Only two weeks before China trip!

Old Jun 24th, 2007, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Only two weeks before China trip!

After much research and reading many Fodors postings, I've settled on an itinerary for my July China Trip. Thanks for all the great ideas. As it's only in 2 weeks, I'd appreciate any help I can get - especially with the Datong portion!

July 9 - Depart US
July 10 - Arrive Beijing
July 11 to 16 - Beijing (work)
July 17 - Travel to Datong (via bus? or train?) from Beijing
July 18 - Visit Yungang Caves and Hanging Temple (take CITS tour)
July 19 - Head to Xi'an (via train or fly from Datong? or do I need to go to Taiyuan or Beijing? I'd like to go the fastest way)
July 20 - Tour Xi'an
July 21 - Fly to Guilin
July 22 - Guilin - day to trip Longsheng - late day head to Yangshuo (Li River Retreat)
July 23 - Yangshuo - Li river tour
July 24 - Yangshuo - more relaxing
July 25 - Head back to Guilin and fly back to Beijing
July 26 - Beijing
July 27 - Fly home

Right now I'll be in Datong for 2 nights due to travel time and it sounds like 1 night would be better. I could possibly leave on the 16th instead of 17th and take the overnight train. Or I could try to leave on the 17th right after touring the Caves and the Hanging Temple. I'm looking to maximize my time. All suggestions are much appreciated!
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM

we have a similar itinerary in Nov.
Our plan is to train back to Beijing from Datong and taking the "Z" train to Xian, someone from this board has suggested that trains between Datong and Xian are older and slower. We also plan to train to Luoyang and back to Xian before flying to Guilin and Yangshuo, we are flying home from Shanghai.

Would like to hear your experience later, have a great trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM

Datong's airport has very limited commercial flights, and none to Xian. You either have to go to Taiyuan, or like you said, back to Beijing and then train there. (Or fly).

The direct train from Datong to Xian is a once-a-day slow train with no A/C. Takes 16hr41min, with 17 intermediate stops.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 07:40 PM

The Li River cruise runs from Guilin to Yongshou. You might need to rearrange your schedule slightly to accomodate this. We were just there a week ago....it is the rainy season so be prepared! Tends to rain most mornings and clear off in the afternoon was the pattern we experienced. The Li River was running so high that the river show they perform in Guilin was cancelled. We stayed at the Sheraton in Guilin and the Paradise in Yongshou. Both were nice. Get a foot massage at Dr Li's in Yangshou....very good. We also took one of the large "golf carts" for an extensive ride thru the countryside. That turned out to be quite a highlight of our trip to Yangshou. Great scenery and a real view of rural China life. Have a great trip.
Old Jun 24th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Original Poster

How many days did you stay in Guilin and Yangshuo? Did you like one more over the other?

I was only planning to be in Guilin for 1 night and Yangshuo for 3 nights but will need to change this to take into account your point about the Li River Cruise departing from Guilin. With the rain you mentioned, hopefully there's still things to do!
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

jcgrego - I also wanted to ask if you used a guide while in Guilin and/or Yangshuo and if you had any recommendations on who to contact. I've heard a guide can be really helpful! Thanks.
Old Jun 25th, 2007, 08:57 AM

we are in contact with jade leo who has been recomended in this forum as a guide in the Guilin area.
We will travel during August.
the link to his web page is:
http://www.guilinprivatetours.com/main/home/main.php
Regards
Josep Maria

Old Jun 25th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Original Poster

Josep Maria - thanks for the guide referral. I'll definitely check it out.

I now have an updated itinerary. After talking further to my husband, we've decided to take a Yangtze cruise. While we know that the cruise gets mixed reviews, we think we may regret not doing it so we will be taking Datong out of our itinerary. Here's what it looks like now:

July 9 - Depart US
July 10 - Arrive Beijing (Holiday Inn Central Plaza)
July 11 to 16 - Beijing: Great Wall, Forbidden City, Tiannamen Square, etc; PM take overnight train (soft sleeper) to Xi'an
July 17 - Arrive in Xi'an (Bell Tower Hotel). Visit Terracotta Warriors, etc.
July 18 - Fly to Guilin (Waterfall Hotel). Visit Longsheng.
July 19 - Guilin. Take Li River Cruise, late day head to Yangshuo (Li River Retreat)
July 20 - Yangshuo. Bike tour, relax.
July 21 - Yangshuo. More relaxing!
July 22 - AM fly to Chongquing. See Dazu cliff scuptures if time permits. PM depart Yangtze Cruise (President Four boat)
July 23-25 - Yangtze Cruise, PM arrive in Yichang. Fly back to Beijing(Holiday Inn Central Plaza)
July 26 - Beijing, any last minute shopping
July 27 - Fly home!

Any issues or recommendations with my itinerary? Any place where you would stay longer or reduce time? I can't wait for my trip to start!
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 03:26 PM
Original Poster

I'd appreciate any last minute feedback on my itinerary! Thanks!
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 05:38 PM

It's too bad that Datong is dropped for the cruise. One of my guide books suggested the option of Hydrofoil, four daily from Chongqing to Yichang for an 11 hour trip.
Would like to hear your personal experience of the cruise and your trip when you come back, have a great trip.
Old Jun 29th, 2007, 06:55 PM

Don't know about the hydrofoils now, but in years past, that means 1960's Soviet-built crafts with diesel smell and scratched up windows. I don't see the point of going through the 3 Gorges in them.
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 04:46 AM

travelgo7:

are you planning to fly into Guilin early on the 18th? you should be to have enough time to visit Longsheng that day

personally, I wouldn't take the Li River cruise from Guilin to Yangshuo if I was then going to spend 2 full days in Yangshuo--you can arrange a great boat trip on the best parts of the river from Yangshuo through the Li River retreat or your guide--I can also recommend jade leo mentioned above.

I believe the Li river cruise excursions from Guilin put you on a boat from Guilin in the morning, give you some time for shopping in Yangshuo, then bus you back to Guilin mid-afternoon. It won't make sense for you to do this then turn around to travel back to Yangshuo late in the day.

happy travels!

maytraveller
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

Great feedback. I also realized that I would be back tracking a bit as well.

As I won't get to Guilin until afternoon of the 18th, I was thinking of just doing some sightseeing in town and then heading to the Longsheng Terraces early on the 19th. I was also considering possibly spending the night there and then head to Yangshuo on the 20th for 2 nights instead of the original 3.

As I know that there are also 1 day tours for Longsheng Terraces, is it worthwhile to spend more time there and spend the night? Any opinions?
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:31 PM

Travlgo:

The Longsheng terraces are best visited in the fall. I have no idea what the area is like in July. You should check with someone who's been there in July before you decide to make the long ride.

In any case, if you haven't checked out my web page on our trip to China, please do. It might help you in your planning.

http://www.travel.stv77.com/china/china.htm
Old Jun 30th, 2007, 07:46 PM
Original Poster

sssteve - I did read through your travel site and found it really useful! I'll definitely be printing out some of the pages and bring them on my trip. It sounded like you had a wonderful trip. I'm hoping for the same for mine!

Old Jul 1st, 2007, 12:25 AM

We did have a great time and are already thinking about our next trip to China - after the Olympics!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 07:01 AM
Original Poster

I leave for China in 2 days! I can't believe it's here already...

I have the first part of my trip already booked (Beijing hotel, overnight train to Xi'an, hotel in Xi'an and Yangshuo) and plan to book the rest when I arrive in Beijing. It's going to be a great adventure!!!

Any last minute tips from past China travellers? I know the weather is going to be incredibly hot (90+) and it looks like rain is likely for many of the days I'm there. I'm bringing comfortable clothes, a good camera, a rain jacket and a sense of humor! I already know there's going to be MANY occassions in the 3 weeks we're in China where my husband and I will be confused or lost. We'll just have to roll with whatever happens. That's the great thing about traveling!
Old Jul 7th, 2007, 02:38 PM

travelgo7

You and I are leaving for Asia on the same day! But I'm heading to Bangkok.

Have a great time! I like your attitude about rolling with whatever happens. More people should travel that way... we'd have fewer complaints in the long run. When you travel, and especially to exotic places, things can happen!! I'm glad I can look back and laugh at many of the adventures my DH and I have had!

Carol
Old Jul 8th, 2007, 02:21 PM

Hi, Travelgo7, you are welcome to China and hope you will you enjoy your trip to Guilin Yangshuo.