you. Any prebooked transfer service should do this for you...provided they show up.

The hotel staff will be alerted for your arrival and will be ready and waiting at the door for you and greet you by name. You will likely do check in procedures in your room.
Old Sep 26th, 2006, 11:22 PM

hi bsp8181,
the car service costs about $30. if you would like to get more infomation, please contact me: [email protected]
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 12:12 AM

The service is amazing especially the return transfer as they help you check in and get your VAT refund processed. From memory it was a Rolls Royce. If you can afford it I do recommend using their service.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:53 AM

i find the hotel cars much more expensive for exactly the same service and on top of that they add the 17.7% tax and service charge which makes it even more expensive...

i use AAC for this reason
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 06:55 AM

Any hotel's service will cost you at least double the airport limo fare. I always use one of teh airport limo services as there is never any question about them showing up - they are located right there at the airport.

If this is a special occasion and you want the Rolls, go with the Oriental. IF not, the limo services are very efficient, and they use Volvos or Mercedes.
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 07:58 AM

I would definitely use the airport limo service over paying $66. to get to the Oriental.I think I used it when I stayed at the Oriental. I've used airport limo services, hotel services, and my apartment building's service and I select which one to use depending on the price and time I arrive into Bangkok. If I've arrived off of an after midnight flight, then I've used the hotel service. During daytime arrivals, I've used all three depending on the situation, but the airport limo service has been just fine. On this last trip,last month, I couldn't find my driver...for my apartment service...for 30 minutes and was furious....had to find change, go to a public phone and call my building, and lose face (smiles) because I was tired and ticked. Then, I walked back over to the area where the person should have been and took a seat behind the guys holding the signs...to wait as my building had instructed me to do... only to happen to notice the guy standing directly in front of me holding a sign with the name of my building on it. He had been standing there, but not holding up the sign when I walked by him at least 4 times. The driver was in the car waiting. I wish I had taken the airport limo service that day. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 09:08 AM

Would someone please include the address for AAC's web site. I've tried goolgle but didn't find it. Thanks
Old Sep 27th, 2006, 10:35 AM

[email protected]

aac limo.

note the double t's
Old Sep 28th, 2006, 09:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the great feedback! We arrive from LAX on 11/1 at 6:40am. As long as our flight is not delayed, we will be arriving at the Oriental much earlier than the standard check-in time.

Any thoughts on the likelihood of them letting us check-in?

What's the best way to relax if they do not let us check-in?

Will using the hotel's car service from airport(as opposed to AAC) in any way increase our chances of being able to be checked in?

Thanks again!
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 02:48 AM

They might let you check in early. Did yo u book directly with them? If so, you could ask them right now about early check in, or if you might use the sports center's showers and such. I'm sure they will be as accommodating as they can.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:13 AM

I always use hotel pickup for early arrival. So far we have always been taken immediately to our room. Maybe coincidence but...
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 06:57 AM

bsp8181. We've been to Thailand 4 times and checked in at hotels 12 times. At no time did the check-in take longer than 10 minutes and most were under 5 minutes. Avoiding checking in should probably not be part of the equation.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 08:45 AM

It is highly unusual for you not to be able to check in early at the Oriental. However, I would let them know the time of your arrival. I always use their car service. The little bit of extra money over the airport limo is worth it to me after a long flight.
Old Sep 29th, 2006, 09:02 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the respones. In my prevous communications with the Oriental, they recommended that I book the prior night, so that when we arrive after our flight, we have a guaranteed room. There's no way in the world I'm paying for another night, for a few hours sleep. I guess I will try again with them by requesting an early check-in. Thanks for your help, let me know if you have any other ideas....
Old Sep 30th, 2006, 08:05 AM

They said the samething to us. Of course we were not paying for the night before we arrived. But the hotel car was at the airport for us and and the room was ready. Using their car was just a small extra fee that might help us get what we wanted (the room at 8am).
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 08:06 PM

BSP...The Oriental should let you check in early. I checked in early when I stayed there. The LA-Bangkok, non-stop has a great arrival time. I took that particular flight, for the first time,in December. In the past, I've always been on either on the L.A.-Tokyo-Bangkok flight or the L.A.-Osaka-Bangkok flight. Happy Travels!
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 05:28 AM

I agree with Bob, AAC is the way to go
Old Oct 5th, 2006, 06:50 AM

AAC rates between Suvarnabhumi and most Bangkok hotels are 1015 Baht (including 65B tolls), and 1115 Baht to the Pen/Marriott.

Details on their website, www.airporttaxithai.com.