Reload this Page >

Koh Phi Phi advice?

Search

Koh Phi Phi advice?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28th, 2002, 02:41 PM
grant

Koh Phi Phi advice?

My wife and I are travelling at the high season to Thailand and for part of our trip we'll be staying at the bayview on Phi Phi island. Any advice? How much do boats to Krabi cost? How long is the ride? To Phuket? Things to avoid?<BR><BR>thanks<BR><BR>Grant

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:46 AM
Colin

When I visited, it was only 600 baht for a ferry from Krabi to Phi Phi. And it took around 2 and a half hours.<BR><BR>No experience of the Bayview, but if it's in a central, Tonsai Bay location then I can imagine it being very busy at high season. But don't let it put you off. <BR><BR>Koh Phi Phi is absolutely stunning.<BR><BR>_________________________________ ______<BR>My Thailand Travelogue & Photographs<BR>http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~fos007/fb2b.htm<BR>Bangkok,Chiang Rai,Krabi,Phi Phi

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 01:49 AM
Colin

I forgot to mention that it took 4 hours to sail from Phi Phi to Phuket though !!<BR><BR>But I'm sure this is not the normal times ! The captain decided to take the scenic route around Phi Phi Leh. That in itself took over an hour!<BR><BR>I'm sure an average trip takes 2 and a half hours also.<BR><BR>Have fun !!<BR><BR>_______________________________________< BR>My Thailand Travelogue & Photographs<BR>http://www.bangor.ac.uk/~fos007/fb2b.htm<BR>Bangkok,Chiang Rai,Krabi,Phi Phi<BR>

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 02:28 PM
Marilyn

The most usual ferry route is Phuket to Phi Phi, since Phuket is such a major resort and most people going to Phi Phi fly into Phuket, not Krabi. <BR><BR>There are a lot of ferries with a range of prices. Some of these boats are large comfortable ferries and some are little dinky tubs. Some tickets include transfer from the airport to the ferry pier, and some do not. Some of them are geared toward day trippers and include lunch and the "scenic" route around Phi Phi Le. If you just want to get to Phi Phi, make sure you are on a direct boat.<BR><BR>Check out the ferry schedule at <BR>www.baanthai.com/touristik/faehree.shtml or www.phi-phi.com/travel/getting-there.html<BR><BR>One thing to know about: the ferry schedule is pretty frequent during the day but there are NO ferries from Phuket to Phi Phi after mid-afternoon. (Sorry, I can't remember the exact time of the last ferry.) Check carefully what time your plane gets in and if you can make the ferry of your choice. The airport is about an hour drive from the ferry pier. If you miss the regularly scheduled ferry, you will not believe how expensive a private boat is!!<BR><BR>Your hotel should be able to help you coordinate all this, and certainly will for your return trip.<BR><BR>We have stayed on Phi Phi at Laem Tong beach and are not fond of Tansai Bay, which is an overdeveloped shanty town, but I have heard that some of the resorts there are quite lovely. The area is very beautiful and I'm sure you will have a fabulous trip.

Old Aug 29th, 2002, 03:52 PM
Veronica

Be sure you are not near Tongsai Bay as it is a dump now. No ones seems to tackle the garbage problem at all. The last boat is about 1130, if you miss it you will have to wait until the nexy morning.