Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Phuket and Phi Phi Accommodations?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 07:24 AM
Colleen

Hi guys,<BR>Just doing some research on places to stay in the southern area of Thailand...has anyone been to any of the following places to stay?<BR><BR>Phi Phi Coral<BR>Phi Phi Natural<BR><BR>In on the Beach - Karon beach<BR>South Sea Resort<BR>Marina Phuket<BR>Serene Resort<BR>Tropical Garden Resort<BR>

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 09:53 AM
Marilyn

Hi Colleen -- We have stayed twice at Phi Phi Coral and like it a lot. Phi Phi Natural is on the same beach (Laem Tong). This beach is well away from the overdeveloped nightmare of Tonsai Bay and the port, and any of the 3-4 properties on the beach will get you most of these advantages.<BR><BR>PP Coral is on one of the nicest parts of the beach, while Natural is on the rockier end. <BR><BR>At PP Coral I would highly recommend paying the small amount extra for a beach-front bungalow -- you will be only a few steps from the sand. The hotel restaurant is casual, right on the beach, and has good food. We ate there every night. The bungalows are basic, but clean, and comfortable enough. Staff is typically Thai, i.e., friendly, helpful, warm and welcoming.<BR><BR>There is a dive operation right next door, and it's easy to rent a longtail boat for snorkeling, island visits, or a shopping trip into Tonsai Bay.<BR><BR>We consider PP Coral to be a little slice of heaven. Email directly if you have any further questions. There is some trick to coordinating your arrival at Phuket airport and catching the ferry to Phi Phi, if that is the way you are arriving. Also, not all ferries are created equal, nor do they all charge the same price. The hotel can help you with these arrangements as well. Have you gone to their website?

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 11:58 AM
Colleen

Hi Marilyn,<BR>Thanks so much for your advice! How long did you stay at PP Coral?<BR>I did check out their website. I will also be staying in Phuket (Kata or Karon beach area) as well so do you recommend doing a certain area first? I'm not sure whether it would be better to stay in Phuket first and then Phi Phi or the other way around. We'll be flying into Bangkok where we hope to spend a couple of days as well, so will probably fly into Phuket from there.<BR>Thanks again!

Old Nov 20th, 2002, 06:07 PM
Marilyn

We stayed at PP Coral in 2000 and 2001, for about 4 days the first time and a week the second time.<BR><BR>I can't think of any solid reason for staying in either place first, although PP Coral is certainly more &quot;removed&quot; from the world than Phuket. Personally, I would choose to stay in Phuket first primarily because of the ferry schedule. The last ferry to Phi Phi goes at about 1:30pm. So if you work the time backwards, you would have a very long travel day starting quite early.<BR><BR>Bangkok to airport. Flight to Phuket. Luggage to claim? Taxi or other transportation to ferry pier (this can take as much as an hour in traffic). Ferry to Phi Phi. Depending on the ferry you take, you will either then have to get a longtail boat to PP Coral on the other side of the island, or if you catch the right ferry they will let you off right AT Laem Tong Beach. <BR><BR>If you stay in Phuket first you will break up this multi-part journey into 2 different half-days of easy travel.<BR><BR>By the way, if you have not been in Bangkok before, DO pay the extra few dollars for the driver to take the expressway between the airport and the city. It is well worth it as the trip can otherwise be a traffic nightmare and take hours.

Old Dec 30th, 2002, 09:02 PM
Dawne

Hi<BR>I hope I'm not too late, but I just recently stayed at the Phi Phi Princess. I cannot say enough about this hotel. Cute bungalows on the beach, excellent restaurants, very clean and friendly. Quiet, yet very close to the middle of all the shopping and sights of the island. You must also go on a boat tour of the surrounding islands and beaches, absolutely beautiful!<BR>Have fun on your trip!

Old Jan 2nd, 2003, 02:05 PM
topping

for claire - ttt

Old Jan 3rd, 2003, 09:34 AM
John

Just a suggestion on Kata.. . judging by your list, you can spend a little extra (I know Marina Phuket was a little pricey). ..so spend even a little more and stay at Mom Tri's on kata Beach. . . Do NOT ask for the boathouse accomodation, ask for the villas. . . there are only six of them on a private peninsula overlooking the ocean with an attentive staff! This is the stuff of paradise, but certainly is NOT budget by any means. Expect to pay between $250-$400 American. But I must say worth every penny. . .we splurged for this one. . .way above our means, but was a needed respite from a month of travel in budget accomodations. Two other recommendations in Kata on Phuket: The Orchidacca, formerly Pop Cottage, . .full service (pool, restaurants, views) at a moderate price (between 60 and $120 American; and Da Bungalows, opposite the Boathouse, clean, brand new rooms, with AC, some with beach views, no phone or TV, but Refrig and cute place. . $30 American. .this is the budget option. Good Luck!