Off to India in 5 Days- Packing Advice

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I've been lurking on the Asia board for while, so I've read many of the postings about India - including the tips for newbies, etc.

My friend and I leave for India in 5 days! I'm very excited, but a little worried that I'll forget something or make a fashion faux pas.

We've booked with Compass and are going to Delhi, Agra, Ranthambore, Jaipur and Udaipur. I've been watching the 10 day forecasts and it looks WARM. But, I've been told by a colleague that it's important to keep shoulders and knees covered. Are capri's ok? Cap sleeves?

Also, one of the posters here mentioned that Western tourists end up looking shabby in nice restaurants, while another said to leave my high heels behind (I'm a female, if the capri and cap sleeve question didn't give that away!)

Any thoughts or suggestions on clothes & shoes - or anything else - would be helpful and appreciated.

I do plan on posting a trip report when I get back....

Maura

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:28 PM

Days will be warm but nor unduly unpleasant at this time of the year in the places you mention. Nights will be cooler.

There are a few simple commonsense tips a Western woman needs to bear in mind while in India: don't wear skin-hugging clothes, see-through clothes, and don't show too much skin. That means don't show cleavage, keep skirts below the knees.

In Rajasthan and Delhi at this time of the year, best to come with cotton clothing.

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 08:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
High heels and Indian streets are not compatible! You could take them along for posh restaurants, but if you plan to do any walking around, you'll need something sturdier.
Old Oct 6th, 2007, 07:36 AM

We found a lot of use for Imodium-AD; Indian food, you know. You can get it non-spicy if you ask for it. Otherwise, it can be pretty hot. Our elderly stomachs may have been largely at fault. Drink only water from sealed bottles. Use plenty of Purell as a hand cleaner.
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:32 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks!

The countdown is now down to two days. I might start counting down the hours pretty soon!
Old Oct 8th, 2007, 08:04 AM

Ranthambore will likely be quite cold in the morning, if you start out early, which you absolutely should.

Old Oct 8th, 2007, 07:03 PM

Lots of Purell. Handi wipes that are in individual packets. Cough drops for all of the dust you will inhale.
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 03:51 PM

Here's our packing list hope it helps.

http://colinspics.phanfare.com/show/...24987/file.jpg

Colin
Old Oct 9th, 2007, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Thank you again everyone! I leave in the morning and I'm hopeful that I will remember everything. (Unlike a rather unfortunate vacation where I forgot to pack extra underwear.)

Colin - your packing list is exceptional!

The other tips were very helpful... I made a stop today to pick up cough drops, immodium and purell.

Thanks again
Old Oct 10th, 2007, 12:22 PM

I am in Delhi now, and it is quite hot! BUt I have enjoyed shopping for clothes here and have adopted the Bengali outfit (the long top, big loose pants, and long scarf) to wear white I am here. It feels very cool and confortable.