Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Opinions on Northwest to Narita, Japan connectiing to Hong Kong-Immunizations for Hong Kong and Thailand

Search

Opinions on Northwest to Narita, Japan connectiing to Hong Kong-Immunizations for Hong Kong and Thailand

Search this Thread

Old Jul 30th, 2001, 07:21 PM
taurus

We are going for the first time to Hong Kong, Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. Flying Northwest. How are seats? Do we need shots - Thailand does not require them, but health dept. suggests to get them - any opinions with regard to same - Anyone travel there in October/November? We are going end of October into middle of November. Going on Grand Circle Tours. Anyone taken above trip? We would like whatever information you can give us. We are very excited about the trip. Are shorts ok to wear in all of the above places. <BR>Thank you.

Old Jul 31st, 2001, 02:14 PM
lynn

Hi - <BR> <BR>You really don't need any types of shots unless you will be trekking in the woods or something like that. We were in Thailand for 3 weeks last November (Bangkok and Chiang Mai) and had no shots. <BR> <BR>HK is a very modern city with little "pockets" of the old world mixed in. You will certainly not need shots there. <BR> <BR>Just remember, BOTTLED WATER ONLY! <BR> <BR>You can wear shorts pretty much everywhere but be careful in Thailand. You cannot wear them in Wats. <BR> <BR>Have a great time. <BR> <BR>Lynn <BR>T-106 <BR> <BR> <BR> <BR>

Old Aug 1st, 2001, 05:03 AM
m

I'm a frequent flyer on Northwest. My own opinion is that their economy seats are progressively shrinking in size. I'm small and short so I know what I'm talking about when I feel that I can't move. That aside, the flights and service are average. I've found their staff (flight, counter, customer service, etc.) to be very helpful and nice.

Old Aug 11th, 2001, 06:26 PM
Taurus

Thanks for the reply. Happy to hear we do not need shots. <BR>We have been switched to United instead of Northwest. Non-stop from Chicago to Hong kong. <BR>Thanks

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 12:45 PM
John

Hi We were on Northwest and the seats were pretty tight in coach. If you could go business it makes a big difference. We did not get shots. Grand Circle is excellent. No problems with them.

Old Sep 8th, 2001, 02:18 PM
fran

We are going to Thailand and Bali and indeed have all gotten shots. Its a personal thing. For me better safe than sorry!

Old Sep 9th, 2001, 10:14 AM
Kathie

Immunizations: <BR>As the above poster mentioned, whether you chose to get shots is a personal decision. I would read the cdc website for their recommendations. General recommendatopns for travel immunizations are a tetnaus booster, polio booster, and Hepatitis A vaccine (all good for 10 years). You may also want to get a thyphoid vaccine (now good for 10 years). If you travel much, it would be wise to have all of these. I think the question for you would be whether you need anti-malarials for northern Thailand.