One day, two nights in southern Bali

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21st, 2012, 09:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My partner and I are spending two nights in Bali before picking up an expedition cruise to Borneo next year. We've spent some time in Bali before (ten days in and around Ubud) and are not trying to be tourists this time: we're just arriving a couple of days early so we can be sure we don't miss our ship because of flight delays etc. The ship leaves from the port at Benoa in the south. We're looking for suggestions for a low key but reasonable quality hotel within an hour of the port. We arrive in the evening and have a full day to relax before we board the cruise so would welcome any advice on how to fill in the day as well. We're not into nightclubs and partying, but enjoy cultural things so temples, markets and just wandering in interesting areas would be great.
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 11:43 AM

I'm interested in the cruise you are taking. Could you share the name of the ship and/or cruise or tour company that you are using? Where does the cruise go?
Old Nov 24th, 2012, 12:56 PM

There are hundreds of places to stay within an hour of Benoa but not much in the way of culture other than beach resort culture.

If you'd be satisfied with beach and spa you could choose any of the Southern beaches -- Sanur, Nusa Dua, Seminyak, Jimbaran. The former for sunrise, the latter for sunset. Personally I like Seminyak, but for a short stay any of the others would do.

In Seminyak, The Legian is pricy but wonderful, right on Petitenget beach. The Colony is charming and a good value, not on the beach but a short walk. There are often ceremonies at Petitenget temple or on the beach nearby. Lots of choices in restaurants and spas.

If you want to get out of the beach area I'd suggest the Alila in Manggis, north of Benoa. It may be more like an hour and a half drive. Lovely grounds, good food, nice spa, right on the ocean and accessible to East Bali's culture and arts and crafts.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

susiesan, we're taking an Orion Cruise, which goes from Bali to Singapore over ten days stopping in Borneo and Sarawak. It carries only 100 people and because it is a small ship it can get quite close to shore, anchor and then load travellers onto Zodiac boats for getting to shore or going up jungle rivers etc. They also land you on small islands and organise snorkelling and so forth. So it's active and different from the usual cruising. Have a look at the Orion Cruises website
www.orionexpeditions.com/

Thanks for your advice Marmot. I'll look into the Colony in Seminyak and the Alila.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 01:22 PM
Original Poster

Marmot, I looked at both hotels and really want to stay at the Alila one day. However I've booked the Colony as it is closer for this trip. Thanks again for some great advice.
Old Nov 26th, 2012, 02:59 PM

My favorite Seminyak restaurants, all near the Colony. La Lucciola is a short walk. Great for breakfast & lunch too.

Best eclectic food: Sardine, Sarong, Mamasan
Wonderful atmosphere all day: La Lucciola
Especially for sunset drinks: KuDeTa
Fancy: Metis, Mosaic
Old Nov 27th, 2012, 10:04 PM
Original Poster

Yum, yum. How did you know we were foodies? Thx.
Old Nov 28th, 2012, 01:28 AM

I'd say La Lucciola and KuDeTa for atmosphere. Sardine, Sarong, Metis for food (and atmosphere). Mamasan is more casual. I haven't been to the beach Mosaic yet, but the Ubud original has an excellent reputation.

For all, you need to make a reservation.