Flight to Tokyo, Japan

Feb 16th, 2000, 11:04 AM
michelle

Flight to Tokyo, Japan

My husband are planning a trip to Japan in November 2000. We are currently looking at airlines (and having major sticker shock at $2400 round trip for tickets). It appears that our choices of airlines from Baltimore/Washington DC are Northwest, United, All Nippon, and Singapore Air. Has anyone had any experience with these airlines on the flight to Japan? Also, any good suggestions for what to do in Japan (excluding gardens and temples).
Thanks

Feb 16th, 2000, 04:48 PM
Michael

Hi,

I'm from the west coast and coach from here is typically $800-1,000 round trip. If all of the airlines are priced the same definitely fly Singapore. Their service is far superior to the other 3, especially "Northworst" and "United We Don't Care".

Feb 16th, 2000, 07:33 PM
john

Definitely go with Singapore. It is generally considered to be the best airline (or right up there). The service is top notch and their planes typically give you more room, even in coach.

$1200 a person is about normal, although most airlines will discount from time to time in the 700-1000 range per person.

Feb 17th, 2000, 05:08 AM
dan woodlief

Does Japan Airlines fly out of D.C./Baltimore? I was very pleased with their service. Might give you another option. We flew out of Chicago.

Feb 20th, 2000, 08:32 AM
merriem

For sure, do not fly UNITED! We just returned from Toyko to Chicago, and we only flew them because of our FF Miles, which made the trip free. I sure would have had to pay for it. They put the "senior" flight attendents on it, and they should have retired ages ago. Very bad service.....

Feb 25th, 2000, 07:44 AM
Florence

Hi,
For suggestions about what to do in Japan, look at www.jnto.go.jp (Japan Tourist information center). They have all the info you need (and more). Also, when in Japan, go to the Tourist Information Center (TIC), they'll suggest plenty to do, help you book hotels, etc.