One day enough in Suzhou?

Feb 21st, 2000, 08:40 PM
Margot

One day enough in Suzhou?

Is one day enough in Suzhou? I was wondering if it is possible to catch the train in the morning from Shanghai and see the sights in one day, returning to Shanghai by evening. I am considering taking a group tour that starts in Shanghai, but does not visit Suzhou. If I fly in early, I could go on my own to Suzhou to see the Venice of the east. Comments? Observations? Thank you.

Feb 22nd, 2000, 05:38 AM
dan woodlief

It depends on how much you want to see. I went from Shanghai in the early morning. I was with a college group and a guide, so I didn't set my own schedule. We visited a silk factory, two gardens, the canal, did a little shopping, had a leisurely lunch, and spent a little time talking to Chinese people on the street. I would think you could easily make time for temples as well if traveling on your own schedule. It is worth the trip, and Suzhou makes a good change of pace away from the hustle and bustle of Shanghai.

Feb 22nd, 2000, 05:47 AM
dan woodlief

I should have mentioned that we did have the use of a bus while in Suzhou, but I would think it wouldn't be too hard to use cabs. You may want to have a guidebook with the names of the sites in Chinese so the cab will know where to take you.

Feb 24th, 2000, 06:28 AM
Ricky

I spent 2 days in Suzhou last Sept because we visited East Hill (not recommended). Anyway, I suggest to spend 1.5 days to visit 2-3 major gardens (no need to visit all), Tiger Hill (recommended) and walk around the shopping street Kwun Chen Street (can't remember the spelling) at night.
Suzhou is a very relaxing place, so spare more time there instead of Shanghai. We spent 2 days in Shanghai, which is enough.
Need further info, email me.