one night and half a day in Bangkok

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 10:29 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Enroute to Yangon on 11/23 we arrive in Bangkok at 4:00 p.m. for an overnight and approximately half-day stay. Our departure Air Asia flight is at 16:25. Despite having read the many queries and responses about pros and cons of various hotels and locations, we still haven't decided on a river or central city location. Since we arrive at one airport and will depart from the other, it's not clear which location might make the most sense logistically--and allow us to see a teeny bit of the city.

We did have an evening in Bangkok in 2004 on our way back from Cambodia/Vietnam; we stayed at an airport hotel and I think had dinner in town at the Four Seasons.

Right now we're leaning toward the Peninsula--but if a river location really adds quite a bit of time to our getting to our departure airport, it'd be helpful to know.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 01:26 PM

For me, it would be worth an entire day of traveling just to have breakfast on the verandah at the Mandarin Oriental.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 01:38 PM

The river locations are fine for getting to/from both airports.
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:30 PM

penn for sure... decent access to the airport.t posted a note about a GTG date... maybe you could join us?
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM

I second the Penn and their breakfast by the river is the best in Bangkok - do get it included in your rate, though...
Old Jul 22nd, 2012, 03:19 PM

Your post caught my eye because I stopped in the Bangkok Peninsula for a short time (2 nts) before heading to Yangon in November 2010. I was uncertain where to book & truly enjoyed my stay. Sorry I can't help with the airport commutes, but I'd recommend the Pen - if budget allows - wholeheartedly.

If you are not too tired upon arrival, I would recommend the Pen's sunset/evening river cruise on their little junk.

If you have not seen the Grand Palace/Emerald Buddha, they are amazing and on the river - not far away and not to be missed.

No matter what you do with your time, waking up to the view of the Chao Phraya river is unforgettable. And just a taste of what is ahead of you in Myanmar.

Hope this is helpful – Enjoy!
Old Jul 23rd, 2012, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help on this.

We've booked the Pen for our one night in Bangkok. Amazing that a night with breakfast, although not cheap, will be quite a bait less than a night at The Strand in Yangon. (DC, The Mandarin is about twice as much as the Pen!! And all the reviews of The Pen are terrific.)

m_bran--we haven't seen anything, really, in Bangkok--only had one evening there in 2004--had a lovely dinner in the city and walked around a teeny bit. The sunset evening river cruise sounds lovely.

Bob, if/ when the date for the November GTG is firm, we can see whether it'll work for us. (we're just there the evening of the 23rd) . It sounds like fun if the date works out.