Oneworld Alliance: Japan Airlines and American Airlines

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last month, I was trying to get to the United States from Asia to attend a funeral. I reserved a ticket on the American Airlines website, but it wouldn't issue an e-ticket. As a result, I called AA, and they told me to just get my ticket at the American Airlines counter at the airport in Ho Chi Minh City. There is no American Airlines counter at the airport in Ho Chi Minh City. Japan Airlines was partnering the flight, but I had to pay $2161 instead of the $990 fare that I had reserved the ticket under. Then the TV broke on the airplane. Then flight attendents kept bumping my aisle seat when I was trying to sleep and I was only able to watch them opening the coffee packets with their mouths as entertainment. Then, my flight was late and I missed the funeral.

When I contact customer service of each airline, they offer the following replies:

"I apologize for the confusion over your being told to go to the American Airlines ticket counter. However, you were subsequently correctly instructed to have your ticket issued by Japan Airlines. We understand that there was a discrepancy in the fare that you paid." -- Russell Shady, Customer Relations, American Airlines

"Japan Airlines should have been able to issue your ticket as quoted." -- Russell Shady, Customer Relations, American Airlines

"Please understand that our airport agent could not locate your reservation due to the fact that, as stated in your correspondence, American Airlines never issued the ticket you put on hold. Please note that it is the complete responsibility of the traveler and the party that you purchase your ticket from, in this case, American Airlines, to take the appropriate steps to properly issue one's ticket." -- Hiroyuki Ota, Director, Customer Service Support Center for The Americas, Japan Airlines

"While American Airlines does not have a ticket counter at the airport in Ho Chi Minh City, as a member of oneworld®, Japan Airlines is able to issue tickets on behalf of American Airlines. We have resources available for our partners to access the applicable pricing information and process a ticket as priced. I am very sorry to hear that this was not done in Ho Chi Minh City." -- Russell Shady, Customer Relations, American Airlines

Any Advice? Or am I screwed?
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:13 AM

I would continue to press AA to make it right. Be nice, be firm, be clear about what you want. Ask for something reasonable like a refund of the difference in ticket prices and be willing to make a minor compromise (such as accepting a credit voucher with one of the airlines).

Do you hold a premium frequent flier status with one of the airlines? If so, remind them of it, nicely of course.
Old Aug 11th, 2007, 11:39 AM

Post this on Flyertalk.com. They are very helpful on that site.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM

write to the CEO of AA....
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:09 AM

i am curious that you have never posted on fodors before??
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

American Airlines wrote, "Please maintain contact with their (JAL) personnel to resolve this matter."

I called JAL for an update today and the agent told me that I've contacted JAL too many times since July 8th and to not contact JAL anymore.
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 07:13 PM

so much for asian service...i would call back after a reasonable time....i might ask them what that time would be
Old Aug 15th, 2007, 11:09 PM

How many days went by between when you reserved a ticket and went to JAL to buy it?

What does "reserved a ticket" mean anyway?
Old Aug 17th, 2007, 09:14 AM

Be prepared that it will take months (and I don't mean 2- months, but more likely 6-12 months) to be resolved. Keep asking them and don't let them think that you give up easily.

All Oneworld airlines are terrible in post-journey customer service.

Good Luck!